Apple opens talks on event venue

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by vniow, Oct 22, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

I'm posting a new thread cuz nobody's really reading that other one anymore.

This is an an article I found in the paper so I'm typing it up word for word.

Apple Computer opened negitiabtions Monday with IDG World Xxpo about how to ensure Apple's participation in the Boston Macworld trade show in 2004.

Citing progress in the talks, Charlie Greco, chief executive of IDG World Expo, said that he had taken off the table a threat he made last week to bar Apple from the IDG-sponsored macworld show in San Francisco if it did not take part in the Boston event. That would have deprived Apple of a major public forum. The annual keynote speech by its cheif executive, Steve Jobs, is one of the biggest media events in the computer industry.

"IDG World Expo and Apple have ........ agreed to hold ongoing discussions about Apple's role in upcoming East Coast Macworld events," said a statement issued by IDG World Expo after a telephone conference with Apple executives.
    IDG World Expo produces the Macworld trade shows held each year in San Francisco and New York.

Last week, IDG announced it had reached an agreement with Boston convention oficials to bring the shows back to Boston where it was last held in 1997. But Apple on Thursday said it would oppose such a move and would not partiipate in the East Coast edition of Macworld if it were moved to Boston.

Apple officials Monday again declined to comment.

Tim Barjarin, an analyst at Creative Strategies in San Jose, said Apple rebuff of IDG World Expo is partly because of the high cost of participatong in two Macworld shows every year; Apple also wants a bigger say in how the shows are managed.

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

lol quite a few typos :p lol
    but pretty good article...

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It still seems like 2 little kids fighting over nothing. Each of them threatening to "take their footballs, and go home". And who gets hurts? We do (especially Bostonians). I'd like to think that there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but I'm sure it has more to do with $$$ and/or power. Gotta love big business.

Oh, wait... no you don't.

PS. edvniow, I tried to PM you something I thought was funny, MacRumors related. Don't know if you got it or not. I don't PM very often.

4. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I got the Homo-phobe banned one. Was that it?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, that was it. No response needed. I just thought it was funny because I noticed you seemed to have had a similar problem with the guy. Alpha would have had a field day. Thank Arn he's gone now. I thought I was supposed to get a read receipt if you got it, but no matter. Like I said, I don't PM much, but it didn't want to muck up a post with the info and we're not really supposed to talk about people who leave.

Uh, I guess kinda like I'm doing now.

:D Sorry.

Uh (*quick, think of something clever*) yeah, uh IDG sux. There, back on topic.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Estimated that it costs Apple $4 - 5m to particpate in a MacWorld. edvniow
    did your article come from the Boston Globe 10/22/02? :)

7. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

No, I got it from the Mercury News. San Jose.