Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Thinking 5 days in advance, how is Apple pay with more than 1 card?

I suppose I get to choose which card to use per transaction.

Looking forward to Tesco strawberries logo via Apple pay
You can choose a different card for each transaction, but you have to choose one as the default card, which will be the one used unless you pick a different one for that transaction.

Reactions: Donfor39

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Thinking 5 days in advance, how is Apple pay with more than 1 card?

I suppose I get to choose which card to use per transaction.
You pick a default card and that is the card which is used automatically if you use the normal method where you place the phone against the reader, Apple Pay launches automatically and then place your finger on the TouchID sensor when prompted. To use a different card you double tap the home button (or otherwise launch Wallet), select the card from the list and then place your finger on the Touch ID sensor. I always use the second route anyway (less hassle at the card reader as you know your finger has been read correctly) so it's not a problem for me at all.

A

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
There are only two modes - an offline transaction or an online transaction. If the transaction is offline and you go over your overdraft or credit limit then your bank charge a fee and the interest rate sky rockets until you clear it. The bank still pay the merchant, it costs more for a merchant to process the transaction to avoid this kind of situation. Some cards like VISA electron are online only cards and can't be used on aeroplanes, some fuel pumps and by hotels without chip and pin (the ones that still stamp the embossed numbers!).

That isn't true at all that there are only two modes. Quoting Visa:

"Deferred Authorization occurs when an online authorization is performed after the card is no longer
available. The time delay may be brief, such as for a temporary communications failure or where the
merchant simply wishes to speed processing. The time delay may be extended, as when a ferry is out
of range of shore, for in-flight sales, or when the device does not have online capability (for example,
unattended kiosks where the transactions are offloaded nightly to a server and submitted in batches).
Merchants performing Deferred Authorization should complete authorizations within 24 hours of the
transaction."

Deferred authorisation is specifically DIFFERENT from offline authorisation. In offline authorisation, a transaction below a floor limit can be authorised by the card. This is what you're referring to where the bank still pays the merchant. In deferred authorisation, the card does NOT approve the transaction, and the merchant is liable if the card is later declined. Most Visa cards issued in the US are online-only, thus deferred authorisation is the recommended solution where online isn't possible.

See http://technologypartner.visa.com/download.aspx?id=32 for more details.

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
I still find the whole implementation clumsy.

I was in Nero and presented my iPhone after saying I'd pay with card the iPhone didn't first seem to respond to the contactless so I pressed the home button. As I did this it had responded and made the audible beep to say it had paid even though it was now on the home screen. The Barista turned around from the coffee machine and saw me looking confused and then said I'd need to insert my card. She was right, it was now saying I'd need to swipe my card or insert it.

I find the unpredictability annoying, I often prime Apple Pay before I begin or just avoid it all together to save embarrassment of it not working.

I've only had problems with Apple Pay in Nero. When it came out it was working fine. Now whenever I go in and try to use it, it fails. Works fine everywhere else though. So I suspect they've broken something there end.

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it seems Waitrose still doesn't accept payments greater than £30 yet. Tried today and the reader just doesn't activate with the 4 dots when processing a payment > £30. I find it really odd they are an 'official' partner and it's been like this for nearly a year...

#firstworldproblems

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it seems Waitrose still doesn't accept payments greater than £30 yet. Tried today and the reader just doesn't activate with the 4 dots when processing a payment > £30. I find it really odd they are an 'official' partner and it's been like this for nearly a year...

#firstworldproblems

My understanding was that they did. Are you using an Amex card? I believe CDCVM is less likely to be supported with Amex.

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
My understanding was that they did. Are you using an Amex card? I believe CDCVM is less likely to be supported with Amex.

Yes, Amex. I know it has issues sometimes (never works at my Post Office, for example), but in this case the contactless bit of the reader just doesn't activate at all. No contactless 'dots' on the screen. No error messages. It's like the software is programmed not to enable contactless if the payment is above the limit.

My Amex Apple Pay works fine for <£30 transactions in Waitrose though.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I think Waitrose were enabled for Apple Pay over £30 but it was temporarily disabled earlier on in the year (it was posted within this very thread).

I don't have an AmEx card and I've never spent over £30 in Waitrose on a Visa/MasterCard so don't know if it's been switched back on.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Yes, Amex. I know it has issues sometimes (never works at my Post Office, for example), but in this case the contactless bit of the reader just doesn't activate at all. No contactless 'dots' on the screen. No error messages. It's like the software is programmed not to enable contactless if the payment is above the limit.

