Apple or Third Party RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rsamo, Mar 2, 2005.

1. rsamo macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    When the new iMacs come out I plan on buying one and I'm sure that I will want to add about 512 MB of RAM. Should I include this with my purchase or just go with some third party RAM. How difficult is it to install additional RAM in the new iMac G5? Is my warranty null if I install this myself? What if CompUSA or another authorized resaler does it?
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Go with 3rd party RAM. It is very easy to install.
  3. igucl macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2003
    It is, as edesign said, easy to install. Also, it is almost always substantially cheaper than Apple's, even if it is of equal quality. I put Crucial memory in my iMac, and have not had a bit of trouble.
  4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Your warranty is not violated for adding RAM in the iMac G5. All you have to do is loosen three captured screws then lift the back cover off, you will see the RAM slots and you can add to your hearts content. Go with a thirdparty retailer that offers a lifetime warranty that way you never have to worry about you RAM.
  5. paulypants macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    I would say that you should buy 3rd party even though I just added a gig of ram from crucial to my G5 and its acting weird now...
  6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hello, 3rd party ram for any ram upgrades = way cheaper :D
  7. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    Thanks for the advice.

This will be my first time installing on a Mac. When I purchase the computer should I add the RAM and then go through the process of setting it up, or should I set it up and then add afterward?

Also will the computer recognize the additional memory on its own?
  8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Always set up a new machine stock first, to verify it is working, before adding any hardware or software. That way, if it doesn't work it's back to the seller as a DOA. Whereas if you put in a bunch of upgrades, you would have to deinstall and prove it wasn't your upgrades that caused the problem.

When you are upgrading, install only one thing at a time, restart and test. Same reason -- you want to have only one thing to troubleshoot, not a mix of several.

You Mac will automatically recognize the RAM as soon as it is turned back on.

I recommend buying RAM from a seller who provides a guarantee that the RAM is compatible with your model Mac.

9. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    Thanks Travis. I bet I look pretty stupid asking a question like that when the obvious common sense approach is make sure the machine is working first. Glad to know people in the forums even answer stupid questions like my own. :)
  10. rsamo thread starter macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    Sorry Trevor that last message was a response to you. Just remembered the name incorrectly.
  11. nickane macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2005
    I just ordered an imac (4 days to ship) and altho i can't afford ram at the moment, I will definitely be installing some eventually, and as much as i'm all up for 3rd party, i was told that it would invalidate my warranty. I got the computer on a grant that also covered the mastercare, and altho i'd didn't pay for it myself it seems a bit stupid to make it so redundant so soon. Crucial may guarantee their RAM but i doubt they can offer me anything for my computer. Am i wrong about this? Most ppl will be putting that ram in pretty soon after purchase surely, is it really worth that £50/gb? Please tell me I'm wrong.