Apple Order and Shipping Process

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by reaper, Jul 7, 2004.

1. reaper macrumors 6502

Anyone have any ideas what the varying degrees of order preparation are? My order I placed last night is "open" right now, so I assume that means they haven't done anything to it at all. Is that right? Also, what can I expect in terms of the status changing over the next couple days while my order is prepared? Thanks.

2. FasterSoonerNow macrumors member

As far as I've read, it's really just a random thing as to when they'll get to your order and get it shipped.

For some, the thing is shipped the day after they ordered it, despite what the shipping estimate was. For others, it ships about 3-4 days later.

It'll get there. I ordered my Powerbook last night.

This wait will be tough... But just think about when it finally comes.

3. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously... this wait is killing me. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait it out refreshing my order status page every 5 minutes. :(

Congrats on the new PB, btw! :)

- reaper

4. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Well take it from me, the most impatient person in the world, it's worth the agonising wait, (i'm so impatient, i was using the school's T3 line during tech to check my order status)

:D

5. jhomayne macrumors regular

anyone got any tips on the TNT worldwide tracking service?

i've tried inputting all sorts of customer references and tracking numbers but to no avail

:confused:

6. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

nope. my order is still in the "open" stage as of now and says it will ship on or before 7/14. is that the service they use for shipping to the US? does anyone else know what the numbers are?

- reaper

7. FasterSoonerNow macrumors member

Evidently it appears we're in a similar situation. :)

Placed my order last night (for the aforementioned PB), and also ordered Battlefield 1942.

BF1942 shipped today (which is impressive enough, since it said estimated ship. would be 7/12, but it'll be here Friday)

But as for the PB, it's listed as Open, with est. ship 7/14.

I'm willing to bet it'll be sooner... Either late this week (Friday), or early next.

8. w00tmaster macrumors regular

\
    Did you customize it? If you customized it you might be waiting a while. I know I am getting very impatient, I ordered my new dual 1.8 BTO(since the upgraded vid card was too tempting not to get, figured I would add 1 gig of ram and an airport too) a week ago, still hasn't shipped yet....
    However, if you order a stock config you get it shipped same day. Coupled with apple's return policy, one wonders why they even offer bto. If it wasn't for the vid card I would have just added my own memory and installed the airport card on my own.
    IIRC, they do their bto stuff in Taiwan, which to me doesn't make sense because the extra shipping cost would trump the labor cost(though it makes worldwide shipping easier I guess).
    You may be waiting a very long(and frustrating) while, hope you have better luck than I.

9. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about your wait. :( Hopefully, these things will work themselves out and ship sooner rather than later. I did BTO my 17" with the bigger video card and faster hd, but I thought that these would be pretty "standard" options. Oh well, I'll keep on waiting. :confused:

- reaper

10. jhomayne macrumors regular

what i meant was, my order has shipped (with TNT express) but i can't seem to access the TNT tracking service (to tell you the truth i don't even know which number to put in)

any tips?

11. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

I have never heard of TNT Express... I don't think this bodes well for my shipment! :(

- reaper

12. w00tmaster macrumors regular

At least you got yours shipped, I ordered my G5 on 6/30 and still nothing :( It says it will ship tomorrow at the latest. Here is to hoping for the best. I already got the monitor(not apple, couldn't afford it), so out of boredom I attatched it to my iBook. Even thought it is not in it's native resolution, still looks pretty nice(20.1" Iiyama pro-lite 511S)

13. shadowband macrumors member

How did you make out?
    I ordered my G5 right after the keynote (June 28 - 2 days before you) and the ETA was listed as July 8th. Well July 8th came and went and today a new ETA of July 23rd was listed :mad: I wouldn't mind so much if apple was up front about the ship date, but it's hard to believe that the original date was ever credible given that it just slipped 15 days. Go figure :confused:

14. Tremaine macrumors member

Exact same thing happened to me. I really question why Apple would give a date that suddenly is pushed out another 2 weeks when they could have just been conservative in the estimate to begin with...

15. xgsrpg macrumors member

I heard that Apple has been having problems with the supply on the new Power Mac G5s. I actually ordered my 15" PB yesterday with BTO video card, HD, and RAM (upgraded to 1 stick of 512), and it shipped the same day from Sacramento, CA via FedEx. According to FedEx, estimated delivery is July 15. I can't bear the wait!

16. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I envy your guy's position. I am still waiting for the money to get put into my account so I can put it onto my Visa and then send it to Apple. I guess it is alright though as I am still debating whether I want the 1 Ghz or the 1.2 Ghz 14 inch iBook. And I really wish that iDVD worked with third party DVD burners so I could save money and buy one of those instead of having a SuperDrive installed.

17. w00tmaster macrumors regular

Well, I managed to 1-up you, my ship date got pushed back 18 days, from the 9th to the 27th.... I should have ordered as soon as they announced the rev B G5s, but I waited till the WWDC to see if I would buy a display. I decided against it, and now I have to wait for my new power mac....grrr...
    Someone else on this forum had a similiar problem, but apple ended up shipping it a day after they moved back the ship date, and they gave him a free upgrade to Fedex 2nd day....hope they do the same for you.
    I am considering just cancelling my order, I don't really want to mess around, I need a computer, and if Apple doesn't want my business, then I can take it elsewhere....
    Hmmmm..I just went to the apple store and looked at the ship time on a stock config 1.8Ghz, a week ago it said it would ship same business day, but now it is saying 3-5 days....they must really be having some supply issues...

18. shadowband macrumors member

I was waiting for the rev B G5s as well, and I had the same temptation to order after they were announced, but it was too close to WWDC. You did the right thing since you just never know what will be announced at WWDC. It actually did work out for me since I was able to take advantage of the $99 Final Cut Express offer (which took effect on the same day as the keynote). I'm not happy, but I'm going to hang in there and wait it out. :(

19. Tremaine macrumors member

Woohoo! My Dual 2.0 w/9600 ordered on 6/28, estimated ship 7/8, pushed out until 7/23, actually shipped today!

Ahhhh! Just got the email - New 20" LCD shipping as well. Tracking says I'll have it tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!! Yahtzee!!!!!!!! :eek:

20. w00tmaster macrumors regular

hooray! That gives me hope, maybe I'll be getting an email soon!
    Enjoy your new system. :D

21. shadowband macrumors member

Originally Posted by Tremaine
    Great news! My situation is almost identical to yours, with the exception that my order hasn't shipped yet. We both ordered the dual 2.0 w/9600 on 6/28. We both had an estimated ship date of 7/8 which got pushed out to 7/23. The only difference is that I upgraded to 1 GB memory and 500 GB of disk. Hopefully, my order is the next one in the queue. :rolleyes:

22. shadowband macrumors member

Shipped today!

Finally... it's on the way:cool:. It turned out to be a 7 day slip from the original ETA. It was starting to look as though the ship time on a 2.5 GHz box would beat out the ship time on a 2.0 GHz box.

23. j62lee macrumors newbie

The weirdest thing is happening to me...

I ordered my PB 12" BTO, with the 5400rpm 80GB hard drive July 13th, around 9PST. Apple estimated it would ship July 19th, but it was shipped July 14th. I checked with FedEx, and they said it'd arrive at my place by July 16th, 12pm. However, FedEx had no information on where the package was (no scan information available, according to FedEx site). I call up FedEx, and they tell me although the package was entered into the system, they haven't actually received the call from Apple to pick up the package! Bah! Now I have to wait until tomorrow, when the Apple call centre opens again... Damn... this waiting is killing me! I want my powerbook! :mad:

24. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Kind of werid- my 15" BTO PB with the 5400rpm drive said it would ship on the 16th, but actually shipped on the 12th. It is scheduled to arrive on the 16th! I can't stand the wait!

-aj

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Lucky, I ordered a 15"PB BTO with the upgraded VRAM, HD, 1 stick of 512, and Final Cut Express on the 9th. Still waiting for it to ship.

Near as I can figure it's the FCE install that's taking so long since there seem to be other people ordering the other options and getting them shipped sooner. I only added FCE since with my student discount it was fairly reasonable and my wife and I are expecting our first child in November so I thought it might come in handy with home videos.

Oh well at least I'll know that my PB booted for the install, a little insurance against DOA.

must.... refresh... order status page.... again.....