Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
So the USA is finally catching up to Australia on something! We've had unlocked phones for sale since the 3G ;)

If you define 'catching' up as being able to use an iPhone on TMobile without access to data. Wow.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
A friend of mine in the US is paying 87$ every month for his 2yr AT&T contract and he doesn't even have past 2GB data. So in 2 years, 12*2*8 = 2088$. I think it's cheaper to buy it unlocked and go for a virtual carrier with super low fees and no restrictions when travelling abroad.

d3vi1

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
There is, unfortunately, no such law in the United States.

Yes, thanks to that wonderful general deregulation (of telecom, banking&finance, energy, etc.) that you guys vote for whenever you vote for the GOP.

It really seems unfair. In exchange for subsidies a carrier should either lock the phone to their network (for a disclosed period of time), or require a contract with early termination fee. To charge $200 for an iPhone indefinitely locked to AT&T with 2-year contract seems indisputably unethical (not to mention redundant).

This was never AT&T's policy with any other phone (I don't believe). I wonder what was different about the iPhone in this respect. I presume it originated with an agreement between AT&T and Apple in the beginning, but I doubt this remains the case.

And here's the difference, in most European countries, the heavy regulation either imposes no carrier lock, or voluntary unlocking at the end of the contract term, or with a small pay (EUR 50) anytime during the contract.

In Romania, ANCOM (the regulatory authority), only had to ask for the carriers to voluntarily come up with a decent policy, and they did. The alternative was for ANCOM to come up with a mandatory regulation for carrier-lock free phones. The carriers instantly came up with a more than fair policy and no regulation was required.

And if you don't get a subsidized phone, you get much better contracts. 1000 outgoing minutes (incoming are never charged) per month, insane amounts of text messages and 1.5GBytes of traffic (to use as you see fit including tethering) for EUR15+VAT, with options for a lot more for little money. I think that an American would have to pay more than USD100/month to get as much usage. Let's do the math now:

1) Phone - EUR 830
2) 24 months contract - EUR 446
--
European total: EUR 1276 ~= USD 1850 (EUR15+VAT/month) and you can use your phone however you see fit.

1) US Phone - USD 200
2) 24 months ATT contract - 2880 (USD120/month with all taxes)
--
US total: USD 3080 and if you don't renew you're paying for a new phone.

Last edited:

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Is there a reason they are not selling the 3GS unlocked? It would alleviate the microSIM issue, and would be the first choice for people who want an iPhone that is the most compatible abroad.

I suspect they do not want to confuse the market by adding the option here in the US where the 3GS is $49. Likewise, I doubt they wish to confuse people for three months of benefit IF they retire the 3GS when the iPhone 5 is out which might be only 3 months.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Actually in America (and Canada), the cost of the subsidy of the phone is recouped over the length of the contract (and actually built into the pricing model). The interesting part is that whether you sign a contact or not, you still pay the same price for your package, so in fact, the user who buy's their own phone unsubsidized is getting ripped off because the carrier actually makes more money off them over the same 2 year period. Carriers would love to get rid of subsidies, but the high cost of the phones is a barrier for most. Those laws are changing in Canada to force the carrier to only charge the penalty for the real remaining cost of the subsidy.

This! All you people saying it's cheaper to just buy the phone straight out don't understand that the carriers in USA don't provide a lower price for non-subsidized phones. Therefore, it's in consumer interest to at least get the cash from the carrier, and also keeps consumers buying a new phone every 2yrs since you might as well get the kickback since they aren't giving you a lower monthly rate anyway

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

iOS 5, unlocked iPhones (officially in the US).

Anyone seeing a pattern here?

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Nope. It'll be GSM or CDMA, not both I'm afraid. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't release an unlocked CDMA one either. People want it for travelling abroad and GSM is much more popular around the world than CDMA.

That has not been announced. There are a number of dual GSM/CDMA phones out there.

In fact the Verizon iPhone 4 already has a Qualcomm dual-mode GSM/CDMA chip in it (MDM6600). It is just not active (yet?) and may never be, but in my opinion the iPhone 5 will have a dual mode chip in it. I think it is a foregone conclusion that the iPhone 5 will be a unified hardware platform.

Whether Apple will activate it so that you can use both without some type of firmware switch is unknown*, but it is extremely important for Apple to have a single model of hardware for a large number of reasons which should be obvious.

* e.g. the GSM mode may be active with one slightly different firmware version and the CDMA another version. The question is whether if you buy a GSM iPhone 5 you can switch it to CDMA in the software or not - and visa versa.

Last edited:

xodiak

Jun 14, 2011
Quick Question

So with the iPhone unlocked does that mean you would still have to get a plan with a data package? I know someone is going to respond why have a iPhone without a data package, because work has wi-fi and I use it for personal email alerts at work, and as an iPod, not to mention texting and of all things talking on it because its a phone.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
1) Phone - EUR 830
--
European total: EUR 1276 ~= USD 1850 (EUR15+VAT/month) and you can use your phone however you see fit.

