Apple on QVC?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by c2kvette, Jun 4, 2003.

1. c2kvette macrumors member

Why doesn't Apple try to sell their products on cable sales channels like QVC? I think that would be great way to get the Mac out to the public. They could sell hundreds, if not thousands of these things in an hours time. I can see it now, a one-hour special - The Apple Store on QVC!

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Apple on QVC?

Maybe because they sell their own brand of computer, Tiger PCs.

edit: I am not sure but this might be HSN, not QVC that has their own computers.

3. the future macrumors 6502a

As silly as your question may seem at first, I actually think you are absolutely right! It would be a great way to reach ordinary (= not very tech-/computer-savvy) folks who would NEVER walk into an Apple Store (mostly because they don't even know that they exist) + will regularly be persuaded by clueless staff at the big tech retail chains to buy some crappy Wintel machine (because THAT is how they keep their high market share, basically.) But an hour on QVC (or something like QVC), with a great salesperson from Apple showing how EASY it all can be on a Mac, a nice presentation of the awesome product design... it could work like a dream. The only problem is the price, Apple would need a rather cheap product to sell this way, not as cheap as basic PCs, but not too expensive.

4. djtet macrumors regular

Advertising...

I'm not sure this is the way to go. IMO, QVC and similar tv stores, appear cheesy! They seem very overpriced, and offer crappy products. I don't mean to put down all of their products they sell, but I just do not see apple fitting into this category! It would be great for more people to get macs, but I think the best way is by advertising. Look at Dell computers...you can not go into a "store" and buy a Dell. The only way to buy Dell computers is on the internet, or by phone...and meanwhile Dell sells many, many computers. Want to know why they do so well...ADVERTISING! Who has never heard of a Dell? Tons of people know Dell, because they put a huge effort into advertising everywhere. I feel that apple would gain a nice amount of market share if they were to advertise their product more...and I think they're on their way! They're starting to put more commercials on TV, place more ads in magazines and sell at more stores...just keep it coming!

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

HP does a QVC show and pushed a over sized, 1600 dollar laptop with a desktop chip on there as the deal of the day or whatever. Anyways they sold all 7,500 they had in stock!!! I think apple should do this. There products stand on there own quality, and while QVC is very cheesy, it is a great way to expose the masses and push some computers out hte door.

6. pEZ macrumors 6502

Ick. One of the (very isolated) reasons I don't like PC's is their total availability. Apple selling on infomercials just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I can give you one reason. Cost!
    QVC charges a bundle to sell on their show.
    Anything that QVC, HSN (and I expect Pandavision) buy products to sell but they also allow venders to sell through them at an exorbitant cost! The profits for Apple would only be scene if a large volume of computers were sold.

8. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Why sell on QVC tho? If that's the targert audiendce, just stock Apple at the local double wide dealers.

9. the future macrumors 6502a

Because there wouldn't be a brilliant salesperson from Apple at each of those dealers, showing folks what the Mac is in an informed and engaging way. That's why.

10. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Back in the pre-Jobs return era, Apple did in fact have an infomercial for the Performa line. "The Martinetis get a computer" was the name of it. It was primarily that informercial that got me started on Macs.

The commercial was basically a dad who doubted his family would actually use a computer, but agreeing to buy it on the condition that they all had to show him how useful it was over the course of a week or month or something. Even grandpa got involved by e-mailing his new girlfriend, who put in an appearance at the end of the infomercial. So dad was convinced, and they kept the computer.

I still play Power Pete on the 6200 CD once in a while.
    http://applemuseum.bott.org/sections/computers/pf6200.html

11. pEZ macrumors 6502

I like to think that Apple is a higher-class company now. I see them as selling a premium machine, too, because it doesn't have any of the problems that the competition has. It's higher price because it's better. You get what you pay for. You wanna buy a $500 gateway? Go for it.

12. pEZ macrumors 6502

Though that WAS an excellent game. [​IMG]