Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Pay-250x434.png
Apple has updated its Apple Pay participating issuers list with 40 additional banks, credit unions and financial institutions supporting the contactless payment service in the United States. Apple Pay now has nearly 800 participating issuers nationwide, and several more plan to support the NFC-based mobile payment service in the future.

The newly added Apple Pay participating issuers are reflected below, although it's worth noting that some banks, credit unions and financial institutions listed may have already had support for the contactless payments service and are only now being reflected on Apple's website.

The full list of new Apple Pay participating issuers:
American Heritage Federal Credit Union
Associated Credit Union
Bangor Savings Bank
Bank of Bourbonnais
Bank of Clovis
Bank of the Pacific
Baton Rouge Telco Federal Credit Union
BHCU
Cardinal Bank
Corning Credit Union
First Financial Credit Union (IL)
First National Bank of Trenton
First Nations Bank
First Republic Bank
Flint Area School Employees Credit Union
Glass City Federal Credit Union
Guaranty Bank and Trust Company
Hawthorn Bank
Hills Bank and Trust Company
Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union
Leader Bank, N.A.
Michigan Tech Employees Federal Credit Union
Midcoast Federal Credit Union
Oatworth Capital Bank
Ohio Valley Bank
Partnership Financial Credit Union
Penn Liberty Bank
Police and Fire Federal Credit Union
Prime Merdian Bank
Reading Cooperative Bank
Republic Bank
Section 705 Federal Credit Union
Secured Advantage Federal Credit Union
Southern Bank
Southwest Missouri Bank
TowneBank
West Plains Bank and Trust Company
WesTex Federal Credit Union
Wilmington Savings Fund Society
WSFS Bank
Apple is committed to an international expansion of Apple Pay, having launched the mobile payments service in Australia and Canada last month in partnership with American Express. Apple Pay is also coming to Hong Kong, Singapore and Spain in 2016, and is rumored to launch in China by February 2016.

On the merchant side, Cinnabon, Chili's, Domino's, KFC and Starbucks will support Apple Pay in the U.S. starting in 2016.

Article Link: Apple Pay Gains 40 New Participating U.S. Issuers

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I long for the day when I see RBC, TD Canada Trust, CIBC, BMO, Scotia Bank, etc on that list.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying Apple Pay with my Amex at more stores than I thought possible.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
My sentiments exactly. It's not even a small town bank. What the hell is taking them so long to wake up?

If they weren't my secondary bank, I'd be more frustrated but I know a lot of people use them as their main bank. Not sure why they don't want to implement it.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
My sentiments exactly. It's not even a small town bank. What the hell is taking them so long to wake up?

Funny that you say that - a lot of "small town banks" are actually jumping onto the Apple Pay bandwagon quicker than a lot of the big banks. My bank, a regional bank with about 15 branches, adopted Apple Pay within 6 months of launch.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
I have five cards in my wallet. After today's update, I now have four of them in Apple Pay. The only one that isn't yet... Ally.

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
People in other countries must think American's are mentally slow (and yes, I'm American).

We sit there and go, "whoa that's cool!!" to phone payments and contact-less card payments (with the total of ONE card issuer that hands out contact-less cards, HSBC).

We then sit there and swipe the card without thinking, "gee why are we still doing this when every other country uses chip technology everywhere?"

Laziness and stupidity.

----------------------------------------------

Speaking of Apple Pay, where are the additional merchants? The transfer from swipe to chip & contact-less shouldn't move at such a snail's pace.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I long for the day when I see RBC, TD Canada Trust, CIBC, BMO, Scotia Bank, etc on that list.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying Apple Pay with my Amex at more stores than I thought possible.

I just got my AMEX in the mail and added to my iPhone and Apple Watch.

How do you tell the cashier that you want to pay? Do you say: Credit Card? American Express? ApplePay?

I'm in Toronto and I've been asking different stores where I shop and a good majority of them do say they accept AMEX. Have you encountered many places where American Express is accepted but not via tap?

