Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm very surprised by the lack of updates to the Mac Pro. Nobody should really consider buying one of these machines today, they are clearly outdated in every way. I still love mine though! My next one will be a hackintosh unless they add in current tech.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
The Apple people who decided on this deserve to be punched in the face really badly.
This was just to be able to say we updated it. And so that they can sell of old stock. Smart. But ********** ridiculous.

Liquidstate

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Waiting here in Limbo...

I've lurked Mac Rumors for a long time, but the MP "upgrade" has motivated me to join and post.

All I can think of is, something is still weird about the MP situation. If Apple wanted to discontinue it, they would have done so, like they did today with the MBP 17" (which is what I am typing on right now).

But, they didn't. They made a half-hearted effort to slap some newer processors in it and announced an upgrade. So that means it's not discontinued. It feels like Apple's indirect convoluted way of communicating to the pro users (throwing them a bone) that we're not discontinuing it, but we're not ready to announce what we're up to either. In other words, trying to calm down Forums like this one. Plus the silence on iMacs.

Since there's really no other sensible option, the iMac and MP updates have to be coming. But I agree that Apple should adopt a difference policy for pro users who must plan for upgrade paths.

I've been frustrated with Apple before, but this is reaching new heights.

davezak

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Toronto ON
anyone else?

how come i still feel like a new mac pro will come out one day?

am i brainwashed?

does anyone else feel like we just have to wait longer and apple will save us with the new mac pro solution?

wbsimey

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Apple abandons academia

wow, I cannot believe Apple has abandoned the power users. My students and their students and so on will now be trained on Dell computers. Sell your Apple stock, Cook has abandoned Jobs' vision of users first.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Maybe Apple is trying to make it's final push into the Post-PC era. No new desktops this WWDC. A brand new MacBook Pro that is beautiful. Maybe this is the decline into pure Post-PC.

Now I doubt this could realistically happen for another 10-20 years, because we need real computers for professional jobs and companies. But maybe this is just the beginning of the push into that Post-PC era with slower desktop and Mac updates.

gimme a gun !

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Firstly, sorry for my poor english, but I think anger has no frontiers !!

For me, the worst in all this mess is not the dead of the Mac pro….
ok, this is business thing….. I don't accept it, but I can understand this kind of thing….
but, as an adult, and a professional, I can't accept at all that someone, a professional supplier,
tell me "yeah man, I have a new item…. in fact a new item with a down-grade to a less chip… a f```king 2,4ghz !!! And you will pay it 200$ more !!!!"

Yes…. 200$ for 6 more gigas of RAM !!
This kind of speech is good for a young consumer of mobile device…. not a pro !!!
Who are we for you Apple ??!
Peanuts ??! Just.... wind ???!

Say to us, "it's over"…. and break with us…..
but don't take us for stupid fool !!!!

So… now….. once again, I'm a pro….
I have to go on the road again, and I have to finally use my loan
and buy the computer I have been wainting for nothing, since 3 years !!!
Now, what can I do ??

Where can I install my Smoke 2013 ??
Where can I use my Resolve ???!
All my Adobe stuff ???!

On a Windows PC ??
I was PC before, for decade…. and I don't want to come back….
don't fell comfortable on that….. waste more time trying to make it working, than working on my real work !!

On Linux ?
With pleasure !!!
But….. oh, ****….. where's photoshop ??!

And…. I don't want to lose all my professionnal apps….
I wait years for a "perfect" Autodesk Smoke…. a good grading apps….
and now that the best is here, there's no computer to handle it ??!!!

Wait few month for an new iMac ?
Yes….. a mac mini, with a big screen…… come on !!!
Read and compress 5K RED footage on real time ?
And without burn the computer in one night of render ??
And..... glossy screen ???????!!!!!!!!!!!

Or the Hackintosh ?
Can someone confirm that there is no more bug in an hack than in a real mac and I sign now !!

Well……… I'm lost….. and angry….. and sorry for all the exclamation mark !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
They made a half-hearted effort to slap some newer processors in it and announced an upgrade. So that means it's not discontinued. It feels like Apple's indirect convoluted way of communicating to the pro users (throwing them a bone) that we're not discontinuing it, but we're not ready to announce what we're up to either. In other words, trying to calm down Forums like this one. Plus the silence on iMacs.

Since there's really no other sensible option, the iMac and MP updates have to be coming. But I agree that Apple should adopt a difference policy for pro users who must plan for upgrade paths.

I've been frustrated with Apple before, but this is reaching new heights.

They last time they did this kind of update, it was to the plastic-shell MacBook, which they quietly discontinued a few months later.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Well, what are professional users going to do now?

It would be a poor investments to buy one of those Mac Pros.

It may be better to buy a used/refurb 2010 model, as the difference in speed may only be slight.

Or did Apple improve on the general architecture on this model apart from the processor switch?

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
No Thunderbolt and no GPU upgrade...

Then again AMD sites only indicates the radeon 5770 as available for Mac.
As for Nvidia they only list the Quadro 4000 & FX4000...

