Apple or Dell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Emrtr4, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

Okay, so I love Apple but my moms company can get 17% off Apple and 22% off Dell. My question is that I am in my Jr. year of highschool and I need a new computer, my powerbook is well...on the verge of not working. I plan on buying something late this spring or summer. I want to go into college with the best and newest laptop (a macbookpro probably) but I need a new computer this year.

So this is my question, should I get a PC now that I can use as a media center and for gaming (also for streaming with my 360 and as a DVR, ect) or should I just get a MBP this year?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I own a MacBook Pro myself and I'd definetely suggest it.

The price doesn't make a difference at all for me, OSX is what it's all about. And if OSX is not enough for you, you can run windows as well on the MBP.

I doubt anybody here will recommend you a PC.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

MBP After It's The New Santa Rosa Model With Leopard

Wait for the Santa Rosa MBP with Leopard and iLife '07 on board. You can get the educaitonal discount too. Wait until you really need it right before college begins so you may even be able to get a refurb Santa Rosa MBP by then for even more savings.

4. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

All I can say is that my MBP is worth every penny I spent.

5. Collin973 macrumors 6502

Well, dell might give you 22% off, but they'll only last you 2-3 years at most. All of the dell laptops my family and business have ever owned haven't lasted more than 2 and half years. Also, dell's have almost no resale value. A dell that's two years old goes for 200-300 dollars on ebay, where as a 6 to 7 year old apple goes for that. I think the best investment would be in an MBP. I bought one specifically for college (with the EDU discount) and I'd never want a different computer. If you get an MBP, buy a good sleeve for it. You won't regret it. I carry mine everyday to the Uni with books and notebooks, and my mbp is still in perfect condition, even after 5 months or so.

I think dell makes decent desktops: I have one that's 3 years old and it's still good (I use it as a media center to run my tv, as a dvr, dvd player etc), my business also uses dell desktops and they are good, but I'd avoid dell laptops.

6. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

First of all, if you need a computer now, buy it now. There will always be a faster computer in a couple of months.
    Secondly, I don't understand how you can consider getting a Dell for a couple of years. It will cost you a bundle to buy new programs for Vista then just to buy them all over again when you change back to MBP.
    Get a Mac when you need it. period.

7. macgeek77 macrumors regular

The fustration you will inherit from Microsoft is not workth the couple of bucks you save from the Pro. REMEMBER!! A mac can be a mac AND a PC.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well, I have both. And the dell is a piece of ****. Windows is buggy, I keep getting driver crashes and stuff, and its just crap.

Get the mac.

9. autechre macrumors newbie

autechre

Believe me, I hate PCs just as much as the next Mac guy, but I can tell you that Dell machines are well built. The biggest problem is the junk that's loaded on them (i.e. Windows). People always associate crashes/bad performance with the manufacturer of there machine, but 95% of the time the core problem is that Windows just infects the PC on which it is loaded. From the moment the machine is out of the factory and loaded with Windows, its days are numbered, and the computer undergoes a long death...:(

I agree though. Emrtr4, you will not be disappointed with a mac. That extra 5% you save is not worth the constant headaches you will get from using a Windows machine.

10. ToddW macrumors 6502a

while dell make a good pc and all, i wouldn't recommend it. 17% is a great discount. i would take that opporutnity to get a good macbook pro while you got the chance. i work at a place where a hugh data system we use has forty dell workstations and five dell servers. it isn't really the best. there is always something going out. i can't stand dell's oem install of windows and have to reinstall on every single machine and change the machine so it will work. they jack with everything down to the security settings. just something to think about. if you need windwos for a couple of programs or soemthing liek that in school just go the bootcamp route or parallels.

good luck with your decision.

11. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Which is why every PC I've ever purchased from Dell was reformatted, w/ a fresh install of the OS. No "ifs", "ands" or "buts" about it... I've had my MBP (very first Mac I've owned) for 10 days now, and my Dell laptop (Inspiron 9300) is sitting there collecting dust even though it's connected to my new Airport Extreme Base Station (yes, I went all-out & got nothing but Apple-made stuff):apple:

12. volvoben macrumors 6502

Of course the thing to do is buy an Apple, but if you had other choices in PC laptops I'd consider something of higher build quality (something closer to an Apple) such as a Lenovo (IBM). Dell makes fine laptops, most of them will never have major problems, but I've had rough luck. My mother's inspiron 4100 had a hinge break when it was 2 years old, then a large white spot on the screen developed, then the fan kicked and it's been sitting in the corner for 2 years. My 5160 had a short near the DC input after 1.5 years and died, and the big boring accounting firm where i freelanced recently is starting to replace their dell laptops with lenovos because the latitude d600's etc they use have had a lot more problems than expected.

Most dells will perform well, no one would still be buying them if they didn't, but if you're looking for decent build quality you really need a higher end latitude machine.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Did you enjoy your PowerBook? If so get a MacBook Pro, if not, and you don't like OS X buy a PC(Not a Dell...Leveno or something)

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

that's exactly word by word what i was going to tell you...

15. E-Tech macrumors member

16. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i agree. it depends on your comfort level and needs. both OS'es have their weakness & strong points. i'm a unix admin so i like Mac better. Closer to my heart :D

17. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

A very good point... If I were to buy a non-Apple laptop, I'd probably look hard at a Sager...

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah, but it's Dell's crappy drivers for my wireless card that made my laptop crash constantly. They fixed that in an updated version, but the connection still drops off frequently, and it never drops on my iBook.

In addition, Windows XP is just coded ineffeciently. After a few months, it just slows down and you'll have to reformat. I've had to reformat my Dell 3 times since I got it last summer.

19. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

If eventually you are going to buy a MBP and you need a computer for this year to hold you over, I'd say go with a PC. For one year, I think you could deal with Windows Vista, especially if you get a ThinkPad or other high quality hardware. By waiting, you will also get your MBP with Santa Rosa (if you wait long enough, maybe even Montevina?), iLife '07, Leopard, and possibly price decreases.

20. MrMacbookMan macrumors newbie

If your only a junior in high school now and your gonna want the latest and greatest for college, than you might have a problem. However, you definitely want to consider the macbook pro's better resale value so if you do decide to sell whatever you choose so you can get the new latest and greatest, the macbook might actually come out to be cheaper. :)

21. beingme macrumors member

Another vote for the macbook pro.... I'm getting jealous

22. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No pun intended but if the 5% discount difference is nagging you, I suggest you go for the cheapest solution.

This would, however, be a no brainer for the majority of people visiting this forum. We would all take the MacBook Pro over anything Dell makes, 5% discount difference or not. A Dell cannot run Mac OSX (at least not legally) at this time.

23. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

In my opinion, it's pretty much the other way around. While Apple is able to ship the operating system on the MacBooks the way they want, computer manufacturers like Dell or Sony feel for some reason urged to install all those little helper apps (just look at the status bar of these computers: Usually you have 10-15 little applications running, some of them just to tell you that you own an oh so great Sony/Dell/whatever computer). Sometimes, "enhanced" drivers are added. The driver for the DVD writer that came with the Toshiba laptop of my girlfriend worked so badly with Windows that the OS didn't even recognize the empty DVDs anymore.. the only way to burn a DVD was with one of the programs that came with the laptop.

So I think you are not really fair when you say the problem is always Windows. It would run much more stable when the laptop manufacturers didn't add their stupid programs (which were probably all programmed by a summer intern).

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Dell is by far the *worst* PCs you can get.

They use the cheapest parts, the parts you can't even download generic drivers (from ATI or Intel) as they are cheap "copies" of the name-brand technologies so you have to go to Dell to get drivers - if they even work.

The tech support is horrible and they don't even speak native English, and they hate us Americans.

My friend went against my advice and bought one of those new Dells with Vista. He's had nothing but problems. He can't even get a hold of support.

I bought a Mini over Christmas and it's been awesome.

This website says it all:

http://www.ihatedell.net

If you want a Wintel machine, go with HP. We got one for our Sr. Pastor over Christmas. It works great, but you have to reformat the drive and do a clean install of Windows to get rid of the bloatware, adware, and spyware.

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Gee should I have a dual platform hailed as awesome, or a dell that only does windows, costs lots of $$ for what you get, less capable, prone to more security issues, but plays halo a bit better. Hmmmm tough one.