Apple Orders 13.3'' LED Backlit Screens for Upcoming Laptop?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Digitimes claims that Apple has placed an order with Kenmos Technology and Taiwan Nano Electro-Optical Technology for 13.3-inch LED notebook backlight units for an upcoming Apple laptop:
    Kenmos is also said to be shipping LED notebook BLUs to Apple for "high-end models".

Apple has been rumored to be launching a new "ultra-portable" laptop at Macworld San Francisco in January. Early specs described by Appleinsider suggested the new sub-notebook would carry a 13" screen with aluminum enclosure that is described to be 50% lighter and "strikingly slimmer" than the existing 15" MacBook Pros. Apple recently adopted the environmentally friendly LED backlit screens in its MacBook Pro models.

Steve Jobs will be giving the Macworld San Francisco 2008 keynote speech on January 15th, 2008.

Article Link

2. macrumors 603

mrkramer

yay maybe now I will be able to update my powerbook. unless they have glossy screens.

3. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Oooh, it's all coming together. This should be fun. :D

4. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

5. macrumors 65816

Squonk

So and LED for the MBP nano. Excellent. Now, what about LED for the 17"?

6. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

looks as though all the prayers for those in need of an ultra portable are being answered. i don't need one but i am very excited to see what this is all about because this is only going to take apple another step forward in the notebook industry!

7. macrumors 6502

+1 on this one. This is one of the bigger features I'm waiting on to make the switch. My Windows machine is on it's last leg (to the point I have to leave it running b/c the hard drive is shot), and a Mac is right around the corner, provided any announced updates at MWSF08 are sufficient enough to get me to slide over to the stable, fun, and efficient side sooner.

8. macrumors regular

9. macrumors 65816

amac4me

Bring it on ... MacWorld can't get here fast enough :apple:

10. macrumors regular

Claytoniss

11. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

DANG IT!!! I knew I should have waited instead of ordering my MacBook after Thanksgiving! Oh well! I am quite happy wth it and I saved $101.

12. macrumors 68040

emotion

Exactly the form factor I'm needing (I had a 12" powerbook, went to macbook but that's a little clunky for me, my work-bought MBP is more like it but too big).

This isn't an ultra-portable though. I think there'll be something very small coming. 6" WS display, multitouch, ULV chip. Would be a perfect companion to apple tv and a home server like a mac miniplus.

I think we have a busy year for apple computer releases ahead.

13. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

looking forward to it. Just hope it's powerful enough to use as a proper computer, not just an enhanced iPhone

14. macrumors 6502

Aslong as i can stick any cd or dvd in to it ,to watch or rip it , i'm looking forward to it ;-).
    I always disliked the plastic of the macbook, and was looking forward to aluminium version of it for some time now.

15. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Am I the only one thinking a 13.3" screen does not really make an laptop ultra portable...?

16. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

2 observations: 1. Manufacturer rumors are incredibly unreliable. 2. 13.3 is too big, no matter how thin. I'm still holding on to my 12" G4 ibook for the form factor; ultraportable needs to be 9 or 10 inches.

17. macrumors newbie

I hope they get the LED back lit displays in the iMac. Maybe it will improve the look of their displays...

18. macrumors 68000

Kwill

I thought in Steve's open letter, ALL Mac displays were supposed to be LED by the end of 2007. :confused:

19. macrumors 603

notjustjay

I was just going to say...

Uh, people, how do we know this is for a brand new product? I think this is just a refresh for the MacBooks.

I'll believe the "ultra slim" rumor when I see it. That said, I have room reserved on my line of credit ;)

20. macrumors 68020

Yes--it seems odd that at best it would be a slimmer macbook. If it's going to be something different and "ultraportable" I would think it's (as next poster mentions) 9-10" screen or so (maybe 11).

21. macrumors 65816

jackc

22. macrumors member

Yeah...What is up with glossy? I really like the way they look, but as far as functionality goes, they are miserable. GLARE-city! Geez!:(

23. macrumors regular

I agree....Why would Apple want to make a 13.3 inch Macbook Pro?? Wouldn't that pretty much get rid of most of the market for regular Macboks? I am hoping that they do announce an ultra-portable at Macworld...however if that is 13.3 I will be disappointed.....then again maybe I'm just being picky....I mean how much difference is there between 12 and 13....by 12 I'm referring to my old PowerBook.....

24. macrumors 65816

jholzner

Nope. This is what he said:

"Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008.

Apple plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible."

25. macrumors member

Lonon

I love when MacRumors ansd AppleInsider change what they said before.

When they have sources of a 13' then it's a posible ultraportable macbook. When there's no news, then they say "oh, it must be a 7' portable, bigger than the iPhone but smaller than a macbook".

PICK. ONE. RUMOR.

And stick with it.