So for Apple to offer a new Workstation with upgraded GPU they would either have to design a GPU themselves or commandeer a GPU design from Nvidia (direct concurrent on the mobile device front) or AMD (Intel direct concurrent, that they just shun out of mac laptops, Apple's most sold computers).

Still it doesn't bode well for the Pro line :(

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
I'm lost for words. Saw it coming though once 9to5 confirmed the spec, I instantly realized we were in for a bad surprise.

The worst is it's actually €150 more expensive now for the same old tech.

Really really lost for words right now. And really don't know what to do next, we've had €40.000 ready for 8 new MP's, no way I can go through with that.

Such a shame...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Barely an update at all. What a joke. They didn't even bother with Thunderbolt or USB3.0.

Its like they wanted to kill it, but couldn't pull the trigger, so they just added what they could without having to do any work.

Agreed. This is... Stunning. The one thing I would have bet anything wouldn't happen. If they killed it, it would be sad but understandable. Or giving it even a modest update would work too - these processors, USB 3, TB, new graphics. But this... Why bother? It's a total joke. They're not just going to run out the stock, but they're also not going to offer anything close to a competitive value? What's the point??

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Its possible to get a better upgrade at OWC than the updated Apple Mac Pro in that they can supply and fit a 3.46GHz Xeon for the six core or if you are a rich person you can make that 2X6core @ 3.46GHz why Apple do not provide this option i don't know.

ogh

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
They last time they did this kind of update, it was to the plastic-shell MacBook, which they quietly discontinued a few months later.

I fear you are right. But as this lack of an upgrade did not go silently in this forum, it will indeed be noisy when they discontinue it. Unless all the Pro users have left Mac by then.

Mr Hackintosh

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
I have an Asus x79 pro running 6 core I7 3930K running at 4.6Gig with 32 gigs of memory, Kingston hyper x 120gig ssd boot drive for OSX ,another ssd for windows 7 and 2 TB hardrives running in raid for storage will eventually be 8 drives ....32 gigs of memory was $214 64 gigs is $428...I have 2 vid cards latest is gtx 670 2 Gig ...
With mac now supporting keplar cards the 6 series cards will soon have drivers
Guys this set up cost $2100 runs mac Os faster than any mac at its price or 2X check it out ..

however if hope springs eternall.... you can look at the Nvidia site and you can speculate which cards mac is going to use buy the resolution only a few support the retina display...check it out ....A new IMAC 27" would use the GT 660m and be max res (ie) 3840 X 2160 right!

They will also make a stand alone mac 27" display at same res.

If there were new mac pros which I believe is still possible they would use sandy bridge -I like mine which is why my x79 already works..and they would use the GT 640 as it is the only desktop card that supports the 3840x2160 spec. right now .however I am sure the 670 or other higher end kepler cards could be easily flashed in firmware for the higher res and an EFI bios created to support full buss speed instead of 1/2 which all stock 5 series run at present in hackintoshes..

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Intel showed Thunderbolt/Lightpeak on a MacPro September 2009.

This is the laziest bump of Apples history. Motherboard designed by Intel. No thunderbolt. No USB3. No effort. 3 year old graphic card.

Apple didn't even have to write new drivers for this revision. So what took 2 years?

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
It feel like Apple is just tossing a bone to the Mac Pro market to appease them.

This "quiet" update should have been released at least a week or more before the WWDC. Then it would have been less of a shock and not as big a disappointment with the build up of WWDC.

This is not a WWDC-worthy update, and APPLE knows it and from what I gather Apple didn't mention the Mac Pro roadmap at all during the keynote.

The Macintosh is dead. It may be on a respirator after having received an emergency CPU transplant, but it's in a coma waiting for the plug to be pulled.

charleswhalley

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
Peterborough, England
The return of the Jedi

Maybe just maybe we should all order a 'new' mac pro. And then refuse delivery. Because one bad joke deserves another.

Come on Apple do not treat those that helped get you through the tough times like this - we deserve better.

Bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

jashan

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Now it feels really painful to be "vendor locked-in". But when Apple is abandoning their Pro users - Pro users will simply have to abandon Apple. I don't really like Metro that much - but Windows has come a long ways since Windows 95 and hopefully will not repeat the disaster that Windows Vista was.

And unlike Mac OS X, Windows doesn't lock you into a specific hardware.

Tim Cook, you are up for a surprise: Apple customers were loyal as long as Apple appeared to be loyal to its customers. This works both ways. If Apple ignores a significant part of the customers (not in numbers - but in multiplication effects), there's really no reason we should not start ignoring Apple.

Has anyone tried running Lion on VMWare on Windows? Seems it should be working in VMWare Fusion on a Mac (see here), so that might make the transition a little more convenient.

Shame on Apple. Seriously. This is a very sad day.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Still the idiotic "Apple not caring about pro users" arguments. You'd think people would be actually less ignorant by now.

Not all pro users use Mac Pro. That's how Apple can dump this line.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Still the idiotic "Apple not caring about pro users" arguments. You'd think people would be actually less ignorant by now.

Not all pro users use Mac Pro. That's how Apple can dump this line.

Following your logic we can just go ahead and say that Apple should be shut down as not everyone uses an iPod, an iPad, an iPhone and a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.