Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay launched in Singapore in April through a partnership with American Express, and at the time, the Apple Pay website in Singapore said Apple Pay would be available to Visa card holders and major banks in the near future.

Starting today, Apple Pay support is expanding beyond American Express. Apple Pay can now be used with major Visa, MasterCard, and American Express credit and debit cards from five of Singapore's major banks, including POSB, DBS, OCBC, Standard Chartered, and UOB.

applepaysingapore-800x318.jpg

According to The Straits Times, the five banks account for more than 80 percent of the Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards issued in Singapore. Customers with an eligible card can add it to the Wallet app on the iPhone to make purchases within retail stores.
Apple Pay vice-president Jennifer Bailey told The Straits Times: "Now, almost everyone can leave their wallets at home. Apple Pay will be a natural extension of what users have been doing at payment counters."
Apple Pay can be used at more than 30,000 retail locations in Singapore that accept contactless payments, and Apple's Apple Pay Singapore website lists several official partners like Starbucks, FairPrice, BreadTalk, 7 Eleven, Toast Box, TopShop, Uniqlo and more.

Apple is working to bring additional banks on board to further expand Apple Pay support in the country.

Article Link: Apple Pay Support in Singapore Expands to Five Major Banks

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
OCBC Frank (Visa credit card) is still not supported. Whereas OCBC's debit card has been "pending activation" for 10 minutes now.

However DBS MasterCard activates pretty smoothly.

I'm not sure how smooth it will be during payment – mostly because of the merchants though.

Apple Pay launched in Singapore in April through a partnership with American Express, and at the time, the Apple Pay website in Singapore said Apple Pay would be available to Visa card holders and major banks in the near future.

Starting today, Apple Pay support is expanding beyond American Express. Apple Pay can now be used with major Visa, MasterCard, and American Express credit and debit cards from five of Singapore's major banks, including POSB, DBS, OCBC, Standard Chartered, and UOB.

applepaysingapore-800x318.jpg

According to The Straits Times, the five banks account for more than 80 percent of the Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards issued in Singapore. Customers with an eligible card can add it to the Wallet app on the iPhone to make purchases within retail stores.Apple Pay can be used at more than 30,000 retail locations in Singapore that accept contactless payments, and Apple's Apple Pay Singapore website lists several official partners like Starbucks, FairPrice, BreadTalk, 7 Eleven, Toast Box, TopShop, Uniqlo and more.

Apple is working to bring additional banks on board to further expand Apple Pay support in the country.

Article Link: Apple Pay Support in Singapore Expands to Five Major Banks

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Just added my credit card upon reading this news. Can't wait to try buying something with it after work today.

sguser

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
I was able to add my OCBC Plus card. I'm surprised that UOB added support for Visa cards but not MasterCard :(

OCBC Frank (Visa credit card) is still not supported. Whereas OCBC's debit card has been "pending activation" for 10 minutes now.

However DBS MasterCard activates pretty smoothly.

I'm not sure how smooth it will be during payment – mostly because of the merchants though.

Hafiezdaniel

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Bukit Panjang, Singapore
Extracted from Channelnewsasia (Singapore news agency).

What Jennifer Bailey said about what they look our for, for Apple Pay expansion.

"The mobile payment service is available in six countries worldwide. Singapore was chosen as the first market in the region - outside of China - to roll out the service, something Apple executive Ms Jennifer Bailey said was partly due to "contactless acceptance" and penetration of debit and credit cards.

Said Ms Bailey: “There’s a number of things we look at from a market perspective, as we choose the timing of Apple Pay. The first is, do we have a lot of great iPhone and Apple Watch customers in the market since that is needed in order to use Apple Pay."

“The second is, the penetration of credit and debit cards," she added. "Singapore is a very popular market for credit and debit - over 78 per cent of the customers here prefer to use credit and debit cards over cash.

“And then the third factor is what we call contactless - which is the way the phone actually talks to the terminal to enable Apple Pay. So you have great contactless acceptance in Singapore as well.

“So all these factors - lots of iPhone customers, lots of contactless, and great credit and debit make it a great market for us.”"

Reactions: fongkahchun86

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
For those in Singapore, does scanning debit cards work for you guys?

The dompet stays in my back pocket until the kopi tiam kaki lima accepts Apple Pay instead of coins.
Been cashless in kopitiams for quite some time using the kopitiam blue card. Plus I get 10% discount.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Been cashless in kopitiams for quite some time using the kopitiam blue card. Plus I get 10% discount.
I have linked my debit card to Apple Pay, though I haven't had the chance to actually buy anything with it yet.

News of Apple Pay actually made the 9 pm news yesterday. If it's one thing Apple is good for, it's generating news about their actions and getting people aware and excited about them.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I'm in London Ontario - where are you guys and what places take Apple Pay?

In the West - any place that you could/can Tap & Go with your Visa Card will take Apple Pay - only been to one place that hadn't seen it - so I opened the iPhone Wallet and showed them the Visa Card on screen then did Touch ID, got the check mark, the till started printing the receipt - they checked it over and saw that the receipt was good and away I went.

Last edited:

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
I refuse to pay something as essential and cultural as my kopitiam, with plastic. If I want any fanciness I switch to Setarbok.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore

The problem is often I forgot the kopitiam blue card (sharing it with the wife) and decided to go S11 instead for the 10% discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.