Apple OEM parts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matticus008, Aug 2, 2006.

1. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Does anyone know of a good source for Apple replacement parts? I figure the answers here might be useful for everyone, so I'm asking generally.

However, in my specific situation, I need a new topcase for a 15" G4 PowerBook (with or without the keyboard--mine's in perfect shape). I have the dreaded malfunctioning trackpad temperature sensor problem and just want to replace the part myself. I don't want to be without my computer for days or weeks while they repeat my entire troubleshooting process, wipe my not-recently-backed-up hard drive, and return a still-broken computer.

(In the mean time, if anyone stumbles across this thread with the same problem, I've temporarily sidestepped the issue by removing the ApplePMU.kext extension--this will lose all battery charge information and disable sleep and reboot functions, and it'll make the PowerBook run warmer than normal, but at least it won't go to sleep every 10 seconds.)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. nateharr macrumors 6502

Thanks. I tried searching, but I guess I wasn't using the right keywords.

4. RayK macrumors 6502

I've had good luck with PBParts.com. Good luck getting it repaired.

5. tancg17 macrumors newbie

misuse the word OEM

hope i'm not too late to help,

if the screen sensor area is purple colour its most probably fake.

China traders in ebay and others have misused the word OEM.

They mean high copy. so don't expect proper fit, u might need to jiggle quite a bit.

Originals are available but yes they are a lot more times expensive than what you get on ebay.