apple OS X Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wwworry, Mar 25, 2002.

1. wwworry macrumors regular

Does anyone know how far Apple is going to go with Mail? I do not really like it currently.

I am wondering if I should buy an email client or wait for a better version of Mail (in 10.2?) or even a carbonised version of Outlook Express.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I find it more than adequate for my needs.
    What don't you like?

3. Biggles macrumors member

it does all i need right now. If you want more to your email client, i know entourage isn't too shabby

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

There are some little niggling things I'd like to see fixed in Mail... and iPhoto... but that's what v2.0 is for! :)

5. tigerkachel macrumors newbie

Since I installed 10.1.3 I cannot send mail anymore through yahoo or apple. It has a problem with the authentification. The same was true in 10.1.1 but was fixed in 10.1.2.

So right now it's a bit a burden to me because I have to go on to the web to be able to send mail.

Does anybody know if there is a workaround?

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've never seen any problems with my Mac.com or POP accounts for school. What "authentication" problem are you seeing?

7. plehrack macrumors newbie

How about threaded views?

Peter Lehrack

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sorry, I'm not big into newsgroups...this site keeps me busy enough! :p

9. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Not that it's worth spending a lot of money on - but Entourage is my mail app of choice. I don't see ever going back to Mail. It's just not enough (still needs a little work).

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

If you can't use your mac.com (iTools) account through Mail.app, then you have it configured wrong somehow. Not being able to use Yahoo is not surprising, as they very recently stopped offering free SMTP/POP3 access.

11. wwworry thread starter macrumors regular

I think my big problem with it is that I can not use it if I boot into classic. I still need to do that for audio work though maybe in a few months...
    I was thinking about switching to Mailsmith.

I had messages in OE and in Mail and that was no good.

Also I had some problems with "Open mail-box as read only? Otherwise you might permanently dammage your data" messages.

The biggest problem was if an email could not be sent I could not stop it from trying. The stop button in the progress window does not work. I had to force quit the application.

Plus under spelling you have "spelling" and "check spelling". What's that about?

I understand Apple software engineers are busy with a lot of things. Not everything is perfect yet

12. plehrack macrumors newbie

FWIW Apple is aware of the "damage your mailbox problem". If you haven't changed your network settings, don't worry, click open anyways and all will be ok.

The main reason I keep using Mail is because it looks great. I keep trying to find a replacement, but I'm addicted to a good UI and antialiased text. :)

Peter Lehrack

13. CharlesOwens6 macrumors newbie

Entorage is really the way to go for me. The user interface (at least in OSX)
    is quite pretty for my tastes. About the authentication problems...
    Did you try to go into tools, then accounts, then edit your account that is having problems. Go to advanced sending options. I know that mac.com e-mail accounts don't require authentification. Am I right?

14. tigerkachel macrumors newbie

First of all, yahoo doesn't stop giving free pop access until April 24th.

Secondly I have not changed anything in the config ever since I installed it with 10.0.0. Nevertheless it stopped working with 10.1.1, continued working with 10.1.2 and now with 10.1.3 stopped again.

I get the following message:
    The host “smtp.mac.com” rejected the password for user “tigerkachel”.
    And than I can reenter the password but it keeps rejecting it (and no, I do not enter it incorrectly).

When using yahoo (or whatever other pop account for that matter, I have about 10) I get the following message:
    This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox until it can be delivered. The reason for the failure is: authentication required - for help go to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html.

and yes, I have set the authentication in the preferences.
    Any suggestions?

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Entourage v.X is definitely one of my favorite e-mail applications. I like Mail.app in general, but the one specific detail that keeps me from using it is the lack of proper folder subscription for IMAP accounts. If you have a mail account and a shell account on the same service, there is no way in Mail.app to avoid seeing every single file in your home directory appear as a message folder in Mail.app. The IMAP specification includes the idea of "subscribing" to folders which you want to see in your client. Entourage supports this. If Mail.app did, I might still be using it today.

16. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I used to have that problem all the time changing around my various mail readers. What I ended up doing was switching from POP to IMAP. All my e-mail is now stored on the server, and I can retrieve/see/organize it just like I could POP mail. I can now access and manage all my e-mail from any Internet-connected computer.

I used to be afraid of doing things this way - "what if the server deletes all my mail?" - then I realized that my ISP's mail server is probably a lot more reliable than my own machine(s). And I have the mail cached locally anyway, so if the ISP ever loses my mailbox, I can simply copy everything back.

Two possible downsides to IMAP mail: 1) It's probably not a good option if the total size of your mail folders including attachments exceeds whatever your ISP gives you (5MB? 10MB? 20MB?). And 2) It's slightly slower than POP if you use a modem. I dunno, maybe you've considered IMAP already, it's just that I find a lot of people have no idea they can get around POP's drawbacks this way.

The IMAP face: :D
    The POP face: :(

So there you have it. :)

Alex

17. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

One way to get around this would be to store your mail in its own directory on the server, and then to change your path prefix in your mail client. My mail is stored on the server in ~/mail. I just added the absolute path to my mail directory in the Account Path Prefix of Account Options in the preferences of Mail.app.

Alex

18. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ive found mail to be the buggiest apple app ive ever used (unles you count mac osx). i still use it though. i used to use mozilla since then i had mail in osx and os9. the worst part of mail is the import mailboxes. it doesnt work. it sucks having to open mozilla mail everytime i need to find old mail. i woudl think that would deter most people to switching to apple's mailapp. also for some reason i can make new boxes sometimes. its just grayed out for no reason.

there are just lots of little bugs, nothing to make me stop using it. the advantages are too good. i guess its the same as osx. riddled with bugs that should have been worked out in beta stages, but osx is too good to give up until apple gets its act together so we are stuck with it.

19. zengravy macrumors newbie

zengravy

Interestingly enough, there is a job listing at apple.com that states "we are extending Mail". Apparently, they have some manner of plans regarding its abilities...

20. ejm625 macrumors newbie

My biggest beef with the mail.app is that sometimes I have to exit it and go back into it in order to read new mail. It's a pain, but it's free without banners.

21. wwworry thread starter macrumors regular

I had no idea, truly. I will give it a shot. Thanks!

22. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i was wondering about MIME. what exactly is this? ever since i switched to OSX none of my email apps seem to be able to deal with MIME. i dont know if my email apps from os9 did all i know is that ever since i switched i get garbled email messages that claim they are in MIME format. anyone else get these problems? i found little help on the net.

23. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

["The main reason I keep using Mail is because it looks great. I keep trying to find a replacement, but I'm addicted to a good UI and antialiased text. :)

Peter Lehrack [/B][/QUOTE]"

I agree with Peter. Mail is just really great looking, and as a designer that appeals to me a lot more than the avg. joe. Knowing us design types make up a pretty good chunk of the mac market, this is a good thing.

But then again, my mail needs are fairly simple.