Apple OS X activation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elisha cuthbert, Aug 8, 2006.

1. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Ok so we saw yesterday that we were baging the crap out of Micro*****, and one of the many things were the activation. My question is if mac doesn't have activation how would they keep track of people pirating OS X?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They actually trust you to do the right thing...imagine that.

(Of course, that will change if they ever decide that piracy has become significant enough...)

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

OS X just gets Apple users to buy cool hardware. So I think Apple just bites the bullet and trusts users to do the right thing.

They also could notice if suddenly the same serial number started popping up everywhere...

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

To run the operating system you need to spend potentially thousands of dollars on an Apple computer, that's your activation code.

Apple will abide a limited ammount of piracy since the value of the hardware exceeds the operating system several fold and they wouldn't wish to aggravate legitimate users by employing activation.

5. projectle macrumors 6502

They can figure out pretty quickly how many are pirating if they give out something like 10,000 Leopard Preview or OS X for Intel in the dev kits and then all the sudden see that 16,000 are trying to access Software Update.

Despite what you may hear elsewhere, Apple is a Hardware company.

All that they have done as far as anti-piracy goes is to make it so that the Intel stuff used a hardware id to determine if it came from Apple or someone else. If it came from someone else, do not let it install.

Sure, people have found ways around that but Apple is not trying to make things overly difficult against them. Just a bit of poetry saying that you shouldn't steal our stuff.

6. Project macrumors 68020

the more people using OSX the better for Apple, period. Illegal or not.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well can't the developers install them on multiple macs? Apple should encourage them to do that so they get a better bug report.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There is a license check built into OS X Server. It doesn't phone home to Apple, but it does prevent server-specific features from running on more than one machine on the same LAN using the same serial number. That's what this cryptic little Apple tech note is about, port 626 is what serialnumberd uses.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I personally don't get aggravated by activation. What is interesting is that they make us activate things like iLife updates, etc.- why not the OS? I think activation is simply like walking through a check out line and the store making sure that everyone that is walking through paid for everything. Now I don't like it when those alarms go off on me at the store, but I understand why they do it and realistically it helps keep the prices down by catching many casual thieves that don't realize where to look for electronic tracking devices, etc.

10. projectle macrumors 6502

I was unaware that we needed to "activate" the iLife and iWork packages in the way that one needs to "activate" Photoshop or Windows.

I thought that Apple wants you to "register" to get updates, as in say yes this product key has been purchased, I am using it, so feel free to send me ads about newer versions and put another tally mark next to iLife for another purchase.

But then, if you do not register, you still get updates...

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have never worked with activating windows software- but with iLIfe they give you a key or code to enter- how is Windows different?

12. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

In Windows, if your key has been used more than once, it will not work and you will be forced to call Microsoft's tech support, give your key to a person on the other end of the phone and input a very long key back in to Windows. This is frustrating because it must be done everytime you want to re-install Windows and you may not always understand the person's accent that is giving you a long key to input :rolleyes:

13. projectle macrumors 6502

Entering a product key and having your computer call up the software developer and say...

"Adrian Fogge is attempting to install iLife '06 on his Powerbook G4 17" 5,9 (W85411Q9SX0) with the product key NO4W-DC43-KWDD-WVHX-EVJ4-SFA on June 17, 2007 at 6:45.41 PM. Is this key currently acceptable to let this person install this product at this time on this computer?"

is a little different than type in a key and run through an equation to see if it is an actual key.

Windows and Photoshop use the first method. iLife and iWork use the second method.

(By the way Mods, I made up that key.)

14. almightyshoe macrumors regular

Windows activation is a righteous pain in the left buttock. They actually limit the number of times you can activate it. They assume that nobody needs to install Windows XP more than 3 times. EVER. Ok, true enough, I have to email them with a 'legitimate' reason why I need another activation, and I always put something in there that puts the blame on their coding failures.

15. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Yeah, I HATE activation, becuase of that, I now can only use my Windows for 30days. I had it installed on my old eMachiens, then built my own computer, formattted the drives, and reinstalled. Now it wants me to activate. So I do it over the net, won't let me. THen I call them and I have to do that code by saying it slowly, and when I got to the last few digits, they kept saying "I Cannot understand you" I was getting so pissed, I actually yelled at them. Then I finally got with a person, and their accent was so rich, I could barely understand what they were saying. Then, I had to call again, cuz my call was put on hold, and you know what happens then don't ya... Well, they told me I needed to get my key through eMachines, becuase the key on the back of my old machine doesn't work. Well, I call eMachines, and they won't give me the key becuase they think I'm pirating, I mean, seriously, I ahve the freakin' cds they jus sent me like, six weeks ago, and they refuse to give me the key for that, wut freakin' gives.

So, long story short, I hate Activation, I mean, I don't mind registering, becuase that is optional. But, becuase of that, I have to reinstall my Windows in two weeks. Damn I am pissed again, takes me back to two weeks ago.

16. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

I don't see what the problem is

I've been using software that needs activating on Windows and Macs and have had 3 issues:

Photoshop CS2: Forgot to move the licences code before I wiped it off a Mac that I sold. When I itried to re-install it I had a problem, one 5 minute call later problem fixed.

Norton Antivirus - Kept installing it on same PC every time I wiped it. Changed motherboard - needed to phone Norton- a couple of minutes later it was installed.

iTunes - exceeded 5 computer limit as I kept forgetting to unauthorise it, one email later Apple had zeroed the account for me (this was before you could do it yourself).

That's 3 problems I've had in about 2 years. There was a delay for the first two issues, but they continued to function whilst I had to wait for "office hours". But the people are courteous and friendly and I have never felt that I was being asked to proove that I wasn't a pirate.

So even though I've had some problems I don't know what the big deal is.

As long as some people decide they should never pay for software then the software companies will continue to look at anti-piracy measures.