Apple Pay Could See Slow Rollout in France Later This Year

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 26, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new report from French newspaper Les Echos (via iPhon.fr) [Google Translate] states that apple pay will be making its way to France by the end of the year. The introduction of Apple's mobile payment solution will be a gradual rollout, with "a small handful of major French banks" supporting the service in a pilot program period of three to five months.

[​IMG]

No specific date was given for the start of the rollout, but the pilot program is rumored to launch by September. The current state of negotiations between Apple and French banks is said to be paused at the issue of the transaction amount for each time a user pays with Apple Pay. A traditional payment with a debit card generates 9 cents for the partnering financial institution, with Apple's current deal taking 5 cents per transaction, "more than half of the average income." Some of the French banks see hope for an agreement to be reached by pointing to Apple's agreement with banks in China.
    Last week rumors about Apple Pay's expansion to France began with reports pointing to an official announcement by the company in the first half of 2016. Shortly thereafter, the service launched in China through a partnership with Union Pay. Including China, Apple Pay is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia, with Hong Kong, Singapore, and Spain expected to launch by the end of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Pay Could See Slow Rollout in France Later This Year

2. ghost187
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

ghost187

Apple should have bought loop pay before Samsung. You either leave your credit card at home or you don't. Until that happens, it's a cool proof of concept that admittedly works more efficiently once in a perfect world scenario.

3. jmh600cbr
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

4. kdarling, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

kdarling
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    That doesn't sound right for debit. For debit transactions in the US, Apple gets 1/2 cent ($0.005) per transaction. Total. Which is still a lot for debit.

I think the French article was talking about credit transactions instead, saying that in the UK, Apple was getting about 5 cents per the average €45 transaction, or 0.11% (a bit lower than the 0.15% in the US). But that is still more than half of the fee that the French banks get for actually doing something.

5. Cuban Missles, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

Cuban Missles
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

Cuban Missles

This is France. Nothing will get done until there are several strikes and a politician sleeps with someone. Until then, don't look for any progress.

Sacre Bleu, I am just kidding. please don't hate. Merci.

6. Zoost
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Zoost

Our leaders will get you drunk and stone x100 before our major financial entities can agree on talks about Apple Pay

7. unobtainium
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Enjoy never using Apple Pay, France!

8. CarlosQG
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

CarlosQG

9. mike2413088
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

mike2413088

Didn't even know people in Mexico used debit and credit cards.

10. jmh600cbr
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

damn youth! this libertarian government is getting out of hand with their youth appeal for drug endorsement, i concur wholeheartedly that we need a government more focused on capitalism. and no this is not sarcasm.

11. mike2413088
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

mike2413088

Capitalism would eat most Canadians alive between the expensive health insurance, and expensive education costs.

12. ddrulez
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

My bet is that Germany will be one of the last country's that will get Apple Pay. It's really frustrating:/

13. vault
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Apple Pay rollout is really slow, and the locked NFC chip is useless outside of four countries.
    Meanwhile HCE payments start to become a thing, and of course they can't be used on iPhone, because someone somewhere can use competing Apple Pay :rolleyes:

14. CarlosQG
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

CarlosQG

[​IMG]

Will you be surprised if I told you we also read the news and we want the News app too? :D

15. jonnysods
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

jonnysods

Dang it I want an Apple Watch so bad right now.

16. mike2413088
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

mike2413088

Apparently you guys read the news because your former president spoke out against Donald Trump yesterday, lol.

In all seriousness though, I thought you guys were a mostly cash society.

17. akbarali.ch
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

akbarali.ch

It would be even slower roll out here in India, sometime early next decade.

18. SteveJobs2.0
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

For all practical purposes there is no Apple Pay in Canada. I tried using it at multiple vendors and it never works. Most likely retailers that accept Amex do not accept Amex tap to pay

19. SBlue1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

Oh please, bring it to Germany. Contactless payment is just about to take off, we could use some help from Apple. Most of my local supermarkets just started using contactless a few months ago and I just saw the first soft drink wending machine at the subway station blink and shine asking for contactless cards. :)

20. pat500000
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

pat500000

A gateway to buying drugs....
    "So, how are you gonna pay for kilos?"
    "With iwatch."
    Beep-accepted
    FBI agent spying with binoculars : "damn... They I didn't see them with cash."

Or another senario

"I like to purchase one prostitue please"
    -beep- accepted

"Thank you"
    Undercover cops: freeze! Ur under arrest!
    "I didn't pay any cash"
    "Oh.... I'm sorry.. Must be consentual intimacy."

21. Bistroengine
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Bistroengine

Maybe FINALLY the French owned 'Bank of the West' here in the states will get Apple Pay now?

22. mike2413088
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

mike2413088

Now my question is, how do you accept Visa/MasterCard/Discover tap to pay but not American Express?

23. Keane16
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Keane16

We've had contacless for years in the UK (haven't seen a magnetic stripe reader for a long time - therefore the LoopPay features would be of no use. You pay contactless or insert the card into a reader and enter the PIN). But even here you can't leave home with your bank card as occasionally you need to insert your card and provide the PIN as a security check:

http://www.mastercard.co.uk/support/contactless-faq.html

Perhaps as contactless payments mature, we'll see new techniques which won't require a physical card.

Some markets like the US have just been slower to adopt the new standards. But they are - http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...credit-card-breach-chip-pin-technology-europe)

So I'm glad Apple didn't cater to the past by purchasing LoopPay. It would only slow down adoption of the better new methods.