Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
Apply Pay is nice and all ... but it requires an iPhone. There are still millions of people that use other types of phones ... so options are a good thing.

Then use Google Payment methods cause it's safer than this crap. Research everything that has come out about the whole process. The company's goal is to sidestep the credit card companies and their fees but this is doing it in an un-safe way to the user. They have full un-regulated access into your bank account.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
Apply Pay is nice and all ... but it requires an iPhone. There are still millions of people that use other types of phones ... so options are a good thing.
And for everyone without an iPhone, Google Wallet is still superior to this mess that they are attempting.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I think only people on MacRumors even know what this is.

Instead, users of MCX's app will be limited to private-label store cards, like Target's REDcard, or they'll have to give MCX their checking-account details.
Daaang, this is far worse than just using cash or credit.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
No great shakes with CurrentC. Benefit to consumer is nill as process is more complicated. Number of retailers accepting CurrentC is no where near ApplePay............and for good reason:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:o_O

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Well, since you brought it up, how about letting us all know...
Google is your friend. But I give you the short version:

Paymit is a free transaction standard for any bank to adapt upon wish, no transaction fees (so far banks are generous), can make use of any available security features of existing systems as well as hardware features (like touchID), not bound to a specific device, not bound to a technology like NFC, not bound to credit cards, can be directly linked to bank accounts if banks wish to choose so. Currently designed for P2P but in strong evolution towards the commercial market (expected within a few months). Only three months since the initial release but with a huge momentum both on the customer as well as on the banks side, strong marketing here in Switzerland, will go internationally eventually. How does it work? Your phone becomes your terminal, on both sides of the transaction. One side types in the price you have to pay, the other pays. Same app, same UI, very easy. No additional middleman, no collusion between banks.

That is a practical solution.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Do some of you guys posting on here realise that Apple pay requires an iPhone? To a vast majority of people apple pay is useless, they need alternatives...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
There are alternatives for Android phones. And the way everything is designed, if you accept either of them then the other one comes for free automatically. Actually, if you accept contactless debit/credit cards, both come for free and you'd have to invest extra effort to turn one of them off.

The point of CurrentC is that it has huge advantages for the trader, and huge, huge disadvantages for the customer. Sellers may be quite happy giving you a rubbish experience if it adds money to their pocket. On the other hand, if one store offers a nice experience that is also safe and doesn't give the seller access to your bank account, and the other store doesn't, where will you go shopping?

So what are the huge advantages / disadvantages ?

Substance90

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
The wording of the title makes it a bit confusing - at first I thought Apple actually paid some company to start a trial for whatever their service is.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Do some of you guys posting on here realise that Apple pay requires an iPhone? To a vast majority of people apple pay is useless, they need alternatives...

This isn't a battle between Apple Pay and MCX. It's a battle between using a NSF or other secure payment alternative for your credit card. Apple fans should be a fan of Android using a similar payment platform because the more overall customers there are asking for it, the more likely it is that merchants will see the value in implementing it.

MCX was never against Apple as much as they were credit card companies. They didn't want to pay the 2% markup and wanted to find a way to pocket most of it it as profit. (No way the savings were going back to the consumer.) But if they with none of the consumer protection and direct access to you bank account -it was never going to fly.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Google is your friend. But I give you the short version:

Paymit is a free transaction standard for any bank to adapt upon wish, no transaction fees (so far banks are generous), can make use of any available security features of existing systems as well as hardware features (like touchID), not bound to a specific device, not bound to a technology like NFC, not bound to credit cards, can be directly linked to bank accounts if banks wish to choose so. Currently designed for P2P but in strong evolution towards the commercial market (expected within a few months). Only three months since the initial release but with a huge momentum both on the customer as well as on the banks side, strong marketing here in Switzerland, will go internationally eventually. How does it work? Your phone becomes your terminal, on both sides of the transaction. One side types in the price you have to pay, the other pays. Same app, same UI, very easy. No additional middleman, no collusion between banks.

That is a practical solution.
Thank you for the explanation.

