Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applepayuklive-250x339.jpg
The UK Cards Association announced on Tuesday that the upper limit for Apple Pay and other contactless payments is now £30 per transaction in the United Kingdom (via AppleInsider).

Apple Pay transactions were previously limited to £20 since the service launched in the U.K. around six weeks ago. British retailers will be updating their payment terminals starting today and over the coming weeks to accept the new limit.

Apple Pay in the United Kingdom is supported by major credit cards Visa, MasterCard and American Express, with participating banks including First Direct, HSBC, MBNA, Nationwide, NatWest, Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander and Ulster Bank. Bank of Scotland, Halifax, Lloyds Bank, M&S Bank and TSB will eventually support the service.

Apple Pay is compatible with the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch when paired with an iPhone 5 or later.

Article Link: Apple Pay Limit Rises to £30 in UK

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
The reason a lot of these places have a £30 limit is because it uses the same network of wireless paying methods that we had for years before - these include credit cards, a "smart band" from Barclays I think and other technology - the shop can take the limit off if they want and some have and some haven't - though I can see in the future they will be removed...

Reactions: vmistery

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
It's worth mentioning that the limit is for merchants that use the original Contactless infrastructure in the UK, which is very prevalent. The low limit is a security feature, since contactless cards don't require any authorisation in order to make a transaction.

It is possible, for merchants with newer equipment, to take Apple Pay for higher value transactions. But it'll be a while before all the shops upgrade their systems…

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Anywhere that has an Apple Pay symbol [rather than just a contactless ")))" symbol] there is no limit, because your fingerprint is used in place of your PIN.
(This isn't new, but I thought it was worth reminding British users because some aren't aware of it.)

I think this is one of the benefits of being an Apple Pay "official" sponsor that we see on the Apple.com webpage. Some stores who have the logo have sometimes rejected my payment, but this could be because their backend hasn't updated.

Up to £30 anywhere.. No cap with official retailers.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Anywhere that has an Apple Pay symbol [rather than just a contactless ")))" symbol] there is no limit, because your fingerprint is used in place of your PIN.
(This isn't new, but I thought it was worth reminding British users because some aren't aware of it.)

I think this is one of the benefits of being an Apple Pay "official" sponsor that we see on the Apple.com webpage. Some stores who have the logo have sometimes rejected my payment, but this could be because their backend hasn't updated.

I've replied to this in the other threads where you have posted this but it isn't true. Morrisons and Lidl both display the Apple Pay logos at the tills and in store but are still subject to the limit and another member has also confirmed Waitrose is the same.

Reactions: deany and fabian9

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I've replied to this in the other threads where you have posted this but it isn't true. Morrisons and Lidl both display the Apple Pay logos at the tills and in store but are still subject to the limit and another member has also confirmed Waitrose is the same.

Correct, it's not true. It depends solely on the hardware the store has.

You don't have to have special hardware to have an "Apple Pay Accepted" sticker. In fact, getting one is as simple as filling out a form.

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

If you have the stickers it doesn't make you 'official', you can order a free set online from Apple, I've got one on my car. So displaying the Apple Pay symbol doesn't mean you have different or adjusted hardware to standard contactless terminals.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Any recommendations for any of the mentioned banks? I am tired of waiting for Barclays.

I've been happy with Nationwide for the past 10 years. If you travel abroad, then a combination of debit & credit card gives you fee-free transactions in Europe and other countries. I pay £10pm for (very low) interest on my current account, free worldwide travel insurance, breakdown etc.

While in no way influencing my recommendation, I can get you £100 (and the same for myself) when switching if you DM your details.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Any recommendations for any of the mentioned banks? I am tired of waiting for Barclays.

I opened a new account with Santander - happy so far. Will close my Barclays Account soon (after 28 years!) - will look at moving my mortgage and joint account (they're linked) away from Barclays next year - once my current deal expires.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
If you have the stickers it doesn't make you 'official', you can order a free set online from Apple, I've got one on my car. So displaying the Apple Pay symbol doesn't mean you have different or adjusted hardware to standard contactless terminals.
Correct, it's not true. It depends solely on the hardware the store has.

You don't have to have special hardware to have an "Apple Pay Accepted" sticker. In fact, getting one is as simple as filling out a form.

