Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay is expected to expand to its third market this week, launching in Canada this Tuesday, November, 17, reports iPhone in Canada. As previously announced, Apple Pay will be launching through an exclusive partnership with American Express, initially limiting the reach of Apple's payments service in the country.

amex_apple_pay.jpg

According to American Express, the service is set to launch this Tuesday, November 17, 2015. Customer service representatives we spoke with confirmed the date over the phone numerous times, and is in line with what you've told us as well.
As reported by The Globe and Mail last month, sources indicate Apple partnered with American Express in order to expedite the Apple Pay launch in the country, as discussions with the major Canadian banks and other credit card companies had been "dragging."

Beyond Canada, Apple is also partnering with American Express to bring Apple Pay to Australia by the end of the year and to Spain, Singapore, and Hong Kong next year. Apple Pay launched in the United States alongside iOS 8 in September 2014 and expanded to the United Kingdom in July of this year.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launching in Canada With American Express on November 17

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
So does that mean 9.2 final is shipping on Tuesday? If so, what a shame.. I wanted to see even more optimization be done...

Really hoping I'm wrong.

Happy for those who will now have Apple Pay though :)

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I was in Toronto earlier this year and used Apple Pay every where I went, 90% of places accepted it, I guess it wasn't avail for Canadians

Yup, because you must have had an American Bank's credit card. American Express isn't that popular but if consumers start opening accounts with American Express to use Apple Pay, then Banks will feel the sting.

Does anyone know what the payment terms are for Apple Pay for the banks?

Reactions: patjem

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Can someone explain why Apple Pay can't just be a solution that works anywhere where contactless nfc payments are accepted other than wanting to be in control of the process? Not being snide or a "hater", asking seriously.

nickmcpherson97

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yup, because you must have had an American Bank's credit card. American Express isn't that popular but if consumers start opening accounts with American Express to use Apple Pay, then Banks will feel the sting.

Does anyone know what the payment terms are for Apple Pay for the banks?
I heard something like $1 for every $100 spent. I've read some where that apple's cut into the processing fee was too much for the banks to deal with as it would cut into their profits

nickmcpherson97

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Can someone explain why Apple Pay can't just be a solution that works anywhere where contactless nfc payments are accepted other than wanting to be in control of the process? Not being snide or a "hater", asking seriously.
The banks make most of their profits from the transaction fees that merchants pay when you use debit/credit. Since Apple acts as a messenger here, they want to take a cut from that fee and the banks don't like that because that means they wouldn't make as much money. It has nothing to do with lack of tech (most places have had the tech for a while)

macaximx

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
The banks make most of their profits from the transaction fees that merchants pay when you use debit/credit. Since Apple acts as a messenger here, they want to take a cut from that fee and the banks don't like that because that means they wouldn't make as much money. It has nothing to do with lack of tech (most places have had the tech for a while)
However Amex contactless payment terminals are lacking in Canada. Here's to hoping Pay opens up Amex to the terminals in stores via a different exchange method.

Reactions: V.K.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I heard something like $1 for every $100 spent. I've read some where that apple's cut into the processing fee was too much for the banks to deal with as it would cut into their profits

As most credit cards companies in Canada use NFC in there cards, other than security (which would reduce costs for the CC companies), what does Apple bring to the table for them? Yes convenience for customers but banks don't care about that too much.

I wonder if the reduction in profit is offset by the reduced costs of fraud. If I lose my credit card with tap, anyone could use it and that must happen lots.

Reactions: d656

ak37

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015

I think they need cooperation from the banks as it is their merchant terminals that are used in each store. The banks in Australia and Apple cannot come to an agreement on interchange fees.

http://origin-www.afr.com/p/tech-ga...y_not_fly_in_australia_CkLRrKSyjSBsxpKmHrkQEK

I have applied for an Amex.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Meh, no use for Amex here... Wake me up when Apple pay comes to regular bank issued cards and debit cards...

Which is probably not anytime soon...

Reactions: Lukkee24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.