MrRevelation

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Great, no mention of any Dutch banks, like ING, ABN Amro, Rabobank, Aegon. I guess the Netherlands are no priority at all given the tiny number of 17 million hungry consumers.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Wake me when more Merchants add Apple Pay.....

Same thoughts here. It's been weeks since I've last used it. How about focus on more stores/more places. And you must get the big players like Target and Walmart in the loop.
What's funny is that Samsung pay actually works almost everywhere but only a small number of banks are supported. Complete opposite of what's going on with Apple.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
There is already enough support among banks/CUs. What we need are more retailers to accept :apple:Pay.
At the least I should be able to buy my groceries with my phone.
Unfortunately I think Publix is part of that CurrentC crap or whatever it's called. :mad:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
"On the merchant side, Cinnabon, Chili's, Domino's, KFC and Starbucks will support Apple Pay in the U.S. starting in 2016."

Ugh. Here in the U.S. adding merchants is the key and 5 food vendors isn't what we need (although any additions are good...). Many of the merchants that turned off NFC payments after Apple Pay rolled out here still haven't turned them back on.

I should add that Jewel Osco (big grocer / pharmacy in the Chicago area) did add ApplePay and I didn't realize it till I just searched...their pinpads don't say anything about NFC and I missed it...will be using that going forward. I'm really down to the big retailers who are holdouts (Target, Walmart, Home Depot etc. and Meijer which does support it is a great alternative to Target that I have access to).

Frankly the whole experience of using Chip cards and the time the user goes through as you wait for them to process and then remove them is a wonderful opportunity (TV commercial opportunity doesn't get any better) for Apple Pay which is basically instant.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I tried ApplePay at a restaurant that accepts both AMEX and tap. "Card not recognized". Darn.
Nonetheless, my dinner companion and the waitress were impressed that the device recognized my iPhone at all.

EDIT: I went to Shoppers Drugmart that has for weeks said they support both AMEX and tap payments and it didn't work. I'm starting to lose faith in ApplePay via AMEX — at least in the short term. They need to really start rolling out compatible retailers. Getting Shoppers on board would be a huge boost to ApplePay since it's one of the top retailers in the country. Some people on here have said that they've gotten ApplePay accepted there. I went to a fairly new store that should have the latest terminals and it didn't work. In fact, when I asked to pay with American Express, the terminal said Swipe/Insert card. No tap.

EDIT 2: I called AMEX and they said that it's likely that the terminal isn't set up to accept American Express tap. They said that they're making a big push to get *all* AMEX accepting retailers compatible with tap. Moneris is also updating their terminals to accept ApplePay so the rollout should be pretty quick. They also said that there has been a spike in retailers wanting to sign up for American Express because of customer inquiries. So keep asking to pay with Apple Pay/American Express and retailers will see the demand to join.

Last edited:

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
They said that they're making a big push to get *all* AMEX accepting retailers compatible with tap.
Some of these retailers are either lazy or just won't take the time to set up their terminals correctly. I think the only way that the financial institutions are going to be able to force this is to remove the mag strip from the cards. I believe that I read something somewhere that said that starting in 2016, all merchants were supposed to have the new terminals, and they are supposed to be set up for tap/nfc.

The financial institutions have spent a lot of money over the last year reissuing cards with the chip tech., to help prevent fraud, and I don't think that they are gonna let some of these lazy retailers get by with this much longer.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Some cards here in Canada already come without a mag strip. Chip and PIN has been mandatory for quite some time.

So far, I've only been able to use ApplePay at stores that American Express and Apple has listed as compatible. However, some people have said that ApplePay has worked at Shoppers Drugmart. It didn't work for me. When they selected AMEX, the terminal didn't even allow tap. It said insert or swipe card.

Until ApplePay is on VISA/MasterCard or debit, the acceptance rollout here is going to be painfully long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.