Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wow, the 24" ACD must have the shortest life span of any Apple product ever.

Speaking of which, I just returned my 24" ACD refurb today, so those who want to find a steal for the cheapest priced display Apple has to offer, keep an eye out on that refurb page ;)

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
No, consumers love glossy displays. That's all that counts.

Except we're finally not talking about the damn Apple consumer market for a change. These are products for the professionals. As such, the products should be tailored to them, not simply creating the iPhone template and scaling it up and down.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I just bought a brand new 30" display from Apple Store online. It arrived clearly used and dirty. I looked up the serial number and it was manufactured in March 2007. I kid you not. I called Apple and they said it had just been sitting on the shelf all that time.

Bonch, that was an awesome post. I am glad that you shared it with us. Very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

I bought my 3 monitors (each 30 inch) back in summer of 2007, and they are all still working great for me, except for one of the power blocks, which died within a few weeks, and Apple replaced it for free (I bought the AppleCare, by the way).

I hope that your dusty monitor serves you well. I like those monitors, although they do stay very hot. I could fry an egg on one of my monitors, especially at the very top edge, whew, very hot indeed!

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
does apple even sell many of these? Who in their right mind would pay $749 for a 24inch computer screen. I might as well by a flat planel tv and use it as a monitor.
They probably don't sell millions, but likely thousands.

Remember that Apple customers are some of the most affluent retail customers on the planet and many of them wouldn't bat an eyelash in paying $750 for a 24-inch monitor.

After all these are people shoveling out $300 for a smartphone, $2400+ for a two-year cellular contract, $700 for an iPad, plus something like >85% of Mac households also have a Windows PC. These are people with lots of disposable cash.

Some of them might be so lavish as to buy bottled water. (gasp)

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
Apple's computer line has always been a failure one way or another. Their iOS devices & iPods are HUGE success, market leading products. No surprise that you'll see a corporation moving out of a troubled market into a booming one.

On another note, as a video editor, it pains me to have lived the emergence of Final Cut Pro to now live Apple's move out of the professional video market. The disappearance of Shake, the abandoning of matte pro displays (the 23"ACD was the only display to offer correct 59.97 TBC), Apple literally IMPOSING the DVD-R standard to now completely drop the ball on Blu Ray and DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut Pro terrible lagging behind AVID Media Composer etc etc etc.

I hate learning a new software but we won't have a choice to move back to AVID...

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
This is Apple reducing options to its personal computer lines, now that they are becoming more of a mobile company. A new age is dawning at Apple, first the WWDC with zero Mac OS X anything, and everything focused on iOS. Who knows what this will mean in the future, only they know what their focus is. Remember those good'ol days when we would thrill at the excitement of new Mac presentations/keynotes. Now, the Mac only gets silent updates, treated like old toys.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Apple's computer line has always been a failure one way or another. Their iOS devices & iPods are HUGE success, market leading products. No surprise that you'll see a corporation moving out of a troubled market into a booming one.

On another note, as a video editor, it pains me to have lived the emergence of Final Cut Pro to now live Apple's move out of the professional video market. The disappearance of Shake, the abandoning of matte pro displays (the 23"ACD was the only display to offer correct 59.97 TBC), Apple literally IMPOSING the DVD-R standard to now completely drop the ball on Blu Ray and DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut Pro terrible lagging behind AVID Media Composer etc etc etc.

I hate learning a new software but we won't have a choice to move back to AVID...

Truer words have never been written on this issue. With the discontinuation of Shake and the lack of hardware to support Final Cut Pro (which seems to be getting less and less support as well), a company that once lead the industry standard in film editing and photography is giving up on the professionals that once held Apple displays and PowerMac's as top notch. So many in the film industry utilize Final Cut Pro, it'd be a shame to see that market switch to Avid.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
used to care about this monitor until i saw the LG 30 inch S-IPS monitor at a job - they run about 1,200US and no reflection. A joy to work on.

ronparr

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
targeted at laptop users???

`the 27" LED Display appears to be primarily targeted at laptop owners.'

There's nothing to suggest that it's targeted primarily at laptop users - beyond the vacuous sense in which every Mac accessory is targeted primarily at laptop users due to the fact that 71% of all Macs sold are laptops.

Every desktop Mac you can buy has at least one displayport output and the new Mac pros have 2. The magsafe power adapter doesn't make it any less suitable for desktop use.

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
I had both the 24 and 30. I had to get rid of one of them, as I didn't use both as I once did (working at 2 locations).

The 24-inch was nice, bright, built-in camera and speakers were convenient....

.... but which one did I sell on craigslist. The 24-inch. I was sick of seeing my ugly self all day long in the reflection. Also the extra screen space was just too much to give up.

I hope my 30-inch lasts 10 more years.

There are plenty of other better monitors nowadays anyway, if I was buying new today. I think it is just hard for Mac people because they're not brushed aluminum and don't match their Macbook[Pro]/MacPro ;)

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
Apple probably realizes that they're not dealing with a crappy Vista anymore and that Windows 7 consistently scores around par with OS X. They probably also realize that even regular consumers/governments/colleges are switching to various Linux builds. Its probably smarter for them financially to concentrate on iOS devices and milk whatever is left of the Mac community.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Design Flaw

There is a design flaw in the menu bar for large displays. Apple knows it and that's why they cannot go bigger anymore. The menu bar works great for macbooks and displays equal or less than 24 inch. But displays going bigger than that it just makes it hard to navigate to the menu bar when located all the way to the top left corner.

What Apple needs to do is bring back the NextSTEP menu system and give the option to use either configuration. Those that are on a MacBook or with small displays can go with the horizontal menu bar. And for those that are on a bigger display can switch to the verital menu bar (look at attached image).

Apple also needs to separate the menu bar (left to right) with the tool bar (right to left). So, if I change my menu bar to vertical and float it somewhere down the display closer to the bottom the tool bar is unaffected. It remains at the top.

Attachments

• fig2.gif
    fig2.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 532

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
An 27" iMac costs 1700 US
An 27" Display costs 1000 US

If my calculations are correct, the computer components are worth only 700 dollars? Nice move Apple, made us all :confused: for a sec! ;)

ronparr

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
If they're going to discontinue the 24 inch, the least they could do is lower the price on the 27 inch.

They did lower the price on the 27 inch. It went from $1700 (with a free Mac included, in the form of a 27" iMac) to $1000. Up until today, that was your only option for getting a 27" LCD from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.