Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Ah that is such a shame. I have the cash back card and the rewards are fantastic, but it's just frustrating how hit and miss it is to actually use it (most of the time Miss) although it's extra annoying when places take Amex, but not Amex Apple Pay!!!

From previous posts above I think it also plays up in Morrisons too for some reason.

AmEx acceptance is much wider than it used to be and they prominently advertised Apple Pay on their home page; just a shame it only works once in a blue moon...

nomugs

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
From previous posts above I think it also plays up in Morrisons too for some reason.

AmEx acceptance is much wider than it used to be and they prominently advertised Apple Pay on their home page; just a shame it only works once in a blue moon...
I totally agree. Hopefully one day it will work a bit better. :)

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
I was at Morrisons last night and they have Apple Pay and now Android Pay decals all over the tills pretty much. Just a shame it's not implemented to be limitless.

On another note the self-serve tills had an option to redeem 10% student discount. As a PhD student, that's good news for me! ;)

Reactions: iGeek2014

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016
I tried to buy something using apple pay from etsy, but when i tap pay with apple pay i get a red ! on shipping address and no explanation as to what is wrong wih it.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
I tried to buy something using apple pay from etsy, but when i tap pay with apple pay i get a red ! on shipping address and no explanation as to what is wrong wih it.
I had this problem one time when using Apple Store app I think. I can't remember exactly what I did but I edited my address details in Settings and made sure all lines were filled etc. and it worked. You might have to experiment till it works.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I had this problem one time when using Apple Store app I think. I can't remember exactly what I did but I edited my address details in Settings and made sure all lines were filled etc. and it worked. You might have to experiment till it works.

Yes I had the same problem with the Apple Store app a few weeks back.

For some reason the shipping address was messed up.

CoachDriver

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK

I have raised an issue with Morrisons with regards to Amex and Apple Pay. I have spoken to their IT team twice and originally they said it was a one off problem at my store. However, I have said this is incorrect and they are investigating further. Hopefully they will come back with a positive solution.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I have raised an issue with Morrisons with regards to Amex and Apple Pay. I have spoken to their IT team twice and originally they said it was a one off problem at my store. However, I have said this is incorrect and they are investigating further. Hopefully they will come back with a positive solution.

Fingers crossed then.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Haven't been into Derby city centre for a long time but they've refurbished Boots in the Eagle Centre and they finally have Apple Pay for over £30!

They've also had new parking meters installed with NFC readers.

Reactions: azing

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Does limitless Apple Pay depend on the card issuer? I was in Wetherspoons yesterday and paid using my Apple Watch and the receipt said 'verified by customer device' later on that night in the same Wetherspoons my girlfriend paid for something with Apple Pay on her SE and the receipt said 'no cardholder verification' The only real difference I could see was my card was a Visa and hers a Mastercard.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Does limitless Apple Pay depend on the card issuer? I was in Wetherspoons yesterday and paid using my Apple Watch and the receipt said 'verified by customer device' later on that night in the same Wetherspoons my girlfriend paid for something with Apple Pay on her SE and the receipt said 'no cardholder verification' The only real difference I could see was my card was a Visa and hers a Mastercard.

That's interesting. It could be down to different financial institutions or card issuers but as far as I'm aware both Visa (see FAQ at bottom) and Mastercard (see the contactless/retailer FAQ section) mention that transactions above £30 are retailer-dependent so both should work. I'm sure I've used both for Apple Pay over £30 too. It could be down to banks as well, so maybe check your banks Apple Pay webpage and see if there's any mention of limits. Most also say it's retailer-dependent.
Is there a chance you paid on different terminals? One could've been updated to accept >£30 and the other not? Only thing I can think of.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
From Lloyds Bank:

To protect you from fraud, we may restrict the value or number of payments you can make using Apple Pay, so please make sure you carry your debit and credit cards with you just in case. Some retailers will also limit individual payments to £30.

I think Halifax (part of the LBG) also have the same on their website too.

In my own personal experience I've used my local One Stop a couple of times. Twice I've had the Verified by Device PIN on the receipt and once it said Cardholder not Verified. Same terminal as well.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Ah that's shame! Thankfully Santander don't mention anything about limiting Apple Pay.

In theory, how could someone commit fraud using Apple Pay?

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
That's interesting. It could be down to different financial institutions or card issuers but as far as I'm aware both Visa (see FAQ at bottom) and Mastercard (see the contactless/retailer FAQ section) mention that transactions above £30 are retailer-dependent so both should work. I'm sure I've used both for Apple Pay over £30 too. It could be down to banks as well, so maybe check your banks Apple Pay webpage and see if there's any mention of limits. Most also say it's retailer-dependent.
Is there a chance you paid on different terminals? One could've been updated to accept >£30 and the other not? Only thing I can think of.

We did use different terminals but it's odd that one didn't support limitless and the other did, they looked identical.

Mine was a Barclaycard and my GF's was a Tesco credit card.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Ah that's shame! Thankfully Santander don't mention anything about limiting Apple Pay.

In theory, how could someone commit fraud using Apple Pay?

The only thing I can think of is if you allowed a third party to register their fingerprint(s) to your device, left the phone at home, had said phone stolen by third party so they can go out and use it until you realise it's been stolen and/or the terminal asks for the physical card and PIN?

I've recently added another fingerprint to my iPhone for Touch ID and two of my banking apps asked me to confirm if I was still the only person with my biometrics on the device.

I guess if I tapped no it would revert to the password option and disable Touch ID support for those apps?

Called into the Tesco Extra at Ilkeston tonight. They finally have contactless terminals there (not on the Scan as You Pack mind) and whereas the Mickleover store in which I work still displays the contactless logo over £30 on the display it disappeared at Ilkeston.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Haven't been into Derby city centre for a long time but they've refurbished Boots in the Eagle Centre and they finally have Apple Pay for over £30!

They've also had new parking meters installed with NFC readers.

Parking meters are one of the biggest use cases for me, especially now with the new £5 not being accepted in machines, I'm getting bored in this day and age to be carrying a wedge of £1 coins, half of which are probably fake and won't go in the machine!

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Parking meters are one of the biggest use cases for me, especially now with the new £5 not being accepted in machines, I'm getting bored in this day and age to be carrying a wedge of £1 coins, half of which are probably fake and won't go in the machine!

Quick "fake £1" coin check: if the tails is at a different angle to the Queen's head it's dud!

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
Well I'm currently Apple Pay-less after selling my 6s plus and waiting for a 7 plus so I'm using my old 5s. Anyway I decided to try out Tesco's PayQwiq to get the bonus 500 clubcard points. It's actually pretty quick! Might be slightly quicker than Apple Pay in terms of waiting for the transaction to be approved etc.
Don't worry though, I'll be deleting it as soon as I get Apple Pay on my phone back and I've received my bonus points!
I have Apple Pay on my watch but only like using that for smaller transactions like coffee and transport!

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
TK Maxx now taking Apple Pay for any amount, and contactless.

ALDI also do take Apple Pay for any amount. A hint is that it says "Present Card". They do insist on you signing a slip of paper though and try to check the back of your card for a matching signature. I tell them that my watch is authenticating using my heart rate though and they go and get the manager who makes me sign a slip of paper which they immediately throw away.

Last edited:

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Oh I know that, but I like how on the phone you have a list of previous transactions. There's nothing like that on the watch.

ahh, since i moved to china i only get the last transaction on my china unionpay cards anyway, but everything comes through as an SMS straight away so i forgot that aspect.

Reactions: azing
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.