1) US Phone - USD 200
--

This is all true. However one of the problems people have with this is the fact that they would have to spend 830 euros out of the blue on the phone to begin with, no option for several payments. You are right though. And it is AT&T's problem as well, charging such incredibly high fees for their service.. and to add icing on top, they wouldn't even unlock the phone after the 2 year contract is over.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I have been using a factory unlocked iPhone 4 on AT&T for a while now, that I purchased outside the US and the person you spoke with did not know what they are talking about. It works perfectly fine. Did you dispute it with your credit card company?

For me, one advantage of providing your own iPhone 4 (or 3GS) that is factory unlocked is no contract with AT&T. And if needed and you don't mind running Edge, you can stick a T-Mobile SIM in there (it is easy to trim with an x-acto knife).

I was trying to use my unlocked iPhone with AT&T while in the states.
It ended up they charged me on the data plan without providing data.

The guy in the shop AT&T installed the card and said it's fine.
When calling hotline because it was not, AT&T rep said it's impossible to use data from unlocked iPhone with their network.
No refund either. Bummer.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
So with the iPhone unlocked does that mean you would still have to get a plan with a data package? I know someone is going to respond why have a iPhone without a data package, because work has wi-fi and I use it for personal email alerts at work, and as an iPod, not to mention texting and of all things talking on it because its a phone.

The advantage of having an unlocked phone is that you can do whatever you want with it, with whatever carrier. So you could choose what is right for you, without having X, Y or Z imposed on you from, say, AT&T. For all you care, you could just use a prepaid system from a low cost carrier. You get the freedom to choose.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Yes, thanks to that wonderful general deregulation (of telecom, banking&finance, energy, etc.) that you guys vote for whenever you vote for the GOP.

And here's the difference, in most European countries, the heavy regulation either imposes no carrier lock, or voluntary unlocking at the end of the contract term, or with a small pay (EUR 50) anytime during the contract.

In Romania, ANCOM (the regulatory authority), only had to ask for the carriers to voluntarily come up with a decent policy, and they did. The alternative was for ANCOM to come up with a mandatory regulation for carrier-lock free phones. The carriers instantly came up with a more than fair policy and no regulation was required.

And if you don't get a subsidized phone, you get much better contracts. 1000 outgoing minutes (incoming are never charged) per month, insane amounts of text messages and 1.5GBytes of traffic (to use as you see fit including tethering) for EUR15+VAT, with options for a lot more for little money. I think that an American would have to pay more than USD100/month to get as much usage. Let's do the math now:

1) Phone - EUR 830
--

1) US Phone - USD 200
--

Yes, provided the plans you're comparing all have the same features (minutes, amount of data, speed, etc)? My AT&T is about $90/month with 450 minutes, unlimited nights weekends, 1500 texts, unlimited data, unlimited minutes to other AT&T cell phones, and it roams no charge across the entire USA. Your plan is 1000 minutes total, no free nights and weekends nor roll over minutes on a monthly basis, expensive roaming once you cross the border of your "country" (which we would call a single state in the USA) where you get to buy a sim card (at least 20E) which only works in that country for ~90 days thereafter you get to buy another one if you forget to buy more time on the SIM. What a joke.

Oh, and Europeans always harp on the stupid incoming minutes are free thing! What a JOKE! The person calling you spends ~$2/minute, but hooray it's cheap for the receiver. Cell phones in europe cost more overall for what you get than in the USA.

The advantage of having an unlocked phone is that you can do whatever you want with it, with whatever carrier. So you could choose what is right for you, without having X, Y or Z imposed on you from, say, AT&T. For all you care, you could just use a prepaid system from a low cost carrier. You get the freedom to choose.

Yes, choose from the single carrier in the USA which the iphone will work at 3G speeds. Ooooh, hooray for freedom!

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Adidas Addict said:
£395 + Sales tax in case any of you brits going to Florida/Vegas/NY/LA etc were wondering what it works out at.

What's that work out for a Florida trip Inc tax etc in GBP?

I have an iP4 currently but like the White. Take it you can buy in US and it will work on all UK mobile networks?

Cheers

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Yes. I am on AT&T with a non-US factory unlocked iPhone 4 with no contract. That should be the same thing you will get if you buy it from Apple.

We can hope the iPhone 5 follows.

I assume this means the iPhone 5 will also be available unlocked.

I am moving to the US in 2 weeks.

Can I currently buy an iPhone 4 and get a pay as you go or rolling month contract with AT&T or another carrier in the US using a micro-SIM? I don't want to be locked in for 24 months (or even 12 months for that matter) as will likely be coming back to the UK in June 2012.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Yes, provided the plans you're comparing all have the same features (minutes, amount of data, speed, etc)?

