apple optical mouse keeps going to sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mattevil, Jan 15, 2003.

1. mattevil macrumors member

my fairly new mouse (got the computer last august) keeps stopping while im moving the cursor i even booted up once and i waited a minute for it to come back to life.the problem has gotten increasingly worse. it sometimes comes back to life after i unplug and put back in the usb port.it worked for a few months so i doubt its my mousepad. is there any way i can fix this without getting a new mouse? if i do have to buy one are there any you guys suggest (it doesn't have to be optical but i want it to work under osx) im gna have to fix this soon because i have reorts for college to write next week

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

First off try repairing permissions. I have gotten some very weird mouse problems due to fouled up permissions. I don't know why I just know it has happened.

Second your computer and mouse are still covered by AppleCare consider using it.

Third do you have any addition USB deviced plugged into your computer besides the mouse and the keyboard? Have you tried using the mouse without the mouse pad?

3. mattevil thread starter macrumors member

how do i repair permissions? normally i'd research it but my mouse bairly moves and it would take awile

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Start up off of your OSX 10.2 install disk. That's if you are running 10.2 of course if not then we'll have to do something else.

If you are running 10.2 and you restart on the install disk your mouse should be working fine while running on the install disk. If it isn't then it's time to call AppleCare. Go ahead and repair permissions while your there anyway. Since you don't know how I suspect you have never done it and it really should be done regularly. Once you're at the 10.2 install screen go to the menu bar at the top and fine Open Disk Utility. Once you done that you should be able to figure out the rest.

5. mattevil thread starter macrumors member

it stalled when i booted off the install disc

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Try again. You put the CD in restarted and held C while booting, correct?

7. mattevil thread starter macrumors member

yeah i did all that and even ran the disc utility(albeit slowly cause of the mouse)

8. morlium macrumors regular

You can repair permission by going to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.

You don't need to boot from the CD to repair permissions, only to repair problems.

9. mattevil thread starter macrumors member

does anybody have suggestions for a new mouse now that I'm sure its the mouse that is broken?

10. morlium macrumors regular

I was using the Kensington StudioMouse before I sold my SuperDrive TiBook. I rather enjoyed it.

Now it's just sitting there waiting for the 17" ...

On my desktop I use the Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro Wireless. It has a rather large footprint, but I don't know how I ever lived without.

(mike)

11. cubist macrumors 68020

The Apple Pro Mouse has a poor record for reliability, unfortunately. The wire flexes where it comes out of the plastic, and breaks internally.:( It's too bad, because it looks and feels wonderful.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You definitely have a mouse problem if it was still jumping while you were booted up on the startup disk. I would call AppleCare and have them replace/fix it. Also if you want to get another/better mouse I recommend the Kensingtion StudioMouse wired or wireless.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

This isn't necessarily true. I have found from my own experience and trial and error that you can not repair all the permissions and have them repaired correctly unless you start up off a seperate system i.e. installation disk.

I have had in more then one occasion a problem that wouldn't go away by using Disk Utility on the system and restarting. I had to start up off the installation disk and run it and then it was fixed.