apple+option+ctrl+8=black on white, but...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DevilDog, Jan 21, 2006.

1. DevilDog macrumors regular

DevilDog

so all that makes everything look cool in my opinion, but I wanted to know if anybody had a way to do that but not make it apply to certain things, like iphoto pictures or pictures off of the internet. I like the effect, but it messes with some things like games. Anyway to control what it effects?

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I believe it is an all or nothing effect. IIRC, it is an option for the sight impaired, designed to improve contrast and make the screen more easy to see.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If you want to do it to pictures, just open it up in something and invert the colours. That's all the key combo is doing.

4. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Whoo! your fondue is now blue! :eek:

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

photoshop can invert the colors for you, don't know if iPhoto or Preview can though. but thats all that its doing.

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Am I right in saying you want photos in iPhoto to be in black and white? If so, go to iPhoto and edit them to B&W. Not tried doing them en masse, but it appears to me that's what you are asking for, nothing else.

If you then want to invert the colours, you should be able to invert the B&W image and the colours will be a negative of the B&W image. Since iPhoto doesn't destroy the original images, it should be easy making multiple different copies and/or going back to the original.

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Interestingly older PB's invert to B&W while newer HD capable ones invert the colours.

8. mpw Guest

I think it's an OS version thing rather than PB. IIRC Up until Tiger is negative b&w but Tiger went inverted colour.

9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Actually not tried it under Tiger, but you can bet I will as soon as I can. Man I need my MacBook soon to be able to try things out immediately. :(

10. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

That could be it. I'll have to check that out with a friends PB. Anyway it is a fun little thing to do while I am at an Apple store.

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Indeed. It exactly does it in pretty much precisely the same way, because if you invert an image with photoshop, then invert the OS, the photoshopped image will look the way it's supposed to.

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You should probably use ShapeShifter and get a theme that you like. You can probably find one that suits your needs if you would like OS X to look different. Maybe even a darkish style like the inverse color mode.

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It did this under Panther too... same effect... I think...
    Adds a few minutes of battery life. The greater benefit is being able to see with a low backlight. :D

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

No.

If you go look in the Universal Access preference pane, where you find the White on Black/Black on White option, there's usually another one for Grayscale only, and leaving that unchecked will invert the colors and leave them intact. Otherwise, it'll invert and make it grayscale. All the more easier for people who need those extra accessibility features. I believe the grayscale/color option is available at least from 10.2 onwards, if not, then since whenever that inversion feature was available in the OS.

15. mpw Guest

Yes.

The option was always there in the preference screen but up until a recent OS update Panther or later I'm certain the key combo only gave negative black & white and you had to enter the preference screen for inverted colour.

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

well, i wasn't talking about the key combo itself, i was talking about the ability to switch to inverted color in general :p
    but, for the key combo, yes, i think it was grayscale only.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

notice now though, if you have greyscale checked off, your whole monitor will stay greyscale, even if inverted is turned off. i think that was what changed with the intro of Tiger.