And you Europeans always harp on the stupid incoming minutes are free thing! What a JOKE! The person calling you spends ~$2/minute, but hooray it's cheap for the receiver. Cell phones in europe cost more overall for what you get than in the USA.

Yes, choose from the single carrier in the USA which the iphone will work at 3G speeds. Ooooh, hooray for freedom!

The fact that incoming calls are free doesn't mean that the caller pays double, read up before you criticize (I'm from Spain, also lived in UK and the system doesn't work like that). Cell phones cost the same with their relative currency exchanges. If you see someone pay more for a subsidized phone it's because in many European countries carriers are only allowed to contract for up to one year, and thus ask you to pay more for the hardware at the beginning of the contract.

He didn't really specify whether he was using his iPhone in USA or not, and the point of his post was to actually ask if he could skip on the data plan.. so I doubt not getting 3G speeds is an issue for him.

I have an iP4 currently but like the White. Take it you can buy in US and it will work on all UK mobile networks?

Most of them anyway, check what frequencies the iPhone supports and compare it to your UK carrier frequencies (all of them are pretty much 'standarized')

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
What's that work out for a Florida trip Inc tax etc in GBP?

Cheers

It would work on all networks, yes. To buy an iPhone 4 16GB in the UK is £499. I'd imagine plus taxes you'd get to a similar figure in the US. Just check the frequency bands match.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Oh, and Europeans always harp on the stupid incoming minutes are free thing! What a JOKE! The person calling you spends ~$2/minute, but hooray it's cheap for the receiver.

what the heck r u talking about, i pay 6 cent for outgoing calls (and nothing to t-mobile and home lines) and of course nothing for incoming calls as it should be unlike the us

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
The fact that incoming calls are free doesn't mean that the caller pays double, read up before you criticize (I'm from Spain, also lived in UK and the system doesn't work like that). Cell phones cost the same with their relative currency exchanges. If you see someone pay more for a subsidized phone it's because in many European countries carriers are only allowed to contract for up to one year, and thus ask you to pay more for the hardware at the beginning of the contract.

Not saying they pay double saying that you pay a LOT to call a cell phone in Europe -- specific costs may be off. When I am in Europe, calling from a land line to a cell phone costs a LOT more than calling land line to land line. Friends I stayed with have left me notes saying PLEASE do not call cell phones using their land line since it costs so much money.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England

Not saying they pay double saying that you pay a LOT to call a cell phone in Europe -- specific costs may be off. When I am in Europe, calling from a land line to a cell phone costs a LOT more than calling land line to land line. Friends I stayed with have left me notes saying PLEASE do not call cell phones using their land line since it costs so much money.

Who cares? We all get screwed out of our money at some point, wherever we live in the world.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Yes, provided the plans you're comparing all have the same features (minutes, amount of data, speed, etc)? My AT&T is about $90/month with 450 minutes, unlimited nights weekends, 1500 texts, unlimited data. Your plan is 1000 minutes total and no free nights and weekends nor roll over minutes on a monthly basis.

iPhone 4 16GB - 2,000 minutes, 5,000 texts, unlimited data. £69 ($113) for the handset then £35 ($57) per month. I think that compares well with AT&T's best offers and those prices include VAT.

And you Europeans always harp on the stupid incoming minutes are free thing! What a JOKE! The person calling you spends ~$2/minute, but hooray it's cheap for the receiver.

What are you talking about? Out of plan calls to mobiles are rarely more than £0.35 per minute.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Who cares? We all get screwed out of our money at some point, wherever we live in the world.

Actually, I don't think it's screwed. It's called an economy. People/Companies need to make profit in order to afford to have us all working etc.

Of course, the alternative is communism, which we all know how well that worked out...

What are you talking about? Out of plan calls to mobiles are rarely more than £0.35 per minute.

Not saying they pay double saying that you pay a LOT to call a cell phone in Europe -- specific costs may be off. My number was just a guesstimate based upon what we pay calling European cell phones from the USA and what have experienced using calling cards from european land lines to european cell phones. $0.50/min is not exactly cheap, thats a phone chatline in the usa lol :)

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Apple is the epitomy of corporate greed. You can buy unsibsidized iPhone for 599/699 but it'll still be locked despite the carrier not incurring any expenses. You're not giving them $50 to unlock the phone, instead you're paying $50 not to lock the phone. Talk about greed.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Apple is the epitomy of corporate greed. You can buy unsibsidized iPhone for 599/699 but it'll still be locked despite the carrier not incurring any expenses. You're not giving them $50 to unlock the phone, instead you're paying $50 not to lock the phone. Talk about greed.

Do you work for free? People are nuts, don't like the price go get a cheap android phone. Companies are free to charge whatever they want, just like you're free not to buy the iphone. Really don't get the whining here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.