Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applepayhero-250x365.jpg
During the first 72 hours that Apple Pay was available, Apple saw more than one million credit and debit card activations, according to Apple CEO Tim Cook who took the stage today at the WSJ.D conference in Laguna Beach, California.

Cook himself told the audience that he used Apple Pay himself at Whole Foods after the service launched, commenting on how easy it was. "You're no longer fishing for your credit card," he said. "It's the first mobile payments system that's easy, secure, and private."

According to Cook, the early ramp of Apple Pay "looks fantastic," and though it's only been available for a short time, Apple Pay accounts for more mobile wallets in the U.S, than all other mobile payment options combined.

During the interview, Cook commented on CVS, Rite Aid, and other retailers' decisions to opt out of Apple Pay, saying that "over the long arc of time" retailers will need to do what shoppers want. Ahead of launching Apple Pay, Cook says Apple looked at multiple other payment solutions available on the market and didn't find any of them to be easier than using a wallet.

Retailers, he believes, will ultimately adopt Apple Pay because it's the more secure option, able to prevent fraud incidents like the breaches experienced by Target, Home Depot, Staples, and more, in recent months. Cook reiterated that Apple Pay is secure and that Apple is not collecting data on its customers. "We're not big brother. We'll leave that to others."

Cook also commented on Apple's wider privacy policy, saying "Your data is yours" and reiterating that Apple is not in the business of monitoring its users. Apple does not keep iMessage data or retain search history.

"If law enforcement wants something, they should go to the user to get it," he said. According to Cook, it is up to users, not Apple, to choose whether or not it's okay for the government to access their data. "We're designing a Fort Knox kind of thing."

During the interview, Cook also spoke on the Apple Watch, stating that he expects users to will need to charge it on a daily basis, and he commented on the iPod classic, revealing that the company could no longer source parts for the device. An official rough transcript of Cook's comments during the interview can be found over at The Wall Street Journal.

Article Link: Apple Had More Than 1 Million Card Activations During First 72 Hours of Apple Pay

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
1 million potential customers for RiteAid and CVS! Oh wait...

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I wonder how many of those were cards from the same person, though. I'd be interested to see how many *people* added cards.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
And that's only with banks that have activated their service.. Many more to come

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I wonder how many of those were cards from the same person, though. I'd be interested to see how many *people* added cards.

Yeah, I activated 4 cards myself.

Though not a lot of people has 4 cards, 1 million card activations during first 72 hours that only works for iPhone 6/6+ in the country that NFC payment is a rare thing is still pretty amazing.

In UK or Australia, the adoption rate would be much higher.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011

I expected to add only a couple of cards.

But since Wells Fargo is offering a credit the first time I use it with an account, I expect to add up to 6 cards from that bank alone (3 debit, 3 credit) - at least temporarily.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Though not a lot of people has 4 cards, 1 million card activations during first 72 hours that only works for iPhone 6/6+ in the country that NFC payment is a rare thing is still pretty amazing.

In UK or Australia, the adoption rate would be much higher.

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to minimise it or anything. Just curious about how many people are interested in using it :)

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I added two of my three cards, the other one was not supported. I received an AmEx gift card that I was hoping I could add as well, since it's essentially a debit card, but no luck.

I drove by the Chevron gas station to fill up today, since they're an official Apple Pay launch partner, but the NFC doesn't work at the pump. Presumably you could pay if you go inside, but ain't nobody got time for dat. So, to date I have only used Apple Pay at Whole Foods and an Apple Store. Here's hoping more place come online because opportunities to use it are pretty sparse as of now.

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
Only 1 million?

I think 1 million is a lot less than what I expected.

I mean think of how many people bought iPhone 6 and 6+.

Apple even had more than couple millions of preorder within 24hr. That's a quite disappointing result when we factor in that each person who used ApplePay probably activated more than 1 card.(3cards for me)

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
This number will change drastically if they include Canada/UK/Australia in the initial launch and myself I'd like have this feature because I don't like the to carry a wallet and a phone. (wallet case is still my favorite case since I actually own one *iPhone 4*)

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

True, though I didn't expect that much. But remember :apple: only rolls :apple:Pay in USA (for now) and 1 million activation is still more than the whole lots of other active NFC (in USA) combined.

Mr Hands

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2014
I expected to add only a couple of cards.

But since Wells Fargo is offering a credit the first time I use it with an account, I expect to add up to 6 cards from that bank alone (3 debit, 3 credit) - at least temporarily.

Jesus Christ...why do you have so many??

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Hmm once I have the iPhone 6 I guess I will be activating 1..2..3..4..5 cards on it.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Alibaba is in talks to sign up with ApplePay!

----------

Apple even had more than couple millions of preorder within 24hr. That's a quite disappointing result when we factor in that each person who used ApplePay probably activated more than 1 card.(3cards for me)

1million in 72 hours. Not everyone rushes to add their CC and update to iOS 8.1 right away.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I just want my damn iPhone 6 already! Verizon business has been terrible to work with. I'm leaving from sprint to Verizon for good coverage and bad customer service.

/end rant.. Sorry I just want my iPhone already! Apple pay looks awesome.

----------

Jesus Christ...why do you have so many??

I know for me and many others, different cards have different perks. Use whatever card is going to give you back the most rewards for that purchase.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

The problem is the lack of support from the non-big banks. I left them for the most part because of crazy fees and bad interest rates. But my credit union isn't on any list of current supporters or future supporters, and the Barclaycard Visa I have isn't ready to use on it yet. Neither is my Target credit card, which likely won't happen for at least a year when maybe that CurrentC thing will die.

So just imagine the adoption rate if there weren't so many hoops to jump through. iPhone 6/6 Plus, credit card, bank, store. That's a lot to thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.