Apple Ordered to Pay All of Samsung's Court Costs in UK Tablet Design Dispute

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Following a series of events in a UK court case between Apple and Samsung that resulted in Apple having to publish a revised notice acknowledging that Samsung's Galaxy Tab devices had not infringed upon the registered design related to the iPad, the court has now ruled that Apple must pay all of Samsung's legal fees. The order was made after the court decided that Apple's behavior in the matter had been inappropriate and showed a "lack of integrity".
    The order also highlights the court's issues with Apple's original statement, which contained improperly inserted text within the notice that was required by the court. The court's order specifically permitted Apple to comment on or publish its own information relating to the case, but the company was judged to have purposely circumvented the intent of the order by inserting information judged to be false within the ordered text.
    Beyond the inclusion of false and misleading text within the required notice, the court also took exception to Apple's claim that it would take 14 days to modify the notice posted on its website. The court ultimately gave Apple 48 hours to make the changes, and the company complied with that demand.

Article Link: Apple Ordered to Pay All of Samsung's Court Costs in UK Tablet Design Dispute
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2008
    Well, that's what Apple gets for trying to be a wise-ass.
  3. macrumors 68030

Jul 30, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Pretty obnoxious behaviour by Apple. I'll bet the heels wouldn't have been dragged if this had been a judgement from an American court.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2010
    Court to Apple:

"You know what we meant, you know how to comply. Now COMPLY."
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Thats pretty much par for the course when losing ANY lawsuit.
  6. macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2005
    Apple wont even notice, but hopefully they start understanding that they're overdoing it a bit with the lawsuits and it's time to start acting like a market leader and not a whiner.

Enough with the patent wars. There is an entire parasitic industry based on patent aggregation, holding, and sales to companies to use as ammunition.

And yes, we know the order to pay fees has nothing to do with public sentiment about their litigiousness. It's a side-comment.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Mar 16, 2012
    Cupertino, CA
  8. macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2005
    In the UK yes, but not in the states. It's a good rule that I wish they'd implement here (in the US).
  9. macrumors 6502

Apr 8, 2012
    New York
    I'm honestly all sick of this Samsung, HTC, lawsuits and bullcrap.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2009
    Anyone else notice so much of the apple news lately is about these legal games and fighting with their partners, suppliers, competitors.

Apple has really lost their ability to focus on product and would rather get into school-yard squabbles than focus on their business

Apple 2012 = Microsoft 1998.
  11. macrumors member

Jun 15, 2011
    While the original statement was misleading, childish, etc, which part of it was "false"? I would have thought that factual accuracy would have been important for them to get right in their eyes, even if they were going to disobey the intention of the statement.
  12. macrumors 68030

Feb 17, 2009
    May I suggest that whenever we see the two logos next to each other in an MR thread, to just scroll on until they Apple vs. Samsung on page 2?
  13. macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2005
    I was just thinking the exact same thing.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2010
  15. macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2009
    FEMA Region VIII
    We knew this would happen, but it's still sad to watch the wheels coming off.
  16. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Aug 11, 2010
    I think this should happen anyway, if you lose a case you should foot the bills for both parties. Might stop some lawsuits dead in their tracks.
  17. macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Where I live
    Apple and Samsung lawyers are probably at the pub right now... I mean this was even more billable time for them to get this judgment...

Lawyers win... If only I had liked that over computer science... But I do what I love and get paid for it... wouldn't choose a career for money first.
  18. macrumors member

Nov 12, 2010
    I don't know... but if you're gonna lose I'll probably rather pay legal cost, that advertise for my competition.
  19. macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    Posted about the ruling this morning. No surprise. And as it should be.
  20. macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2009
    I think Steve Jobs left behind some great legacies at Apple. I hope his crusade against phone companies who use Android is one legacy that the current leadership lets go.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Oct 22, 2009
    I imagine neither side really cares, all these costs inevitably get pushed onto us, the consumers in the end. I wish they'd all sort out appropriate licensing and sell us just the products, to make us pay their legal fees as well.
  22. macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2012
  23. JAT
    macrumors 603

Dec 31, 2001
    Mpls, MN
    This is going to make a lot of petty people on the internet very happy.
  24. macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2008
    Essex (UK)
    One of the more interesting aspects of this story is those that originally said Apple weren't stupid enough to go against the court's rule and what Apple originally wrote was in compliance with the court order. :p

It's about time this story was put to rest now though, Apple seem to have inadvertently (or not?) created a lot of press over something that didn't need as much attention as it has got.
  25. macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2011
    Times are changing, macrumors used to be full of fanboys that didnt care about logic but it seems Apples behaviour has pissed them off too.