Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Mmm, seems I was wrong about my local Morrisons not having contactless, just don't seems any symbols or signs that I noticed, just made a purchase with Apple Pay at the self checkouts, worked fine on the debit card though could have been a touch quicker. Now HSBC or Visa need to make my credit card work.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Now it's here, I can tell those missing out it's not that exciting. And getting your phone out, double clicking home button, picking the right card, waiting for the print reader -- it's not much quicker than getting your wallet out and holding up the right card.

Actually, it's easily twice as fast as getting your wallet out and finding the right card. Unless you're deliberately trying to be obtuse ;) and with the Apple Watch, infinitely faster. Even if you have only 1 card on Apple Pay on your phone, like I do, you can easily double tap and scan fingerprint as you take phone out of pocket. I did that and the transaction completed before I even got the phone 4 inches from the scanner.

All Contactless machines have a limit of £20 until they get a software upgrade scheduled for September and it will still have a limit of £30, Eventually there will be a roll out to allow any limit but no date yet

The software update that increase the limit to £30, includes the ability for retailers to waive the limit, although that is limited to the newer contactless machines (ones that are about a year old or so). Boots have already said they'll waive the limit ASAP. It's highly likely that all the official Apple Pay partners will follow. Waitrose are planning on waiving the limit.

Good luck UK. Hope that CurrentC or anything like it is not on your island. Hope that all those NFC terminals are not shut off for no-good reason. I have loved my apple pay experience the 2 times I have used it (okay I am exaggerating how low the number is, for effect, but the point is valid) and 1 of those was with the watch which eliminates all the naysayers here because if you cant find your watch faster than your wallet, you would have much more pressing issues than paying for stuff. Cheers and have a pint on me (of course I mean using your apple pay :)).

There's a similar thing to CurrentC coming out here, but it's not an exclusive thing, plus also no-one will disable contactless, since we've had contactless for years, unlike you in the US. No UK retailer are dumb enough to risk the uproar that their contactless cards no longer worked after years of it working.

Disappointing that none of the major 3 UK supermarkets accept Apple Pay. Only time I've used it was in a Spar while on holiday in France. I'd left wallet at hotel and was glad to see they accepted contactless payments.
“The Big Four” supermarkets are Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s and Morrisons

Morrisons & Tesco's (well the London ones) have contactless, so they actually support it. Asda near me has contactless too, I think.

£20 limit is pretty useless when shopping for food, diesel or electrical goods. £200 limit much more useful. No limit more useful again, but in the UK highly unlikely to be achieved.
..but with a £20 limit on Apple pay transaction who wants to bother getting the phone out. Our weekly shopping bill is rarely less than £150. £20 limit for a supermarket . Waste of time.

The limits will change when there's a software update in a couple of months. Why complain anyway, did you complain when contactless cards were brought out?! Are they also a waste of time?

Last edited:

jonatron

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Leeds, UK
..but with a £20 limit on Apple pay transaction who wants to bother getting the phone out. Our weekly shopping bill is rarely less than £150. £20 limit for a supermarket . Waste of time.
Have you ever heard of Tesco Express or Sainsburys Local? I guess not. The average transaction is less than £20.

Besides they are getting rid of the limit in Sept/Oct anyway so I'm not sure what your point is? It's not Apple's fault that the UK Cards Association set the limit of £20.

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
If you have only 1 card on Apple Pay on your phone
I don't. Bye.

Dunno why 6 different people want to reply to me without reading all the previous conversations I had.

P.S. Funny how it's hard for you to find the right card in your wallet, but you only have one you want to pay with. Try slimming down your wallet!

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Nice to see you quote my post out of context.....

Even if you have more than 1, it's still faster.
Just did a test. Took me 4 seconds to get out my wallet from my back pocket, open it, pull out the card and hold it in front of me, without rushing. Took 6 seconds to get my phone out, double click home button to bring up the card selection screen (iOS 9), select the non-default, which I have to do 40% of the time, hold my finger on the button till it's registered, and put it in front of me.

I said in my original post that Apple Pay wasn't much quicker - I'd now argue it's actually slower in certain use cases.

I don't know why others are upset at a) me pointing out it's not particularly exciting and b) that it's not much quicker (in the cases where it is quicker at all, like perhaps where you only use one card nearly all the time) unless you spend several hundred on an Apple Watch to cut a few seconds off.