Yes, I know. I made this comment about that in the other thread.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ments-increased-to-£30.1911733/#post-21767649

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I've had mixed results with Apple Pay in the UK. M&S seems quite reliable in their big stores, although it recently failed at the new Simply Food at Newcastle Central Station. Costa also seems variable and the extra annoyance is that their loyalty phone app is quite slow - it often takes two attempts, by which time I could have given the barista my card for swiping.

I'm not sure how much of a benefit it is, though I tend to have my phone in my hand more often than my wallet.

If Apple et al can somehow combine apps that keep loyalty cards in the Wallet app with Apple Pay so that its a simple, single use of the phone (or watch) on a card reader, then it will immediately become more useful. Not sure if companies could associate bank cards with a loyalty account (would that bypass the security controls?) but that would actually make the whole process much simpler at many stores and at the same time encourage use of both systems to mutual benefit.

Reactions: bbfc

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Living in the US it has been a struggle as we wait for merchants to accept Apple Pay (although the tide is painfully and slowly turning). My EU friends always ribbed me with the fact that you all had contactless for years, but Apple had just not jumped the pond. Now we see the truth, you have it but it is limited to what is about $USD60. With the prices of groceries where I live, this would be the same as not being able to use it. Although the 1 million vending machines and McDonald's that Tim quotes I guess would still work (I just never use either).

Reactions: Jason83

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
I find this limit due to the existing infrastructure kind of funny. All I ever see is UK folks talking about how silly Americans are for not having it, now it's the fact you already had it that is causing problems.

Reactions: JUiCEJamie

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
If I am not mistaken, here in Canada, tap-to-pay is available on transactions up to $100, and it's already available in most major merchants (I use it many times a week myself).

Just gotta wait for Apple Pay now... This fall, if the latest rumours are to be believed.

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I find this limit due to the existing infrastructure kind of funny. All I ever see is UK folks talking about how silly Americans are for not having it, now it's the fact you already had it that is causing problems.
What problems is it causing? People here are used to having the £20 limit for contactless payments so not sure why they'd suddenly have issues buying a sandwich or a coffee as they would have without Apple Pay.

As with all changes to technology it'll take time to fully roll out (it's been a little over a month since launch). I'm sure there are still banks, unions and retailers in the US that don't support Apple Pay and yet they have no obstacles in their way...

Reactions: Mike Oxard

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

It's a game of leapfrog with technology in most places. Fact is, the US is absolutely humongous compared to the UK and requires about 30x the infrastructure to upgrade.

rubesmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015

applepayuklive-250x339.jpg
The UK Cards Association announced on Tuesday that the upper limit for Apple Pay and other contactless payments is now £30 per transaction in the United Kingdom (via AppleInsider).

Apple Pay transactions were previously limited to £20 since the service launched in the U.K. around six weeks ago. British retailers will be updating their payment terminals starting today and over the coming weeks to accept the new limit.

Apple Pay in the United Kingdom is supported by major credit cards Visa, MasterCard and American Express, with participating banks including First Direct, HSBC, MBNA, Nationwide, NatWest, Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander and Ulster Bank. Bank of Scotland, Halifax, Lloyds Bank, M&S Bank and TSB will eventually support the service.

Apple Pay is compatible with the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch when paired with an iPhone 5 or later.

Article Link: Apple Pay Limit Rises to £30 in UK

Looks like BOS are close to launching - I just got this email ;-)
http://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/hel...3831762&WT.mc_ev=Click&WT.mc_id=EML_751053936

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I've had mixed results with Apple Pay in the UK. M&S seems quite reliable in their big stores, although it recently failed at the new Simply Food at Newcastle Central Station. Costa also seems variable and the extra annoyance is that their loyalty phone app is quite slow - it often takes two attempts, by which time I could have given the barista my card for swiping.

I'm not sure how much of a benefit it is, though I tend to have my phone in my hand more often than my wallet.

If Apple et al can somehow combine apps that keep loyalty cards in the Wallet app with Apple Pay so that its a simple, single use of the phone (or watch) on a card reader, then it will immediately become more useful. Not sure if companies could associate bank cards with a loyalty account (would that bypass the security controls?) but that would actually make the whole process much simpler at many stores and at the same time encourage use of both systems to mutual benefit.
I use it at M&S and Starbucks quite frequently, and it works every time. Haven't tried it in Boots yet.

I haven't tried to use it at the new Central Station store, though I only get on a train maybe a few times a month.

What I still don't understand is that some of the UK's largest retailers don't even support contactless yet. I'm looking at you Tesco, ASDA, Sainsbury's.

Reactions: fabian9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.