My Amex Apple Pay works fine for <£30 transactions in Waitrose though.

Okay, sorry I misunderstood. That is definitely the terminal not being enabled for contactless over £30. I don't know why they'd do that because it used to be.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Okay, sorry I misunderstood. That is definitely the terminal not being enabled for contactless over £30. I don't know why they'd do that because it used to be.

Maybe that store was a trial store with experimental software, which has been rolled back for whatever reason before a wider rollout?

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Maybe that store was a trial store with experimental software, which has been rolled back for whatever reason before a wider rollout?
Exactly that, not every store had it, and waitrose replied to me on Twitter stating it was a trial, which ended and the results would be evaluated. Shame as I'd gotten used to it! No sign of it re-appearing yet...

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
That would mean that the vast majority of retailers in the UK would appear not to support Apple Pay though?

A

Take my local Tesco Metro (for example) standard contactless terminals but Apple Pay is fine.

There perhaps are retailers with NFC terminals who have issues with Apple Pay (B&M Bargains was one of them apparently) but I've not seen any reports/encountered any issues on a personal level.

Reactions: azing

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Take my local Tesco Metro (for example) standard contactless terminals but Apple Pay is fine.

There perhaps are retailers with NFC terminals who have issues with Apple Pay (B&M Bargains was one of them apparently) but I've not seen any reports/encountered any issues on a personal level.

B&Ms have been okay for me the few times I've been. Subway on the other hand doesn't work for any of my local stores...

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
one thing I really like about Apple Pay with AMEX is that I get notifications of each credit charge even if it's made outside apple pay. With Barclays I only get notified of apple pay transactions, which is a bit moronic in my opinion because you see.. I AM using the phone to make the transaction so I don't need to be reminded the minute that happens.
am I crazy?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
one thing I really like about Apple Pay with AMEX is that I get notifications of each credit charge even if it's made outside apple pay. With Barclays I only get notified of apple pay transactions, which is a bit moronic in my opinion because you see.. I AM using the phone to make the transaction so I don't need to be reminded the minute that happens.
am I crazy?

AMEX control their own networks; other banks are beholden to Visa/MasterCard and I don't think it's something that's possible still on their networks?

In China I only get 1 transaction listed for my UnionPay cards with no history whatsoever. Fortunately I don't need it because all the banks offer SMS updates on transactions so I get those instead.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
AMEX control their own networks; other banks are beholden to Visa/MasterCard and I don't think it's something that's possible still on their networks?

In China I only get 1 transaction listed for my UnionPay cards with no history whatsoever. Fortunately I don't need it because all the banks offer SMS updates on transactions so I get those instead.

Barclays still authorises payments so they know what's going on.
I have a REvolut MasterCard that sends me notifications each time I use the card via their app.

I believe it's possible they just can't be bothered..

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I rarely go there, but today at McDonald's despite the ApplePay logo being on the terminal's display, it didn't work.
Tried different 'cards' but with no success, luckily had cash on me to pay.

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
I rarely go there, but today at McDonald's despite the ApplePay logo being on the terminal's display, it didn't work.
Tried different 'cards' but with no success, luckily had cash on me to pay.

This is the biggest problem with Apple Pay for me: reliability. I will always carry a backup form of payment just in case - how many times has a chip&pin payment failed? For me it's never.

We're still a long way from ever replacing the physical wallet.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
This is the biggest problem with Apple Pay for me: reliability. I will always carry a backup form of payment just in case - how many times has a chip&pin payment failed? For me it's never.

We're still a long way from ever replacing the physical wallet.

We are, yes. As more phone companies/banks jump on board (be it Android Pay, Samsung Pay etc) I think it'll become more widely adopted (am pretty sure by 2020 contactless will have to be "compulsory") but we have a long way to go.

It would be great if we could install more passes into the Wallet app. Don't know about any one else but the majority of the apps listed there I've no use for.

Being able to ditch a few more loyalty cards would be nice.

Reactions: azing

neil_cm17

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
United Kingdom

Aren't the vast majority of chip and pin transactions authorised online so the banks could, if the wished, send out a notification for every new transaction. Chip and pin transaction on the Santander spendlytics show up immediately but they don't send out a notification. I would have thought it would be useful thing to do as it would allow you to identify a fraudulent transaction immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.