Apple Partners with Labor Group to Monitor Workplace Conditions at Suppliers' Factories

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 13, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bloomberg reports that Apple has agreed to allow the Fair Labor Association (FLA) to access its suppliers' facilities to monitor workplace conditions in the wake of publicity surrounding worker suicides at Apple's primary manufacturing partner Foxconn.
    In the press release (PDF), Apple senior vice president Jeff Williams notes that Apple routinely performs audits of its suppliers' facilities but that the company is pleased to engage with the Fair Labor Association as an independent monitoring group.
    The FLA reports that it worked with Apple last year on the company's training programs regarding labor rights and worker standards, and that Apple will bring all of its workplace compliance standards in line with the FLA's guidelines over the next two years.

Article Link: Apple Partners with Labor Group to Monitor Workplace Conditions at Suppliers' Factories

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I don't know much about the FLA (nor know if they have any power to be effective), but it's a good touch on Apple's part.

4. macrumors newbie

5. macrumors 601

Cynically I'd say Apple know the rumours over awful working conditions are bad PR and so try to combat that rather than any heartfelt humanitarian concerns, but that being said:

Good move Apple.

6. macrumors 65816

It's about time. Quite frankly, the human rights conditions in these factories are worse than Darfur.

7. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

It doesn't seem to stop any other companies from ignoring complaints for years. Exxon? Nike? Gap? At least Apple audits places regularly and responds instead of waiting till it goes away.

8. macrumors 601

I think you chose not to read my last line…

9. macrumors 6502

Or maybe he read the cynical first one.

10. macrumors 6502

11. macrumors 68000

It was in the news elsewhere that workers threatened mass suicide (!) in Microsoft's Foxcon plant.

Can you imagine what would happen if there was a Jim Jones-like Kool-aid incident there? It would change everything.

12. macrumors 6502a

Who watches the watchers?

----------

I very much doubt that.

When it comes right down to it, almost none of us care enough to do anything but offer lip service, as we have demonstrated over and over again by ignoring the horrible things that already go on to get us our Oil and other goodies.

13. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

Right on the money.

14. macrumors G5

Macman45

I have to agree. The primary care of Foxconn employees lies with? Foxconn. Whilst I applaud the gesture, Foxconn's company policy is it's own concern.

Stopping depression in the younger generation is unlikely to be influenced by this decision either.

It's a fundamental flaw in Chinese Governence over which neither Apple, Foxconn or the LG have any control over whatsoever.

15. macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

The watch-makers.

16. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

No, it wouldn't. There are plenty of people willing to take these jobs who would be thrilled not to have to do manual labor in rice fields. These people who hate Foxconn's working conditions didn't have to irrigate crops for 30-40 years and see what REAL sore feet feel like. While I don't think a job there is great in any way, I definitely can say it's a step up from some of the rural options.

17. macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

Almost none of us really CAN do anything about it. Those with power aren't those who care.

18. macrumors 6502a

We elect those in power.

Nobody in a democracy can shirk personal responsibility.

If we wanted to, we could do something about this tomorrow. But in reality we don't really want to (and I include myself in this, I'm as "guilty" as everyone else).

19. macrumors 68030

Even if you want to blame the government (They are trying with their controversial one child policy), but what can anybody do if people make baby after baby, leading to over population?

After that the problems multiply accordingly.

20. macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

How can we fix problems overseas when we have plenty of problems here we need to work out? I applaud Apple for taking steps to rectify what they see is a problem, but I don't know that it is the responsibility of our government to get involved.

21. macrumors 6502

You can always vote with your wallet. If you are unhappy with how a certain company does its dealings, don't buy their stuff and educate others why they shouldn't do that either. And communicate with that company if you actually want to buy their stuff but can't due to them being immoral.

22. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

Your logic has a fatal flaw: what alternative companies provide better value and a better work environment for their employees? I'm all for being "moral" as long as I'm not being ripped off on a garbage product, and I don't see a lot of Apple's competitors setting up shop in comfortable plants with high pay, pensions, and perks.

23. macrumors 68000

GSPice

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

What a joke. Every dollar Apple pays the morally bankrupt FLA is a dollar that could have been spent improving and advancing it's technology. It's laughable how quickly people applaud what is essentially Apple paying off a fox to guard the hen house.

24. macrumors 68000

Quite frankly, you are quite full of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Darfur

One's a condition of overwork and stressful working conditions.

The other is war, starvation and genocide.

They aren't comparable, so stop trying.

Oh, and I downgraded you.

25. macrumors 6502

The first problem is that (in my opinion) no-one is making a similar product to the Mac so I cannot simply go to another vendor, since there is none :)

One way to solve the issue you are talking about is to do the work yourself then. If you can find part-providers which still produce their stuff in EU or US (maybe OWC? they seem to be very US-centric). Buy parts from them and put together the computer here. I'm not so well versed though in which parts manufacturers to choose, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't build a "only US" or "only EU" computer nowadays. Well, maybe some of the NANDs for example might be hard to come by.

But yes, I'm being idealistic now. As I said, that product would't be even close to the Mac. I do believe that Apple is making an ok job to try to make things good for the chinese workers and I hope that they will continue to try to make things decent for them. And yes, I would pay the eventual surplus for my machines if Apple would move their factories to democratic countries with good salaries, health politics and work conditions.