Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Shrink - I am sure that the pension funds that invested in Apple to secure retirement payments to pensioners and individual investors (not traders) would view their future financial status being so impacted as something far greater than an "electronic novelty".

Your sarcastic response suggests a rather limited understanding and view of the importance of how well Apple does beyond your own "novelty" focus.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Shrink - I am sure that the pension funds that invested in Apple to secure retirement payments to pensioners and individual investors (not traders) would view their future financial status being so impacted as something far greater than an "electronic novelty".

Your sarcastic response suggests a rather limited understanding and view of the importance of how well Apple does beyond your own "novelty" focus.

Point taken...:)

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Point taken...:)

Shrink - sorry my point was so pointed, but this has been a bloodbath impacting many people.

My studio operations are almost all Mac - perhaps not a fanboy, but close. I just cringe to see what is happening.

Hard to fathom more of the same from Cook.

I do believe there will be a shareholder revolt over this "switch and bait" capital return plan. My belief is that it is pure fraud.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Shrink - sorry my point was so pointed, but this has been a bloodbath impacting many people.

My studio operations are almost Mac - perhaps not a fanboy, but close. I just cringe to see what is happening.

Hard to fathom more of the same from Cook.

I do believe there will be a shareholder revolt over this "switch and bait" capital return plan. My belief is that it is pure fraud.

It's all good.:D

Your point is correct, and I had not even thought of it.

I was thinking more of the user, rather than the investor...short sighted of me!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
"Fall" definitely pushes the Mac Pro beyond what I'm willing to wait for. Time to start shopping for my new PC parts!

Holding out for the April/May rumor window before I'm really considering jumping ship. An NAB release would have been great...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The whole "fall" comment troubles me as a shareholder... it implies that Apple is going to backload all it's new products into one quarter. I realize many companies do this as its puts fresh products out for the holiday season.

But here is where my concern is: Apple buyers are more passionate about the brand than buyers of other products and frequently buy "one of each." I'll kind of include myself in that category given the number of Apple products I have but don't absolutely need.

But what helps me obtain all these toys is that Apple previously spread out product launches: iPads in the spring, iPhones in the early summer, iPods and some Macs in the fall. At least with the iPad and iPhone, and to a degree Macs, I upgrade annually because it doesn't all come at one time. That launch strategy that created serial upgraders and helped propel AAPL.

But if everything launches around the same time I can't justify spending $2000+ on tech toys in one bite. I don't think I'm alone here. Growth is dead at Apple. Raiding the cookie jar is all that is in it for shareholders to stick around now it seems.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
The whole "fall" comment troubles me as a shareholder...

But if everything launches around the same time I can't justify spending $2000+ on tech toys in one bite. I don't think I'm alone here. Growth is dead at Apple. Raiding the cookie jar is all that is in it for shareholders to stick around now it seems.

Chupa - not sure we can even get at the cookie jar - the details of the capital return plan are as horrifying as the fall schedule.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Growth is dead at Apple.

I wouldn't bet on this theory. There's tons of growth potential left just in the markets Apple currently competes. Add another new product category or two...

I remember when the iPod market was tapering off. Plenty of "growth is dead at Apple" predictions back in those days too. ;)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Intel releases new chips almost quarterly. If Apple did not skip them a generation (or two) at a time you'd have your new Map Pro long time ago.

Quarterly?

Apple has skipped one generation of Xeons since the Mac Pro debuted, and those haven't been updated since their launch in March 2012 and won't be until Q3 this year. Intel update the Xeon line sparsely - March 2009, April 2010 and May 2012 were shipping dates on the last 3 lines, with only a few minor spec bumps introduced during those years.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Well...

Nothing for spring
Nothing for summer
Everything for fall

meh.

Something should have been announced by now.

He said "surprises in the works for fall", he didn't say "everything will be announced in fall."

This means all of the current product line could be updated tomorrow. :p

----------

The whole "fall" comment troubles me as a shareholder... it implies that Apple is going to backload all it's new products into one quarter. I realize many companies do this as its puts fresh products out for the holiday season.

But here is where my concern is: Apple buyers are more passionate about the brand than buyers of other products and frequently buy "one of each." I'll kind of include myself in that category given the number of Apple products I have but don't absolutely need.

But what helps me obtain all these toys is that Apple previously spread out product launches: iPads in the spring, iPhones in the early summer, iPods and some Macs in the fall. At least with the iPad and iPhone, and to a degree Macs, I upgrade annually because it doesn't all come at one time. That launch strategy that created serial upgraders and helped propel AAPL.

Read my previous comment. He didn't say the entire product line would be updated in the fall, he said there were surprises coming in the fall.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
AMEN - this is just more Tim Cook blathering about a pipeline. That is nothing more than corporate speak for

WE AIN'T GOT NOTHING TO SHOW FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER 5 OR 6 MONTHS :eek:

Oh my god what are people going to do for the next 5 months if they don't have a shiny new iToy to play with. :eek:

Of course sites like MR will go nuts because it will be tougher and tougher to fill their pages with stuff people want to click on. :eek:

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
There should be no reason, save for poor execution by management, for effectively delaying the launch of new products until the Fall of 2013 (at the earliest). Meanwhile, Apple's competitors continue to gain ground at Apple's expense.:mad:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Oh my god what are people going to do for the next 5 months if they don't have a shiny new iToy to play with. :eek:

Of course sites like MR will go nuts because it will be tougher and tougher to fill their pages with stuff people want to click on. :eek:

You still don't or won't get it. It is not about shiny toys - it is about a cratering stock value that is having great negative impact on many people. Read the post by Newton70 - says it well.

And based on your short membership / very high number of posts it appears MR has no problem getting you to click.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

That is what is more worrying

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
AMEN - this is just more Tim Cook blathering about a pipeline. That is nothing more than corporate speak for

WE AIN'T GOT NOTHING TO SHOW FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER 5 OR 6 MONTHS :eek:
It's indeed a poor pipeline if the voids are that many months big.

Why do so many people here assume there has to be something new and revolutionary every month or so?
Oh, Lordy...can we possibly survive for a whole 6 months without some electronic novelty in our lives.
Not every month, but every other year would not only be nice, but crucial for a premium hightech company that wants to set trends instead of being one of the 'me too'-NoNames.

IMO the Retina MBP last year was not as revolutionary as e.g. the iPad three years ago.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Why do so many people here assume there has to be something new and revolutionary every month or so?

I will give Apple a bit of a hard time on a few things yet this is not one of them and is one of the things they do get a lot of flack for. I'm not even sure how any company could release something revolutionary every year. It rarely works that way, maybe ever few years otherwise it will just be upgrades.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
He dodged answering all of the questions. His statements are vague. He's a rock in a hard place between investors who are demanding to know when their stock will climb back to the unrealistic heights it was at, and keeping secrecy that leads to the excitement of their future products.

This is where Steve had the edge, the share holders just kept quiet because they knew he didn't care what they thought. 'Just concentrate on producing great products and the rest will follow' was a very good tactic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.