Apple Patent Watch: Offline iTunes Store Purchases, Proximity-Based Media Transfer Between Devices

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Among Apple's granted patents released today, AppleInsider has noted a pair of inventions that appear to be of some interest. The first patent addresses the idea of offline iTunes Store purchases from mobile devices, allowing users to store "credit" that can unlock content already on their devices but not yet owned by the user.
    The difficult part of this scenario involves getting the content onto the user's device, and Apple's patent addresses several methods, including manual loading of files either from the Internet before going offline or from other storage devices. Alternatively, the user's device could automatically pre-download content based on Genius-like recommendations or other criteria and offer the content for on-device purchase.

While Wi-Fi hotspots have become increasingly common to allow iPod touch or Wi-Fi iPad owners to connect to the Internet with some level of regularity, it appears that Apple is still interested in exploring ways to allow users to unlock new media content even when not connected to the Internet.

The second patent describes a proximity-based method for transferring files between devices, such as a computer and a mobile device. While a number of existing solutions such as Bump and Samsung's S Beam allow for such actions, Apple's patent includes a contextual aspect that allows for very specific transfer scenarios to simplify the user experience.

In one simple example outlined by Apple, a user composing an email on his or her Mac wishes to add an image from their phone. Under the proposed method, the user could select the insertion location in the email, use a contextual menu to invoke an insertion option, bring up the desired image on their phone, and then bring the phone in close proximity to the Mac.

Using a combination of proximity and communication technologies such as Bluetooth, near field communication (NFC) technology, Wi-Fi, and or a webcam, the image could then be automatically and wirelessly transferred to the computer and inserted into the email at the proper location.

Article Link: Apple Patent Watch: Offline iTunes Store Purchases, Proximity-Based Media Transfer Between Devices
  2. macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2006
    SLC, Utah
    That proximity-based transfer would come in handy for a smartwatch.
  3. macrumors regular

Jun 8, 2010
    Maybe I could draw a new Mac Pro? Would that get it sorted quicker??
  4. macrumors G3

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm seeing a touch of Lala here. That service had a lower price streaming from web scheme. This version would be a free or low price load for offline listening perhaps with a track limit, days limit, device limit or all three. Say like for free you can download up to 20 tracks to a single device and have them for 14 days. Rather like the Lala one time full play feature once you have offlined a track you can't again off that Apple ID ever or at least for like 90 days or something.

But if you really like the song and want to make it permanent you can buy it. To make it easier you can do the buy offline that way you don't forget before the 14 days is up and the next time you go online the system updates your account.
  5. macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    Bay Area, California
  6. macrumors 601

Jul 11, 2008
  7. macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2013
    Doesn't "Bump" already do the proximity thing?
  8. macrumors 68020

Nov 17, 2012
    First patent: offline gift card
    Second patent: Apple, you're a little late...
  9. macrumors member

May 29, 2012
  10. macrumors 68020

Nov 17, 2012
    Way too many Mac Pro comments around here...
  11. macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    I count ONE Mac Pro comment.

Too many for you???:confused:
  12. babyj, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    How is any of that patentable? They're just specific use cases based on ideas and technologies that already exist and are already in use.
  13. macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2009
    This might be nice for purchasing content too large to immediatly download on cellular networks.
  14. macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    That offline purchase idea could be used all over the iPhone even when connected to the Internet to allow instantaneous downloads. App Updates could be pre downloaded when you're connected to Wifi so that all that happens when you tap update is it swaps the locations of the old and new versions (meaning it could also also allow you to revert to prior versions if new versions have bugs.)

In fact, that's a key idea in an app I'm making right now.
  15. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Mar 20, 2004
    Not far from Boston, MA.
    Yours makes three.
  16. Editor emeritus

Jul 10, 2003
    Falls Church, VA
    proximity based transfer of content... sounds novel

Samsung S Beam

oh, wait.
  17. macrumors 68000

Dec 29, 2006
    No, a future iDevice will have tons of storage and will hold the entire iTunes catalogue. Then, wherever you are you can buy a tune, which essentially activates one that is already there. Whenever you do wander over near WiFi the cloud downloads any new tunes, etc. so that your device will always be filled with the latest and greatest.

I patent that, but only if somebody else patents teeny mass storage.

Or, wait, the proximity transfer purchased iTunes easily from one iDevice to another. Kids will really, really like hand-me-down music from their parents...and can more easily pass around nekkid photos of their classmates.
  18. macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2013
    Holographic postage stamp as storage that holds 1^10^10000 PB

I patent that
  19. Plutonius, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2003
    New Hampshire
    I believe he's referring to the entire MacRumors forums. People are posting complaining about a lack of a new Mac Pro even in threads that have nothing remotely to do with a Mac Pro. At least the "Safari is snappier" post can sometimes be humorous and can fit into most threads subject. The Mac Pro post are just sad when people post them for the sake of posting them.

As far as the original topic that we should be discussing, I agree that this patent technology would work well for an iWatch.
  20. macrumors member

Sep 17, 2007
    Woodside, CA
    Yeah, you know, the thing that was mentioned in the article?
  21. macrumors regular

Sep 29, 2011
    Take genius out of the ecosystem please. Match and everything else would be so much better.
  22. macrumors member

Nov 17, 2010
    In the Land of the Evil Empire(TM)
    Idea for Limited Space

So I'm running low on room on my iPhone. Let me buy a movie, for example, and set it to download to my laptop and not my iPhone.

Now THAT would be a great idea :)
  23. macrumors 68020

Nov 17, 2012
    I count 10 of your comments on 9 of my threads -_-
  24. macrumors 68000

Mar 28, 2013
    This is looking good, smells like innovation.
  25. macrumors 601

Oct 1, 2010
    Well, lets turn these patents into products I can use :)