Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
LoL, i call ********. no matter how tightly i grip my Nokia 5800 XpresMusic. NO bars drop :|

Apple = FAIL

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Wow....its like they have the Obama Press Corp working for Apple.

My phone dropped 27 calls, including THIRTEEN, when I was on the phone with Apple & AT&T.

Those 13 calls I wasn't even holding the phone.

Wife's phone exhibits the same problems, identical. No problems with our 3GS's at all.

As far as signal strength, right after a few of those dropped calls I did a 3G speed test, 3.5mbps down, 1.4mbps up, doesn't seem like a signal problem to me does it?

Apple is making a fool of themselves to anyone with half a brain, unfortunately that leaves legions to support them.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
It's just a PR move. Now the headline that a "fix" is on the way will chase away all the bad signal headlines.

This is no fix for all the dropped calls.

It's also interesting that they're taking weeks to issue it. They're just hoping this story goes away.

corduroy73

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
So why was the apparent signal strength elevated to start with?? To make people think they had a great phone or was it an honest formula mistake!

juan370Z

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
As the press release says, if you don't like it, you can return it.

I bought the iPhone because it was going to re invent everything. I payed cancellation fees with tmobile so i coiled make the switch I did so much stuff to get the iPhone 4 I'm just going to call apple care and get a new iPhone. Or I'm going to post a video on you tube displaying 3 iPhones 4 two with problems and one just finr

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
Well there you have it. Nice find. PR statement pretty much indirectly backs Anandtech's findings on signal strength and bar representation.

I've already learned to hold my phone differantly, so I could care less about the signal drop.

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
All this does is shift the blame from Apple to the Network Providers, which is reasonable if it really is their responsibility.
If however, this solution may help improve some of the customers grievances then I believe Apple should extend the 30-Day return period to allow for the customer to download the software fix, test their signal and still have reasonable time to return the phone if they are still unsatisfied.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
LoL, i call ********. no matter how tightly i grip my Nokia 5800 XpresMusic. NO bars drop :|

they shouldnt talk bout nokia if dey dunno wt they talkin bout....

carrotcloud

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
just dig that hole deeper and deeper apple..
so ip4 just has crappier reception compared to all the other phones.. and somehow the gap on the left side is now irrelevent? apple still refuse to acknowledge that issue which is the main reason this all happend.. FFS

ReflexReact

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
I don't see why people are still complaining about, and to, Apple. At least they're doing something.

HA. Doing something? They're NOT fixing the problem.

Yes, they are doing some. Stupid ******** PR that they believe will con the majority of their sheepish fanboys.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I don't really see how it can just be a misrepresentation of the signal strength if people are reporting dropped calls and data grinding to a halt.

It's obviously because the phone was erroneously indicating that you had more signal that you really had. Then when people held the phone in such a way as to cause the signal to drop a little, they were actually dropping the signal down to where it was almost gone even though the bars were still high. Continuing to hold it that way would cause the bars to drop down to where they actually should have been all along.

It makes perfect sense to me and was along the lines of what I figured the problem was going to turn out to be. Sitting at my desk at home, I always had very marginal signal with my other phones. With the iPhone 4, I would often look down and see 4 or 5 bars and thought "wow, this new phone gets much better reception here". The reality is, it was just as weak as before but was being displayed erroneously. Then when I would hold the phone in the bottom left corner, I would see the bars drop down to show the signal accurately.

It also explains perfectly why when you are in a strong signal area, the bars won't drop at all when held at the left corner.

OlgaJ

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Florida
All this does is shift the blame from Apple to the Network Providers, which is reasonable if it really is their responsibility.
If however, this solution may help improve some of the customers grievances then I believe Apple should extend the 30-Day return period to allow for the customer to download the software fix, test their signal and still have reasonable time to return the phone if they are still unsatisfied.

IMHO folks already know if they have reception problems. That will not change. If they are unhappy with dropped calls now, the issue will not improve. Network performance isn't going to change. It's only a cosmetic change to the number of bars shown on the phone.

joneildu

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
This is the same thing that Anandtech reported with quirky algorithms in the bar display. So it's legit, I don't think it's a PR spin at all.

Eric2

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
London
Interesting that Apple are agreeing to a full refund. After having a dreadful experience with the signal issue on my iPhone 4 I have been trying to return the phone back to Orange. However I was told Apple have asked stores not to accept returns relating to the signal problem and if necessary ask them to purchase a bumper case from Apple. Orange did say they would refund the case if you bring back the receipt.

Thankfully I have been promised a refund on my phone but only because the manager had already agreed a refund prior to the notice from Apple.

I’m sure this is not unique to Orange and another example of Apple trying to cover up this major design flaw.

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
While I'm glad to see apple acknowledging this and producing a fix, I sure hope their calculation doesn't turn my 1 to 2 bars at home into -1 to -3. Good thing I'm getting a microcell next week. At least I'll have service in my house.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No surprise there's no field test mode in OS 4.0....

and it's no accident that they misrepresented signal strength since the inception of the iPhone. It was deliberate (my belief) because why would they want you to have your iPhone next to another phone and have less bars. It would make the iPhone look like it couldn't hold a signal.

This is great marketing and PR spin. I hope people see through the BS that it really is. Not to say that representing the actual signal strength is BS - that part is correct and should have been done all along. But it doesn't FIX anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.