I dislike "googling it" when someone brings something up, as I have been caught in too many discussions where we are talking about different things. The original presenter is talking about one thing, and my googling got to a different place, and so the discussion is a non-sequitorious nightmare.

So, rest well, knowing I know how to look things up on Google, and also that you have taught me about the Paymit program from your point of view. Now that we have a mutual basis for discussion, it can, if it does, proceed on a common understanding, without me thinking it was a Android only solution, as when I did look it up, all I saw was that for the first three pages.

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
So what are Currency's plans for the rest of the world? My guess is nowhere. This has all the hallmarks of being a USA only solution. Perhaps someone should tell them that there is a world outside the 48 (ok 50) states.
This is what differentiates ApplePay from all the comptirion. They set out with a plan to roll this out all over the world. I really don't see the competition (even Google and Samsung) thinking big.
Shame really. Apple does need some decent competition.
I won't be using it even though my bank is one of the launchbanks here in the UK. I've even got replaced my NFC cards with non NFC ones. Paranoid? Yes. I have had my identity stolen so I think I'm justified.

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
There's also these two other payment services called Android Pay, and also Samsung Pay, which use NFC payment solutions just like how Apple Pay works. I cannot believe I have to tell you this.

This is yet another reason why this stinker is doomed before it begins. Google Wallet (now called Google Pay) has been around for years but did work a bit different in that it used NFC to charge the card in your google account (like purchasing apps would). The new Google pay is more like Apple pay with security and bank participation and will be used like Apple pay without having to actually open the Google Wallet app (its only shortcoming over Apple pay, but exactly what Current C will require whichi s funny, since Google is an example of why people dont use mobile payments as often when ou have to do that, in the time you open the app you could have just swiped a credit card.) Samsung pay might as well be Current C.

But you figure, 80% of smart phone users have an Android just under 15% an iPhone. (Though a large number of iPhones do not have NFC, like more than half in use, but once those people upgrade in the next year or two...) why would anyone bother?

Pretty much everyone with a mobile device will be able to use a phone to make payments in a much more elegant way, and stores can add support for their apps and loyalty programs through both apple or google. (Google might even run on windows phone.)

CurrentC is hopefully planning their bankruptcy filing

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
Was in Wegman's the other day and some lady was writing out a check to the store to pay for her grocery bill. I wanted to ask her why she hasn't heard of this thing called a debit card, but I didn't want to start a problem, so I kept it to myself.

Most retailers now process checks as ACH transactions, so the money is instantly debited from the checking account. No way to write a bad check. It will simply reject it if the money is not in the account.

Though you're right, a debit card would be much easier.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Most retailers now process checks as ACH transactions, so the money is instantly debited from the checking account. No way to write a bad check. It will simply reject it if the money is not in the account.

It still takes a couple of business days though. First overnight to debit the customer and add a pending credit to the business' account, then the second overnight for it to post.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
A cheaper iPhone?

Seeing that this is an Apple Centered site, there is kind of an echo chamber effect going on here.
Your reply doesn't make sense. For one, there is only one iPhone generation that has Apple Pay. You would need an Apple Watch (which is a $400 additional cost) to have it work on a cheaper iPhone. Also, this is an Apple website, you're correct. But not everyone with an iMac or Macbook has an iPhone. I know plenty of Android only users who own MBPs and/or iPads.

But I do not agree that this service is a formidable alternative... Paypal, which currently doesn't NFC, but I am sure they will soon enough, is better than this service. As is Google Wallet.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
So what are the huge advantages / disadvantages ?

The biggest advantage for the companies and disadvantage for consumers is that CurrentC links directly to your bank account. This is good for the companies because it bypasses the transaction fees charged by MasterCard/Visa/Discover, but bad for consumers because you lose a major layer of security.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
It was technically not stealing. She didn't deprive you of the card, and had no intention to do so. Any money coming out of your account was money that you owed the store.

It actually is kind of stealing, because the onus is on the cardholder to use reasonable means to secure the account information. I give the card to the cashier--they are not to take it from me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.