Apple Pay Now Accepted by 1000 U.S. Issuers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple updated its Apple Pay participating issuers list today with 32 additional banks, credit unions and financial institutions supporting the contactless payment service in the U.S. apple pay now has 1000 participating issuers nationwide, including 998 U.S. banks and credit unions and store card support at BJ's Wholesale Club and Kohl's.

The newly added Apple Pay participating issuers are reflected below, although it's worth noting that some banks, credit unions and financial institutions listed may have already had support for the contactless payments service and are only now being reflected on Apple's website.

The full list of new Apple Pay participating issuers:
    Anderson Brothers Bank
    Bank & Trust Company
    Bank of Labor
    Bank of Yazoo
    BankWest
    Brown County State Bank
    Busey Bank
    Campbell & Fetter Bank
    Central Bank of Oklahoma
    Collinsville Savings Society
    Core Bank
    Covantage Credit Union
    Diversified Members Credit Union
    Farmington Bank
    Florida Parishes Bank
    Fort Worth Community Credit Union
    Great Midwest Bank
    Horizon Bank, N.A.
    Litchfield Bancorp
    Luther Burbank Savings
    Mississippi National Guard Federal Credit Union
    Oregon Community Credit Union
    Pathfinder Bank
    Platinum Federal Credit Union
    Qualstar Credit Union
    Red River Bank
    Seven Seventeen Credit Union
    T Bank
    The Citizens Bank
    Titonka Savings Bank
    US Employees O.C. Federal Credit Union
    Wallis State BankApple Pay is now available at more than 2 million retail locations, with support coming to Crate & Barrel, Chick-fil-A, and Au Bon Pain locations in the U.S. soon. Cinnabon, Chili's, Domino's, KFC and Starbucks will also support Apple Pay in the U.S. starting this year.

In November, Apple Pay launched in Australia and Canada in November in partnership with American Express. Apple Pay is also coming for American Express cardholders in Hong Kong, Singapore and Spain this year, and the service appears to have soft launched in China last month in partnership with UnionPay.

Apple Pay gained support for BJ's Wholesale Club private label credit cards and 66 new U.S. issuers on December 15, plus nearly another 60 issuers on January 5.

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Accepted by 1000 U.S. Issuers

2. DoctorTech
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

That is a great milestone. I really like using Apple Pay because of the security and privacy it offers.

3. levitynyc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

WHO CARES ABOUT 1,000 ISSUERS IF ONLY A HANDFUL OF STORES ACCEPT APPLE PAY????!!!!

The ones that do, half of them don't work or the clerks have no idea how to use the terminals.

How about using that tremendous cash surplus to have a field team train employees and make sure the terminals are functional???

4. Moofo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Meanwhile, in Canada, only Amex supports it....

Give me a green card and I'll move. Stupid backward country.

5. 1Zach1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I don't know what training needs to be done for clerks, since it looks like a credit card transaction on their side, but Apple can't force companies to turn on NFC at POS. Be upset at the stores, not Apple, for that.

6. whirldy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

whirldy

7. Kebabselector
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Bank of Yazoo - are they making these names up now?

However sign me up if you get a free Alison Moyet Or Vince Clarke doll.

8. thinsays
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

thinsays

Santander US ever going to be on this list? Nah.... even though Santander UK made it......

9. jayducharme
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

jayducharme

I've had several transactions where the clerks had no clue what I was doing with my iPhone and wasn't even aware that the transaction had gone through until the receipt was spit out. I've also had many instances where the transaction was rejected and the clerks had no idea why. So I think a little training would help, at least with customer relations.

10. DoctorTech
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

New stores are being added on a regular basis although I agree it is a lot slower than I had hoped. Initially I think some of the resistance from stores was that it was not universally supported by issuers. Today I think it is more just plain old fashion resistance to change on the part of some stores or the fact that they are losing the ability to collect data on their customers.

11. 4jasontv
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I'd be happy if my bank let me cash checks from its app. Also, I wish they had an app.

12. FreakinEurekan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

I've found it to be more than a "Handful". In the last few days I've used ApplePay at the grocery store (regional chain store), Panera Bread, Subway, Walgreen's, my veterinarian, and a local liquor store. But still some big chain stores are not able to get it working despite having the hardware already - Home Depot, Casey's General Store (despite being an Apple Pay "Launch" supporter), Zayle's jewelry. It's not just ApplePay, none of these locations have their chip readers working either.

13. mrgraff
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

My favorite mom-n-pop Chinese takeout place recently added an Apple Pay option. Even put up signs. Yet the employees still don't know what I'm doing when I use my phone to pay. I was asked to sign my receipt even though it clearly displayed the words "no signature necessary." The clerk refused to agree that I didn't have to sign it, so I just pretended to scribble and circled the words. Additional training shouldn't be necessary, but unfortunately it is.

14. RedOrchestra, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016

RedOrchestra
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

What's in it for Canadian banks - they already offer the most secure credit / debit cards in the world and have for years. Unlike the US banks that are just starting to roll out chip & pin cards this year, Canadian banks have been issuing them for like 5 years with all of them having the Tap-and-Go feature. Furthermore, the government capped the fees that Visa & MasterCard can charge merchants so they're not in any hurry to give up a share of their profits. Are US banks capped on the fees they charge merchants? What percentage of the population in Canada currently own an iPhone 6 and up?

One of the great things about living in Canada ... you're free to leave anytime ... bye, bye.

15. mainstreetmark
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Yeah, this is where I am with Apple Pay - a non-user. I don't even bother trying. I think I got about 2 successful transactions off of it, and after that, just wound up holding up the line when it didn't work. I will likely never try it again, because if it only works in 5% of the transactions during a day, why bother.

MAYBE, if Gas pumps started using it, then i'd give it another go. But, for now, even at places where I know it works (liek Firehouse Subs, where it worked 2 out of 3 times), i'll just revert to the ol' standby of handing someone my stupid card.

The tech is way to new. It's like trying to send an email to someone in the 1970's. Safer to use stamps.

16. CarlosQG
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

CarlosQG

Mexico, please Apple? Oh, and the News app while you're at it.

17. Tycho24
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Tycho24

Run it as credit, NOT debit.

18. pgiguere1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Meanwhile in Canada, nearly all stores support it but we have zero banks on board...

19. 1Zach1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

It's not even close to new. It's new for Apple to have it in the iPhone, but contactless payments are not new tech. Merchants should be using the tools at their disposal and properly training their employees so ApplePay, AndroidPay, and contactless CCs can be used properly.

20. macfacts
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

macfacts

Tim Cook has too many hobbies (Apple TV, Apple watch, Apple pay, Apple music).

21. RickInHouston
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Will these posts ever end? When? Why cares at this point.

22. macintologist
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

23. BvizioN
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I guess you live in US! Since I had my Halifax card activated for Apple pay I have not even once paid by cash anything (except on my company's cantine) for any transaction under £30. And leave my wallet home occasionally. But I agree, there are lots of people who have no idea about it. I did pay with Apple Watch a month ago in cloud 23 (Holton) in Manchester and the bar woman was totally shocked....dhe could not beehive I had just paid using a watch. Same on many places. The thing is, I have to say that I'm using a card, so they can switch the NFC for me to use Apple Pay.

24. galrito
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

galrito

Same in Portugal.

25. JeffyTheQuik
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

JeffyTheQuik

Gives truth to the "Spending money out the Yazoo" phrase...

They'll give a doll to only you, depending on the situation, but my advice is: don't go.

;)