Apple Offering 150 Free WWDC Tickets to Student Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 24, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple announced its 2013 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) this morning, with plans to put tickets up for sale tomorrow at 10am.

Tickets for WWDC can be hard to come by and sold out within two hours last year, but current students might be able to attend the conference through a WWDC 2013 Student Scholarship.

Apple has set aside 150 scholarships for full or part-time students aged 13 years or older. Students must be current members of the iOS Developer Program, iOS Developer University Program, iOS Developer Enterprise Program, or Mac Developer Program.

[​IMG]
    To win a scholarship, students must submit an application and create an app that demonstrates both creativity and strong coding abilities.
    Scholarship applications must be submitted by Thursday, May 2, 2013 and will be judged on technical accomplishment, creativity, essay questions, and technical/work experience.

WWDC 2013 is set to take place from June 10-14 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. Tickets will go on sale tomorrow, April 25 at 10 a.m. PDT for $1599 each.

Article Link: Apple Offering 150 Free WWDC Tickets to Student Developers

2. macrumors 603

apple should do something like Google's Summer of Code

3. macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Seems like a good event to experience for young developers. Who knows what kind of innovation will come from one of those youngsters...

4. macrumors 68020

5. macrumors 6502a

I think this is a great idea. Would be fun to be 13 again :D

6. macrumors member

Good

twenty-something & younger guys are imaginative, Apple knows that I'm guessing.

7. macrumors P6

Peace

Great way to get some young thinkers into the dev community.

8. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

May 2nd!

Nuts I gotta work on something fast! (Undergraduate counts, right?)

9. CodeJingle, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

macrumors regular

This is so awesome. Brilliant teens need their shot at glory even with broke parents. Broke college students too. I'm looking forward to their feedback after attending WWDC.

10. macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Free product placement for TweetBot. Although I guess you wouldn't recognize it unless you already knew what it was.

11. macrumors regular

There is no age requirement. You qualify to apply even if you are post-grad going for your Masters or Doctorate.

12. macrumors 603

bedifferent

Me want. I didn't read the comments, just jumped immediately. What are the qualifications?

NM, read it. Hmmm, tempting. :)

13. macrumors member

I can't for the life of me understand why the money grabbing b@@@@@@s charge an extortionate entry fee to start with

14. macrumors 6502

Because its a conference mainly for developers and tech analysts. Its not open to the public and isn't intended to be publicly available. Apple set up tons of booths for developers to get help and tips with their coding and apps.

15. macrumors G4

Small White Car

It sold out in 2 hours last year which means they don't have enough space for all the developers who want to come.

And if it were free there would be a ton of Yahoos like you and me wandering in from off the street which would keep even MORE developers out. It's clearly a smart idea to prevent that.

16. macrumors 68000

The price is pretty low for a professional conference. Maybe you were thinking this was some sort of fan festival.

17. macrumors 65816

parish

Maybe one of these 13-year-olds can fix the missing album artwork on iDevices bug since Apple's paid staff devs obviously can't :mad:

18. macrumors G5

Rogifan

I attended the Tableau customer conference last year in San Diego and I believe it was around $2500.

19. macrumors regular

alfistas

20. macrumors member

I fully understand its intended for devs and journalists, that doesn't mean they have to charge that much, by all means only allocate tickets to devs, just on a first come first served, pretty much as it is now without the extortionate charge

21. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

(Shrugs shoulders.)

It really isn't that pricey all things considered.

Getting there and back (plus food and hotel) will be nearly as much for some.

I had a small two day trip to a veterinary conference for a photoshoot just the other day and it was 2k without even trying. (Hell, I used a coupon for the buffet! LOL)

22. macrumors 68040

Where? All I see is an iPod Touch with people sitting at a computer :confused:

23. macrumors regular

xionxiox

It's distorted behind the iPod Touch.

----------

This is for serious developers and there is only so much space (sold out in 2 hours last year). Can you imagine how fast it would fill up if it was cheap??

24. macrumors 68040

Ahh I see it now, well spotted!

25. macrumors 6502a

Have you ever been or planned a large conference before? For a well run one of this size, the costs are enormous, from cost of facilities, training, documentation, logistics, planning to name a few--all that costs money.