Apple NZ (Renaissance) Raising Prices?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by .:*Robot Boy*:., Mar 18, 2006.

1. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

So, I was talking to a friend on Thursday (16th) who told me that Renaissance were going to be raising their prices for Apple products on Friday (17th) due to the weakening NZ dollar. I checked out the Apple.co.nz store and it seems that the price of the MacBook Pro has gone up to almost $5000 including GST :eek:. From what I remember (and, from what I gather from the yet to be updated MagnumMac.co.nz), the 2.0GHz MacBook Pro used to be about $4600 including GST.

Am I getting worked up over nothing, or is this price hike for real?

2. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

They better not be hiking the prices, they are already bloody ridiculous.

3. ArchiMac macrumors newbie

4. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

You know, I had that idea the other day. Pay $400 to fly over for the day, go spend $6500 on my Mac, fly back and save the GST taxes...

5. ArchiMac macrumors newbie

Buy one over here

Surely,
    it would be cheaper to fly to Sydney or Brisbane and just buy one. By a fair margin.
    ***view not endorsed by any Sydney or Brisbane merchant***
    ******though not above a little cut of commission******
    **please?**

(BTW: $6500, this is, assumably, for the most amazingly, terrifically, Charlie-and-the-Chocolate-Factory-ific Mac-portable available. Aside from software costs, this could amount to the biggest shafting since Styvesent bought Manhatten) (my spelling is atrocious just between us).

6. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Looks like I bought my intel core duo just in time.

Brand new it cost me about $3095 plus another $100 for 512MB RAM.

Considering that in 2000, an iBook 366mhz was at $4700, I felt that I paid a reasonable amount.

7. .:*Robot Boy*:. thread starter macrumors 6502

So, the 17" MacBook Pro retails in New Zealand for NZ$5899, which equates to about US$3765. The US retail price of the 17" is US$2799. Does anyone else think that this is absolutely insane?

Might be time to buy some Renaissance shares - methinks they may be posting suspiciously high profits this year :rolleyes:.

8. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Don't forget that there is another 12.5% GST on top of that.

However yes, it seems that businesses in NZ generally get away with charging way to much, and/or not offering a good service... Telecom comes to mind. My broadband connection is $60 per month, for that I get 3.5Mbit/sec download (fastest in NZ) and 128Kbit Upload. I only get 10GB per month also. Absolutely appalling.

9. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

common sense would say its insane yes, but there are so many economic factors that aren't being measured here that equate the higher costs.

I mean, shipping them to NZ and where ever has to cost somethin :eek:

but seriously, I think if they could charge that in the USA they would, capitalism has a firm hold on us, not that that is the only reason, but... sorry you all.

10. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

It's not that.

Apple products are shipped from Asia to the US and Europe. What's the difference?

I'm guessing the difference is that Apple does not sell well in NZ, where computers tend to cost a lot and Apple's premium price is much more of a hurdle. You have to pay the overheads for stocking and retail in such a small community.

Plus New Zealand is generally a ripoff for most foreign goods. It's about the only reason I'm glad I left.

11. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

That's criminal. Really it is.