Apple Pay Expanding to China, Possibly France and Canada's Big Banks

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 15, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

apple pay has launched in the U.S., U.K., Canada, and Australia to date, and the mobile payments service could expand to a fifth country this week: China. A customer service representative for China's Guangfa Bank, using the bank's public WeChat account, appears to have confirmed that Apple Pay will officially go live in the world's most populous country on February 18 at 5:00 a.m. local time.

(Image: Sina via Tech in Asia)

Apple previously announced that Apple Pay will expand to China in early 2016 in partnership with UnionPay, a state-run interbank network that holds a monopoly on the country's credit and debit card processing. UnionPay cardholders will be able to use Apple Pay on iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad -- the latter for in-app purchases only. iOS 9.2 or watchOS 2.1 or later will be required, according to the screenshot.

In November, The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple reached deals with China's big four state-run banks, including the Bank of China, China Construction Bank, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, and Agricultural Bank of China, to launch its iPhone-based payments service in the country. The report said Apple Pay could launch by the weeklong Chinese New Year, which concluded on February 13.

That prospective date has since passed, but a pair of YouTube videos surfaced in January that appeared to show Apple Pay working with UnionPay bank cards in China for both in-store and in-app purchases. It is possible that Apple soft launched Apple Pay in China with select participating issuers in order to test the payments service, ahead of its official launch in the country in a few days.

Meanwhile, French website iGeneration claims that Apple is preparing to launch Apple Pay in France and could make an announcement in the first half of 2016 -- perhaps at WWDC in June. The report claims it is unclear when Apple Pay will become available in French stores, nor does it have information about which banks and participating issuers will support the service upon launch.

Last, new evidence has been uncovered that hints at Apple Pay support coming to Canada's big banks. Specifically, Twitter user ChaseFromm2016 recently discovered a "NetworkInterac" string hidden in iOS 9.2.1 code, as shared by the blog iPhone in Canada. The same string was also shared on Chinese website Feng last month, in the screenshot pictured right, according to the report.

(Image: iPhone in Canada)

Interac is Canada's official debit card network, adopted by the country's largest banks and credit unions nationwide, including BMO, CIBC, Desjardins, Meridian, National Bank of Canada, RBC, Scotiabank, TD Canada Trust, and many others. TD Canada Trust already stirred speculation in October when it inadvertently listed Apple Pay as a method of payment on its website, before quickly removing it.

Apple Pay is currently limited to American Express cardholders in Canada and Australia, and the same partnership will be extended to Hong Kong, Singapore, and Spain later this year. Apple Pay is now available at more than 2 million retail locations, and Au Bon Pain, Crate & Barrel, Chick-fil-A, Cinnabon, Chili's, KFC, and Starbucks stores now do or soon will accept the payments service in the U.S.

Update: Reuters confirms that Apple Pay officially launches in China on February 18.

Article Link: Apple Pay Expanding to China, Possibly France and Canada's Big Banks
  2. garirry macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2013
    Poutine Queen Land
    If Interac is what will be used for Canadian Apple Pay, I think we will be fine as it is accepted pretty much everywhere from what I've seen. I don't own an iPhone, but I'm pretty excited for this anyway! And Apple Pay in France would be nice as well.
  3. cohenmatt macrumors member

Sep 16, 2013
    My first apple Pay opportunity at McDonalds didn't work...I have a feeling its because Amex tap NFC is the most 50/50
  4. ParanoidDroid macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2013
    Venusville, Mars
    ApplePay will eventually launch in Germany too – a few centuries later. o_O
  5. CarlosQG macrumors 68020

Sep 22, 2012
    And Mexico? Well, we're getting our first official Apple Store, which is something...
  6. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2009
    It's too bad they can't seem to get Visa for ApplePay Canada since that's what I use for 99% of my purchases
  7. realeric, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

realeric macrumors 6502a

Jun 19, 2009
    United States
    Apple pays is not going well. Not in HomeDepot, Lowes, Walmart, Kroger, Target, Publix, QuickTrip, RaceTrac, ... Apple should have purchased LoopPay instead of spending hundreds of billions of dollars to buy and burn stocks. It was only $250 millions.
  8. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 6502a

Feb 15, 2015
  9. Number-Six macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2013
  10. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Nov 7, 2006
    Please let this happen! While I've had generally positive experiences with American Express, I could use Apple Pay at just about anywhere I shop if Interac and/or Visa/MasterCard get onboard!
  11. pat500000 macrumors 68040

Jun 3, 2015
  12. azentropy macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Exactly, I want it to start working in more places HERE!
    This weekend I went to 6 places running errands/eat and not one of them took Apple Pay.
    Lowes, HomeDepot, Jersey Mikes (sub shop), Fry's (grocery owned by Kroger), Target and SAMs Club.

As I mentioned on another thread, it is so I don't even look to try anymore as too many places it doesn't work and then I look silly and have to pull out my card anyway.
  13. skinned66 macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Interac is accepted contactless pretty much everywhere here. This is going to fly very well - and my iPhone will be ready.
  14. tmiw macrumors 68000

Jun 26, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    It's not Apple's fault that major retailers don't want to give up their data gathering. Besides, Samsung Pay isn't exactly that great from a usability perspective either from what I hear.
  15. Peepo macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2009
    My experience with Apple Pay is mainly due to the high failure rate of NFC readers. Even with my Tap Debit Card it doesn't work half the time and ends up holding up the line/taking longer messing around using an alternate pay method.
  16. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Aug 9, 2008
    Many RaceTracs now accept ApplePay (at least in the Atlanta area) and someone recently posted a photo of a terminal in a QuikTrip with ApplePay.
  17. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

Sep 26, 2004
    While Apple Pay expansion in Canada would be wonderful... I'm not holding my breath!
  18. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2015
    Apple pay has only launched in English speaking countries so far.. racism
  19. macintologist macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    I'd love to use Apple Pay but my iPhone 5S is perfectly adequate and I don't want to upgrade.
  20. BSben macrumors 6502a

May 16, 2012
    Apple Pay is great, Apple just have to get the problems in different countries sorted. Here in the UK it is widely accepted (I am confident to say it has the BEST coverage in the UK), but at the same time 99.9% of retailers have the 30GBP limit. In the US it seems it is a lack of retailers accepting it, in other countries it is only available to Amex users. And in Germany there is still no sign of it, a market that Apple keeps forgetting. Germany is a main player in Europe, but Apple seems to forget about it all the time.
  21. slicecom macrumors 68020

Aug 29, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Visa and MasterCard only go through the banks in Canada, so you're not really waiting for Visa, you're waiting for whatever bank you got it through. The only major credit card you can buy directly in Canada is American Express, and thats why if you have an Amex card from Amex (NOT through a bank), you can use it with Apple Pay in Canada.
  22. 69Mustang macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2014
    In between a rock and a hard place
  23. BSben macrumors 6502a

May 16, 2012
    The 5s pairs perfectly well with an Apple Pay equipped Apple Watch....
  24. pat500000 macrumors 68040

Jun 3, 2015
    With the security breach...I don't know.