Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Parking service company Parkopedia today announced that it will begin to provide its enhanced and detailed parking information services directly within Apple Maps. With the partnership between the two companies, that means iOS users will be able to visit Apple Maps to discover more than 40 million parking spots in 75 countries across North America, Europe, Asia and Latin America.

The integration of Parkopedia into Apple Maps actually began in March inside of the United States, but today marks the official worldwide launch of the new resource. With the parking company's "rich information," Apple Maps users will be able to search for parking garages and lots, while reading about their location, payment type, number of spaces, and more. Future updates will allow users to filter search results, in order to discover the cheapest lots first, for example.

Slack-for-iOS-Upload-1-800x450.jpg

While reading through some Parkopedia information for a parking lot in Apple Maps, users will be able to follow a link to reserve a spot, although that process takes them out of Maps to complete the payment process on the Parkopedia website or within the company's iOS app [Direct Link]. "More detailed information" will also be available outside of Apple Maps and in Parkopedia itself, including pricing, user reviews, special offers and real-time space availability.
"We're excited to deliver detailed information on more than 40 million parking spaces in 75 countries to Apple Maps customers. This is a very important milestone for Parkopedia. Our combined footprint in the consumer and automotive space is huge and this opens the doors to delivering a world of innovative solutions," stated Parkopedia's Head of Marketing, Christina Onesirosan Martinez.
Apple Maps has been receiving steady updates to help bolster its navigation and research abilities for users visiting new cities, or simply trying to find new venues in their hometown. Among these changes coming in iOS 10 are new parked car notifications, which reminds users where they left their car -- especially when parking in large garages or lots -- with the help of a simple geo-locked icon within Apple Maps. Combined with Parkopedia's information catalog, this could help Apple get a leg up on its rivals in the GPS map app space.

Article Link: Apple Partners With Parkopedia to Bring In-Depth Parking Data to Apple Maps

Reactions: jjm3

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
'2012 : Google Maps >> Apple Maps... Apple spent 4 years to improve Apple Maps...
'2016 : Google Maps >>>> Apple Maps...

I actually think Google Maps has gotten worse and worse lately. It's way too bloated. The app used to launch instantly, now it shows a blank screen too long at first load. The slide-out menu from the left is very unintuitive. Google seems to be more interested in showing me ads than what I am actually looking for.

The only advantage that Google maps has, from a UI standpoint, is I like how the little blip on a map also shows the direction the phone is pointed in, presumably using the compass. Once Apple implements the same thing, I see no reason to keep the Google maps app.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
This I would look to leverage for when driving in the city. I hope Apple can fully implement it into their Maps app soon.

Reactions: HJM.NL

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
With the updates coming in iOS 10 won't going into the app from Apple maps be a thing of the past?

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013
I'm guessing when iOS 10 launches that Parkopedia will be integrated right into Maps without having to exit to get more information (done through extensions).

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Wait, doesn't Apple Maps do the same thing?
hidden-compass-header-750x400.jpg

Yes, it does, sort of. In this view, it also rotates the map which I don't like. It doesn't let you have one without the other. I want a north-up map, with a directional icon showing where I am and where I am looking.

It's really a minor point, I use Apple maps when navigating a city 95% of the time now.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
There are 253 million cars on the roads in the US. If Parkopedia has 40 million parking spots scattered across 75 countries, it would seem they've got a few more parking spots to catalog before this becomes useful.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The only advantage that Google maps has, from a UI standpoint, is I like how the little blip on a map also shows the direction the phone is pointed in, presumably using the compass. Once Apple implements the same thing, I see no reason to keep the Google maps app.

The only advantage? Google maps tends to get me where I'm trying to go better than Apple Maps which still (too often) fails to do that reliably. I keep trying the latter as it is the default. Sometimes I get where I'm trying to go. Other times I don't and have to fire up Google maps to get to the right place.

This "bad data" thing is fundamental... perhaps the most fundamental part of any mapping app. And it seems it's always "improving" but still always feels like it's a bit behind the accuracy of google maps data.

Flyover, now parking, etc is all cool- and pretty- but fundamentally, I most want to get to where I'm trying to go... and trust a mapping app to do that as often as possible. I'm sure this will be replied by 10 guys who will claim that Apple maps works every single time for them but that's (still) just not my own experience. While Google maps doesn't work 100% of the time either, it feels like it's right much more often (still) than Apple maps.

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Haven't used Parkopedia, but I have saved a ton of money using BestParking.com Hope the eventual functionality is similar.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
There are 253 million cars on the roads in the US. If Parkopedia has 40 million parking spots scattered across 75 countries, it would seem they've got a few more parking spots to catalog before this becomes useful.
Not really. I personally need help with a parking space no more than once or twice per year. The other times its an open lot at a store or my house which neither need an app. This will be for downtown visitors.

Reactions: Gasu E. and Ballis

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The only advantage? Google maps tends to get me where I'm trying to go better than Apple Maps which still (too often) fails to do that reliably. I keep trying the latter as it is the default. Sometimes I get where I'm trying to go. Other times I don't and have to fire up Google maps to get to the right place.

This "bad data" thing is fundamental... perhaps the most fundamental part of any mapping app. And it seems it's always "improving" but still always feels like it's a bit behind the accuracy of google maps data.

Flyover, now parking, etc is all cool- and pretty- but fundamentally, I most want to get to where I'm trying to go... and trust a mapping app to do that as often as possible. I'm sure this will be replied by 10 guys who will claim that Apple maps works every single time for them but that's (still) just not my own experience. While Google maps doesn't work 100% of the time either, it feels like it's right much more often (still) than Apple maps.

I agree bad data completely ruins a map app, and no other bells and whistles feature set can correct that. For driving, I think Waze is by far the best app anyway. For navigating city streets, by address, I need a fast and responsive app without any hidden slide-out buttons to delay me.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
When I'm going somewhere unfamiliar I like to study the map and get a good mental picture of the street layout and related details, rather than use the map while driving or relying on TBT directions. Because of this I've never really cared much about all the services that map providers seem intent on shoving in to their map apps. All I care about is if the streets are accurate, and Apple Maps has served me very well in that respect. Yet the one thing that I can never find no matter how much I study an area prior to a trip is parking service details. For that I either need experience on the ground there, or I need something to substitute for that experience.

I think with the addition of Parkopedia, Apple has added something to Maps that I personally consider useful. If the competition doesn't offer this, than I'm happy to say Apple has taken the lead in this category.

Reactions: Gasu E.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I actually think Google Maps has gotten worse and worse lately. It's way too bloated. The app used to launch instantly, now it shows a blank screen too long at first load. The slide-out menu from the left is very unintuitive. Google seems to be more interested in showing me ads than what I am actually looking for.

You're seeing ads in the Google Maps iOS app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.