Yes, it's more secure, it might one day mean you don't need a wallet, blah blah blah. There are other reasons why you might prefer Apple Pay. But none of these excite me or really improve my life.

If you're excited and made happy by using Apple Pay, good for you. :)

Banyan Bruce

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Have you ever heard of Tesco Express or Sainsburys Local? I guess not. The average transaction is less than £20.

Besides they are getting rid of the limit in Sept/Oct anyway so I'm not sure what your point is? It's not Apple's fault that the UK Cards Association set the limit of £20.

Sorry folks simply didn't appreciate the number of users of Express outlets. My bad. :oops:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I think a lot of Morrisons do don't they? I know crappy Sainsbury's certainly don't though!

I have used contactless in a few Sainsbury branches although most are still dragging their heels. Sainsbury more than the others seems to operate on a localised basis.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The software update that increase the limit to £30, includes the ability for retailers to waive the limit, although that is limited to the newer contactless machines (ones that are about a year old or so). Boots have already said they'll waive the limit ASAP. It's highly likely that all the official Apple Pay partners will follow. Waitrose are planning on waiving the limit.

Wrong, there are old systems that can be increased to £30 maximum these have to be replaced to go over that limit.

However there are the newer type of reader that can be changed to anything the retailer wishes. Boots run these in most there locations hence the 'no limit'

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
It's not very clever, by the time I find my phone, press my finger on the phone and get it to read correctly I would have been out of the shop if I just used my contactless card. No point!

I can't see how it's more difficult to find your phone than your cc. Also, Apple Pay is more secure.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Wrong, there are old systems that can be increased to £30 maximum these have to be replaced to go over that limit.

However there are the newer type of reader that can be changed to anything the retailer wishes. Boots run these in most there locations hence the 'no limit'

You pretty much just repeated what I said.....

Old machines can get the update to the £30 limit. Newer readers (ones from about a year ago), with the update, can tell the difference between a contactless card and a mobile; meaning it can have the no limit.....

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Why is it sarcastic?
Pull out your wallet, hold it near reader. Done. Heck if it’s the only card in there you don’t even have to open it.
Good job those contactless cards come with a free Apple Watch Edition, no reason not to get one then is there?

It’s all about the compromises and choices you are willing to make. There some advantages to plastic you know.
You know there are people with NFC / RFID readers that will bump into you to steal you credit card info. By needing to use your fingerprint you eliminate this. You don't have to carry your credit card or can keep them in an RFID blocking wallet

Reactions: shandyman

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I have used contactless in a few Sainsbury branches although most are still dragging their heels. Sainsbury more than the others seems to operate on a localised basis.

Oh really? I didn't realise that! I currently work at a Sainsbury's (although not for much longer!) and I know our store doesn't have it.. last week we just got staff/customer Wifi.... Thats how behind the times we are.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Oh really? I didn't realise that! I currently work at a Sainsbury's (although not for much longer!) and I know our store doesn't have it.. last week we just got staff/customer Wifi.... Thats how behind the times we are.

The one in Reading has contactless. They're doing better than tesco's. No idea why they're being ridiculous. They're taunting us at my local ones, as there's a button for contactless, which is greyed out, as obviously they don't have the terminal. If the Morrisons hadn't closed down, I would use them instead.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I made an expensive purchase at the Regent Street Apple Store last weekend. My offer of paying with Apple Pay was poo-pooed by the sales assistant, and he said that it was easy to fake fingerprints.

Go figure!

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
I think I'll be using my Apple Watch more than my iPhone to use Applepay now that I've managed to register first direct card, just more immediate.

tomo999

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Bedfordshire UK
I registered My First Direct debit and VISA cards this morning without issue. I requested the confirmation code(s) via text which came through immediately and worked first time. In London tomorrow so I'll try it out :)

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Personally I've never opted for contactless cards, which can be scanned while still in your pocket !! Surely Apple Pay is more secure in that you need a fingerprint - at least at the moment. Hopefully they will lift the £20/£30 limit soon to.

They are designed to work no more than 10cm from a reader.

I suspect that tales of this kind of fraud are Daily Mail style stories.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
HSBC do contactless cards - you might have to ask in your bank for a new card though.
They hadn't issued any contactless credit cards as of January 2015, but an earlier poster has one currently. So I will see about getting one. I just gone one two weeks ago and it wasn't contactless :( My HSBC debit card has been for a while though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.