Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Apple patent was published today detailing a headset and communications platform that uses point-to-point network technology instead of cellular (via AppleInsider).

The application published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, called "Point-to-Point ad hoc voice communication", describes a headset invention capable of connecting with similar devices over local wireless ad hoc networks, or peer-to-peer links.

17016-14158-160526-Headset-l.jpg

The proposed headset comes with an assortment of audio hardware including the requisite microphone and speaker, and also features a communications module that enables it to interface with other headsets in close proximity.

17016-14160-160526-Headset-3-l.jpg

In some versions, the device connects via Lightning or standard headphone jack to a mobile device, allowing for the possibility of special interfacing software. The use of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or similar protocols are favored over typical cellular or satellite communications, allowing for extremely low latency communications and reduced delay between devices in close proximity.

17016-14159-160526-Headset-2-l.jpg

The exhaustively detailed patent was drafted by a former Sennheiser engineer, and amounts to what could be described as an enhanced walkie-talkie system with touch-enabled, icon-based GUI for establishing connections between peers.

As with all patents, the invention may never see the light of day in any consumer product, but the device does hold interesting possibilities for use by Apple Store staff or between development teams in Apple headquarters.

Article Link: Apple Patent Details Smart Walkie-Talkie Lightning Headphones

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Good for junior and senior classroom, maybe good for university classroom as well.
But, why Apple don't use this technology plus NFC to enhance Apple ecosystem capability? Like downloading only one photo from iCloud into one device, and all other devices intelligently sense this action and download then from that device, rather from iCloud again?

Reactions: rmatthewware

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Could be good for warehouses etc. Assuming everyone would have to have an iPhone in their pocket though, which would be expensive and not ideal.
Google version: Have a great day team. [Plays advertisement]
In by the third comment. Bravo.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Cool idea. Hope we'll see it one day in the real world.

Something like iOS users' social network with profiles, search, messages, proximity search and such walkie-talkie feature and everything else could be hugely popular instead of a billion of various services.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I see this as more for commercial use than consumer. Lots of large box stores would find this useful

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I could see this in the theatre where stage crews have to communicate, walking tours, or anywhere really, where intercom communication is desired.
I'm a bit more inclined to agree with Sam. Might be good for their stores, but outside of that I can't see the practicality of it. 1. It's lightning - proprietary. There's a ton of standard communication options available and in use that would be far more practical and cost effective. 2. Proximity - If there's a need to be fairly close, as with wifi/BT, what's the point? 3. Cost - The patent didn't specify, but my assumption is the headset would connect to an iPhone. If that's the case, what would be the logic behind deploying iPhones + the headset when more cost effective and efficient systems already exist?

Somebody help me here. Can someone come up with a scenario where this would be better than anything already out there?

This patent is definitely not going to meet India's definition of "cutting edge" technology.:D

Dissonance

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
Boston, MA
I run a music technology classroom and if this is capable of handling 30 or more members at a time, it will be amazing. My current audio network requires CAT5 cabling between all stations and interface hardware at every station (Korg GEC3).

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Construction sites could use this. Sometimes there's a team effort across several floors doing, for instance, electrical work. They'll be able to ask each other questions on the fly.

Xtremjeepn

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2014
Not new at all. They've had the exact same thing for motorcycle helmets for years, complete with app and ride-up social features.
http://cardosystems.com/portfolio-item/packtalk-2/
http://www.sena.com/product/20s/

I've loved my Bluetooth headset for the motorcycle, but this is a bit different.

This sounds like it would allow anyone anywhere with a compatible phone to join in on a group conversation or team project. Lots of possabiloties here, including replacing the not always compatible motorcycle systems.

Pilsbury1981

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
UK
I could see this in the theatre where stage crews have to communicate, walking tours, or anywhere really, where intercom communication is desired.
[doublepost=1464365837][/doublepost]

How about with automatic translation built in?

Reactions: TheRealTVGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.