Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Pay-250x434-1-copy-250x377.jpg
Apple Pay is now available at more than 2 million retail locations, with merchants such as Crate & Barrel, Chick-fil-A and Au Bon Pain set to accept the system in stores imminently, reports The Business Times.

Online clothing retailer Zappos.com also added Apple Pay to its iPhone and iPad apps on Tuesday, following a number of requests from customers to use the feature.

The announcement by Apple comes alongside news that the mobile payment service exceeded the company's goal to make it available at 1.5 million locations by the end of 2015. In-app purchases using the service also more than doubled in the last six months of 2015 compared with the first half, says the company.

Despite the upbeat announcement, Apple still has work to convince U.S. customers to use Apple Pay at retail stores. According to a survey by consumer researcher Pymnts and InfoScout, 16.6 percent of people who own newer iPhones tried Apple Pay in October, an increase from 9 percent in November 2014.

Apple Pay is set to expand to China early this year, making it the fifth country to adopt the payments service since its U.S. launch in October 2014. The service expanded to the United Kingdom in July 2015, followed by Australia and Canada last November in partnership with American Express. Hong Kong, Singapore and Spain are also expected to gain support later this year.

Article Link: Apple Pay Coming Soon to Crate & Barrel, Chick-fil-A and Au Bon Pain

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
And SamsungPay is accepted everywhere you can swipe a credit card (i.e. EVERYWHERE)

Sorry, but Samsung won this round Apple, next -->

EDIT: Just wanted to add the source:

http://money.cnn.com/infographic/technology/mobile-payment-comparison/

Both Apple Pay and Samsung pay have NFC, yes, but as it says for Samsung: At old card machines, uses MST (magnetic fields)

Last edited:

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I guess, if you believe that only the U.S. is the world.

EDIT: That didn't take long to change the headline ... eliminating the term " worldwide "

Last edited:
Reactions: big-ted

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
So...a more relevant stat would be how often Apple pay has been used at those locations against other payment methods.

It annoys me they use "worldwide". It's not available worldwide. In fact, it's not available in most of Europe.

As others have said. Moving on.....

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
And SamsungPay is accepted everywhere you can swipe a credit card (i.e. EVERYWHERE)

That's utter nonsense. It's accepted anywhere that has an NFC reader. If there is no NFC reader on a unit, it won't magically take Samsung Pay. Same for Apple Pay, it works anywhere with an NFC reader even if the store doesn't "officially" accept it. At my work we have a Square unit that accepts it and a sticker on our door, I highly doubt we're included in that 2 million figure. Same for my barbershop that now accepts Apple Pay. The 2 million figure is only covering Apple's major partners.

If you tried to use Samsung pay at our store before we upgraded to an NFC unit, you would have looked like a moron because it wouldn't have worked. No such thing as magic, and the latest Samsung Pay commercial at Katz's deli is very misleading.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
That's utter nonsense. It's accepted anywhere that has an NFC reader. If there is no NFC reader on a unit, it won't magically take Samsung Pay. Same for Apple Pay, it works anywhere with an NFC reader even if the store doesn't "officially" accept it. At my work we have a Square unit that accepts it and a sticker on our door, I highly doubt we're included in that 2 million figure. Same for my barbershop that now accepts Apple Pay. The 2 million figure is only covering Apple's major partners.

If you tried to use Samsung pay at our store before we upgraded to an NFC unit, you would have looked like a moron because it wouldn't have worked. No such thing as magic, and the latest Samsung Pay commercial at Katz's deli is very misleading.

SamsungPay is suppose to emit a signal that mimics what a regular swipe machine would interpret as a card being swiped. That is the way it works everywhere.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
SamsungPay is suppose to emit a signal that mimics what a regular swipe machine would interpret as a card being swiped. That is the way it works everywhere.
Does it pass the card number and information in that signal? If not, that is pretty nice.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011

Well ApplePay is accepted in most terminals that accept NFC payments. That said it also depends if your bank or credit card supports it. That said it also depends if the merchant will allow their terminal to accept the credit card that your ApplePay is connected to. My corner grocery store has NFC payment, BUT since I use Amex on my ApplePay and my banks don't support it yet I have to use Amex. The grocery store will take Amex but only by chip insertion not tapping.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Interesting. That doesn't sound very secure. I've also read that barely any cards are supported on Samsung pay. And also after some further reading, I noticed it doesn't work on any machine where the card needs to actually be inserted into it like an ATM or gas pump. It's pretty messy.

