Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of Apple Pay in Australia and Canada earlier this week, Apple has shared a new Apple Pay Guided Tour video that walks users through how to use Apple Pay on their iPhones.

The video goes through the steps of making a payment at an NFC terminal with a finger on the Touch ID home button of an iPhone and it covers the security behind Apple Pay. Apple Pay shares no credit card numbers or personal information with cashiers during the checkout process.

There's also a walkthrough on how to set up Apple Pay through the Wallet app and details on using the payments service within an app.

Apple Pay is now available in the United States, the UK, Canada, and Australia, with the latter two countries receiving the service through a partnership with American Express. In 2016, Apple Pay will expand to Spain, Singapore, and Hong Kong through the same AMEX partnership.

Apple has previously published a number of Guided Tour videos, most recently sharing a video series that walks users through how to use the various features of Apple Music. In the past, Apple has also done quite a few Apple Watch Guided Tour videos to teach users how to unlock the full capabilities of the wrist-worn device.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Apple Pay for iPhone Guided Tour

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Apple should issue a credit card direct from visa, mastercard etc that works in every country, or at least in a country with regulation endorsed oligopolies masquerading as a competitive banking market like Australia. it is not a physical card, only through ApplePay. Its payment is due on a day you select in iTunes, and is paid on that date by the credit card you have linked to iTunes. That way, if your normal credit card billing cycle is say, 1st day of the month, you set our apple pay virtual card to be paid on the 2nd of the month. This means actual payment of some goods would be up to two months. Also, Apple could set the credit limit before a pin would be required at whatever level it wanted.

It is clear the Australian banks are paying hard ball. So go around them, exclude them altogether.

Last edited:

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I used to know someone who had a AMEX card in Canada. Then, Costco switched to MasterCard and that was the end of it.
Costco just recently got chip and pin and looks like they put in antiquated cheapest equipment they could find.
I hate Costco... they always want to violate my personal property when I leave at the door (ie. my purchases I just paid for therefore are my property).

Reactions: swupnil

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Apple should issue a credit card direct from visa, mastercard etc that works in every country, or at least in a country with regulation endorsed oligopolies masquerading as a competitive banking market like Australia. it is not a physical card, only through ApplePay. Its payment is due on a day you select in iTunes, and is paid on that date by the credit card you have linked to iTunes. That way, if your normal credit card billing cycle is say, 1st day of the month, you set our apple pay virtual card to be paid on the 2nd of the month. This means actual payment of some goods would be up to two months. Also, Apple could set the credit limit before a pin would be required at whatever level it wanted.

It is clear the Australian banks are paying hard ball. So go around them, exclude them altogether.

Google did that for Google Wallet. It's not sustainable or scalable because they were on the hook for the merchant's card fees. And not even the "card present" fees either--since the actual card's technically not present for the transaction, they had to pay the even higher fees that online stores typically pay to accept cards.

Costco just recently got chip and pin and looks like they put in antiquated cheapest equipment they could find.
I hate Costco... they always want to violate my personal property when I leave at the door (ie. my purchases I just paid for therefore are my property).

As part of the membership agreement you did agree to have your receipt checked at the exit.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Love Apple Pay... but almost everywhere I use it, it asks me to sign. I just draw a straight line.
I believe this is what distinguishes stores that support Apple Pay over stores that just support NFC. Stores that officially support Apple Pay treat your fingerprint as your signature

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Just started using Apple Pay and Touch ID hasn't worked for me once. It doesn't seem to recognise my fingerprint and I have to resort to entering in my pin every time. The strange thing is that Touch ID works perfectly when I simply unlock my phone etc, it's just with Apple Pay that I'm having the problem.

Anyone else experience this?

xdsniper

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
Just started using Apple Pay and Touch ID hasn't worked for me once. It doesn't seem to recognise my fingerprint and I have to resort to entering in my pin every time. The strange thing is that Touch ID works perfectly when I simply unlock my phone etc, it's just with Apple Pay that I'm having the problem.

Anyone else experience this?
Yep, I have this issue as well!
Will take my phone into the apple store when I get the chance....

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
I use ApplePay with fingerprint scanner every chance I get. I love the convenience, but that's not the real reason I use it. Unlike Samsung, your real credit card number doesn't get sent to the merchant with Apple Pay. The security is exactly what the financial industry needs.

Kittenyarn

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2015
So it's like my current bank card with the added inconvenience of requiring thumb scan? Hahaha. That's not going to make me go to Amex.

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
Have not been able to use it that much yet. Once at Wallgreen's which turned out to be a bad experience because of a bug in there system, and once at Apple without any issues. Most stores it seems have not even started using cards with chip yet. They have started getting the readers about a month or so ago but have not enabled anything other than swipe.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I use ApplePay with fingerprint scanner every chance I get. I love the convenience, but that's not the real reason I use it. Unlike Samsung, your real credit card number doesn't get sent to the merchant with Apple Pay. The security is exactly what the financial industry needs.

I'm pretty sure Samsung Pay tokenizes card info too just like Apple and Google do.

Reactions: H2SO4

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
How do merchants get set up to have their terminals accept ApplePay. I have run into numerous merchants who have terminals that support contactless payment but for some reason the terminals are not configured. Do they need to turn it on? Or do they need to set up something with their bank?
I'd love to have accurate information to tell them next time I come across one. So many smaller merchants have supported terminals now. It's just frustrating to see that they aren't set up.

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012

Following the launch of Apple Pay in Australia and Canada earlier this week, Apple has shared a new Apple Pay Guided Tour video that walks users through how to use Apple Pay on their iPhones.

The video goes through the steps of making a payment at an NFC terminal with a finger on the Touch ID home button of an iPhone and it covers the security behind Apple Pay. Apple Pay shares no credit card numbers or personal information with cashiers during the checkout process.

There's also a walkthrough on how to set up Apple Pay through the Wallet app and details on using the payments service within an app.

Apple Pay is now available in the United States, the UK, Canada, and Australia, with the latter two countries receiving the service through a partnership with American Express. In 2016, Apple Pay will expand to Spain, Singapore, and Hong Kong through the same AMEX partnership.

Apple has previously published a number of Guided Tour videos, most recently sharing a video series that walks users through how to use the various features of Apple Music. In the past, Apple has also done quite a few Apple Watch Guided Tour videos to teach users how to unlock the full capabilities of the wrist-worn device.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Apple Pay for iPhone Guided Tour

Why is this news when Apple Pay was introduced over a year ago? As of now in FL most retailers still do not accept it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Why is this news when Apple Pay was introduced over a year ago? As of now in FL most retailers still do not accept it.

it must be news again because its now launched in Australia :) and i reckon they partnered with AMEX deliberately first to get users to get these cards.. :p while everyone knows more people have regular credit cards than American express.

Its not rocket science, but Apple know what they are doing.

Reactions: xerexes1

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
You have guts.. if it were me. i would have just taken it, scrunched it into a ball, and tossed it in the bin, and warned the merchant next time support Apple pay only. otherwise i'm never coming back,

ojobson

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009

It would be too big a barrier for entry - not everyone is going to sign up for a new credit card (even if it is very easy) just to get apple pay. Also, a lot of existing apple pay partners might get a bit peeved if Apple were to move in to the financial services industry and could pull out of apple pay.

Reactions: xerexes1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.