Apple Overtakes Research in Motion in U.S. Smartphone Usage Share

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

comScore today released the results of its April survey of mobile phone usage in the United States, finding that Apple has nudged past Research in Motion to claim the second spot among smartphone platforms behind Android. According to the data, Android continues to widen its lead and now holds 36.4% of the market, while Apple's iOS holds 26.0% and Research in Motion's BlackBerry operating system has slipped to 25.7%.

When looking at mobile phone manufacturers overall, Apple is now the fourth most-popular vendor with 8.3% of the market, once again barely beating out Research in Motion.

comScore's surveys of over 30,000 mobile phone subscribers examine installed user base rather than quarterly sales as with many other sources. Consequently, comScore's data examines a slightly different metric that is slower to respond to shifts in sales trends. Apple passed Research in Motion in quarterly U.S. shipments late last year, but the BlackBerry maker's historical lead had enabled it to hold off Apple in installed user base share until recently.

Article Link: Apple Overtakes Research in Motion in U.S. Smartphone Usage Share
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2010
    I made the mistake one time of thinking I would enjoy a BlackBerry more than an iPhone. Boy was I wrong.
  3. Guest

May 13, 2010
    On Mars, thinking about my father...
    I guess I was wrong about the whole iPhone Fad going belly up
  4. macrumors 6502a

Apr 20, 2010
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I don't ever believe this because next week you will hear that Android will have more market share and blah blah blah it's always different.
    In my mind the iPhone is THE BEST smart phone.
  5. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    My significant other has a BlackBerry, I was not impressed.
  6. macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
  7. macrumors 68000

May 6, 2011
    I agree, but iOS is not the best mobile operating system.
  8. macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2010
    here and there
    The interesting news is that MS is still loosing market share .... Are the any number how much of the MS numbers are WinMob7 ?
  9. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2010

Yes, yes, we get it. iOS, Android, Win, Mac, Chevy, Ford, football, futball, yadda, yadda...
  10. macrumors 68000

Feb 4, 2010
    Interesting. And Nielson found during that same quarter that Android's U.S. share dropped from March to April. I realize there are different companies doing the measuring, and in this case Nielson is looking month-to-month instead of by quarter, so we'll have to see what happens the rest of the year. But I would not be surprised to see Android's growth soon slow if not stop.

Think about why Android suddenly gained popularity. Was there a groundswell of demand from average consumers for Android? Not really. Only geeks knew about Android. The average phone buyer goes into a shop and picks a phone based on what's available.

So what caused the very rapid ascent of Android over the last year or so? It's quite simple: All of the also-ran phone manufacturers switched from WinMobile or Symbian or whatever OS to the free Android OS. When you shift all of the other guys into one big Android slice, Android's market share jumps immediately. That is precisely what happened.

But what happens when they have already jumped to Android? Right. Market share levels off. There simply isn't a big consumer-led demand for Android. Again, the geeks demand it, but the average person barely knows what their phone runs.

This was simply a supply-side shift of the also-rans into a single segment of the pie. The shift is over. Thus the share level is starting to become static. No surprise. This is precisely what you would expect to see from a supply-side, rather than a demand-side, situation.

So look for a plateau stage next, and then the stage that follows is a decline in market share for Android as all those also-rans start to consolidate or drop out of the market because they cannot sufficiently differentiate from their me-too competition. Again, this won't be a surprise. Except among the Android supporters who think the whole world is yelling for Android.
  11. macrumors 68000

Jan 11, 2010
    The smart phone numbers are more important from an investors point of view.

The iphone basically destroyed Nokia and now Android phones are finishing the job. For some reason the poor performance of Nokia stock is spilling over onto RIM. Although there have been stories about their poor performance too. I guess since they have both had negative stories, investors back of both if they back off one.
  12. macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Daayyyyyaaaammm!!!! Android is KILLING IT!

My HTC G2 with Android 2.3 craps all over an iPhone. HAHA
  13. macrumors Pentium

Jan 28, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Did you look at the graphs in the summary ? We don't really have to wait to next week to hear about Android having more market share. ;)
  14. 0815, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2010
    here and there
    I agree and I love my iPhone.

But: Android also has a few great ones, but to many garbage ones and that blurs the whole Android Picture.
  15. macrumors 6502

Jun 23, 2010
    This is very shocking and amazing and super and all, but the real battle of paradigms is between Android and iOS. :rolleyes:
  16. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Nov 22, 2007
    Ask Apple
    Sounds like a resounding win for Android. Google increase in marketshare was 400% greater than was the increase for Apple.
  17. macrumors 603

Mar 20, 2007
    Nokia was never really a player in the US. Which is what the graphs are showing...
  18. macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2011
  19. macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

20. macrumors 604

Jul 29, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    But "losing" isn't so bad for a device vendor that is increasing both market share and total sales, as well as making more profit than any of the vendors selling the resounding "winners" devices.
  21. macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2006
    Let's see, Ballmer has one, but he only uses it as a phone. Gates was given one, but he hasn't activated it yet, and then the employees were all given one that they pretend to use when at work. Hmm, that's about it.;)
  22. macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    All this information tells me is that the smart phone market is heading to Google versus Apple just like the PC market is Apple versus Microsoft. In both PCs and smart phones there are some smaller players, but for the most part that is where things are headed.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2011
    And just like the PC wars Apple makes a great #2. I don't mean this as as slam either but having someone above them in marketshare keeps them hungry and innovating.
  24. macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2010
    That's an interesting post. I would have also added that the also-rans will find themselves split more and more between Android and Windows, decreasing the Android share even more, but it seems I'd be wrong. Is windows really doing that badly?
  25. macrumors 601

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    RIM is still doing very well. If Apple had come out with the Blackberry after RIM's had come up with the iPhone then Apple wouldn't even have 1% of the market. The ability that RIM has to sell Blackberry phones against better phones is amazing.