Chances are if a small store has an old credit card machine it's behind the counter and they're not going to let you go behind the counter and rub your phone on it. And on the Gear S2 it only works via NFC, so they're fracturing Samsung pay already.

StuB

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007

Possibly not, Samsung Pay is supposed to be able to work with the magnetic swipe readers by mimicking the magnetic strip using a pulse to the reader:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/13/9146965/samsung-pay-mobile-payment-credit-card-readers-date

"The trick comes thanks to a tiny coil that shoots out the same magnetic code that those readers normally get from your credit card. It's called "Magnetic Secure Transmission," or MST; it's built into the Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+, and Note 5. As with other mobile wallets, Samsung Pay can also let you pay with NFC and it will store loyalty cards and gift cards."

StuB

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
Does it pass the card number and information in that signal? If not, that is pretty nice.

Apparently it uses tokenisaton, so pretty secure:

"Even though it's transmitting via a magnet, Samsung Pay seems to be set up to maintain security. It uses tokenization, which means that your actual credit card isn't sent, instead it uses a temporary one that Visa or Mastercard creates for you."

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting. That doesn't sound very secure. I've also read that barely any cards are supported on Samsung pay. And also after some further reading, I noticed it doesn't work on any machine where the card needs to actually be inserted into it like an ATM or gas pump. It's pretty messy.

Chances are if a small store has an old credit card machine it's behind the counter and they're not going to let you go behind the counter and rub your phone on it. And on the Gear S2 it only works via NFC, so they're fracturing Samsung pay already.
How does Samsung Pay work with chip cards at places where you no longer swipe but insert the card at the bottom?

Reactions: richhh and Jason83

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I still think you should be able to use Apple Pay without having a password set up on your iPhone. I prefer not to use a passcode for unlock. I don't see why it is set up this way, an unwanted user would still need your fingerprint to make a purchase, or your passcode to make any changes in settings.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012

Is Samsung Loop Pay tokenized? If not the user is the loser if they pay on a comprimised POS device just as if they swiped a mag stripe card.

Reactions: Jason83

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
And also after some further reading, I noticed it doesn't work on any machine where the card needs to actually be inserted into it like an ATM or gas pump.

It doesn't, basically it simulates a magnetic strip by creating a magnetic "tube" a few inches from the device, then sends the mag strip data through that tube, and with the phone in the correct orientation and proximity, the mag strip mechanism is able to read that stream of bits, like you're swiping a physical magnetic strip on a card.

We couldn't get my buddy's to work on a traditional mag reader type CC machine (vendor in an airport), don't know if the reader wasn't attenuated just right, or the position/orientation we couldn't get sorted, but it was a no go.

FWIW, the tech was developed by LoopPay, they were acquired (or just the tech[?]) by Samsung

How does Samsung Pay work with chip cards at places where you no longer swipe but insert the card at the bottom?

I'd assume that's a no-can-do, the tech is specifically to simulate a magnetic strip on a card, and "smart cards" I believe require near/absolute contact, and have a notably different implementation.

Here we go (from LoopPay):

Does LoopPay support Chip and PIN (EMV) cards?

Yes. You can add chip cards to your LoopPay account today and use them at mag stripe readers (MSR) just like any other payment card. However, if the merchant POS terminal is configured to accept EMV cards, you will be instructed to use the physical card to make the transaction via the chip and PIN card reader. LoopPay will soon be announcing a solution that will address this inconvenience.

Bold is the relevant part, obviously if there's a combo that uses mag strip it'll work, but if it requires EMV, you have to pull out your card.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Another thought I have always had... If Apple would just bite the bullet and keep their hand out of the cookie jar on things like Apple Pay, I feel like they would take off much more quickly and be more widespread. I think a lot of retailers chose not to go with Apple Pay because of Apple's cut of every transaction scared them off. I understand why they do it from a business perspective, but I feel like it could've been a bigger, more revolutionary thing.

Reactions: jayducharme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.