Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's online storefront has been taken offline this morning, less than six hours prior to the company's upcoming "See You on the 7th" media event at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, where Tim Cook and other senior executives are expected to announce the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, second-generation Apple Watch, new Beats products, and possibly other updates.

apple-store-down-sep-2016.jpg

Apple will provide a live stream (spoiler free) of the keynote on the Apple TV and on iOS and Mac devices through its website, starting at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. MacRumors will also have full coverage of the event, with a live blog on our front page at MacRumors.com and updates in 140 characters or less through our @MacRumorsLive account on Twitter. Last week, we outlined what to expect at the event.

We'll also have specific coverage of today's announcements in separate news stories, and our community forums are a great place for readers to discuss the announcements before, during, and after the event. Be sure to keep tabs on the iPhone and Apple Watch sections in particular for the latest discussions.

Article Link: Apple's Online Store Down Ahead of Today's iPhone 7 Event

Last edited:
Reactions: deany

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
I keep wondering if this is just a marketing trick or is the store technically really that bad that it can't add/update products within seconds? Just imagine Amazon would go down for hours each time they add a new product. Why would they voluntary loose half a day of business?

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Ah great.... I was actually checking out a new power socket for my Macbook when this happened... Am I going to have to wait another 12 hours before finishing?

Reactions: Donald McGuinn

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
I keep wondering if this is just a marketing trick or is the store technically really that bad that it can't add/update products within seconds. Just imagine Amazon would go down for hours each time they add a new product. Why would they voluntary loose half a day of business?

I guess it stops people from ordering an iPhone 6s/plus on the same day and then complaining about it.

Michael Clarke

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Onchan, Isle of Man
I keep wondering if this is just a marketing trick or is the store technically really that bad that it can't add/update products within seconds? Just imagine Amazon would go down for hours each time they add a new product. Why would they voluntary loose half a day of business?

It's a hype thing. "Oooh, Apple have closed down their store, must be a big announcement." I know they do this multiple times a year but it's still enough to get the juices flowing!

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012

Probably marketing trick as it can all be done dynamically - Yes for something like this you might want to take the page down for a few moments to swap everything but it doesn't take hours.

It probably helps stop people also buying something and then within moments asking for a refund

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Before someone says it, they do it for hype, and it works.

Of course they could silently update the store, they could do it within seconds.

And 6 hours of no business is nothing, they'll recuperate it within half amount of time once the store is back up.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I doubt that it is technical. They should already have everything loaded and will simply pull a switch after the announcement. My guess is that they do this for two reasons. One is, as you said, a marketing thing to build excitement. The other, more practical, is to avoid having people purchase the old product at the old price on the same day of the announcement. Again, just my guesses.

Edit: I see everyone responded faster than me. And we all seem to be in sync on one or both of the guesses I proposed. In any case, sorry for the repetition.

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Probably marketing trick as it can all be done dynamically - Yes for something like this you might want to take the page down for a few moments to swap everything but it doesn't take hours.

It probably helps stop people also buying something and then within moments asking for a refund

I think this is a big part of it. Also it gives the fulfillment back channel a chance to slow down on shipping stuff and start getting ready for the storm of shipping the new products.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Im sure it is a marketing ploy. We wouldn't be commenting on this article if it wasn't. Im sure that they have the infrastructure to have an updated site to flip to once they are ready to. Website management for big corps etc do that all the time.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I think this is a big part of it. Also it gives the fulfillment back channel a chance to slow down on shipping stuff and start getting ready for the storm of shipping the new products.
But it does go up pretty quickly. Also Amazon adds lots of products that are going to sell well every day and they have the distrubiton network to do it seamless! Apple only do it a few times a year and the cost for them to get a bigger distribution system would probably cost a heck of a lot more than its worth!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
But it does go up pretty quickly. Also Amazon adds lots of products that are going to sell well every day and they have the distrubiton network to do it seamless! Apple only do it a few times a year and the cost for them to get a bigger distribution system would probably cost a heck of a lot more than its worth!

Yeah the web store goes back up quickly. But the new iPhones don't get shipped right away, so fulfillment gets a breather on the old stuff and gets to probably go full out on the iPhones. Amazon does have a great distribution system, but they don't do anything like ship the iPhone on launch day. No one else has a semi-secret device, that is highly valuable and also needs to ship millions upon millions over a weekend.

Reactions: Sikh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.