Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated its Apple Pay participating issuers list today with 95 additional banks, credit unions and financial institutions supporting the contactless payment service in the United States. Apple Pay now has over 750 participating issuers nationwide, and several more plan to support the NFC-based mobile payment service in the future.

TSB-Tesco-Bank.jpg
Apple Pay now supports Tesco Bank and TSB in the United Kingdom

Apple also added Apple Pay support for two larger financial institutions Tesco Bank and TSB in the United Kingdom. Tesco Bank, which began emailing customers about incoming Apple Pay support earlier this week, currently supports Apple Pay for its MasterCard credit cards, while TSB supports debit cards and MasterCard and AMEX credit cards.

H&R Block, a large tax planning, preparation, and filing company, highlights the complete list of new Apple Pay participating U.S. issuers. As a disclaimer, some smaller banks, credit unions and financial institutions listed may have already had support for the contactless payments service and are only now being reflected on Apple's website.

The full list of new Apple Pay participating issuers in the U.S. is ahead.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Supports Tesco Bank and TSB in U.K., Over 90 New U.S. Issuers

raydragon

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Raleigh NC
And still no (NC)SECU!

Edit: I spoke with a rep today, and was assured that they will be on board "shortly"; she just could not define "shortly". A big improvement over past "we are looking into the possibility" or even worse, "we have security concerns".

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
My bank in PA still doesn't support it. But we're in the boondocks here.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
TSB at last! Happy days :)

TSB also paying out 5% cashback for using Apple Pay on their credit cards.

"Get 5% cashback on your first £100 of Apple Pay spend each month using your existing TSB MasterCard or AMEX credit card, until December 2016 (subject to eligibility)"

That could be up to £5 each month which is better than nothing -

frosty001

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
You can thank me.
I tried to add my Tesco CC yesterday, and cursed them when it was 'not yet available'.
#truestory

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
More stores, like Walmart and Market Basket, need to accept it.

Ziosks need to accept it.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Quick question for others in the UK, does the text verification code option work for anyone? When I set up my Lloyds Bank card I had to call the number. Ive just set up my Tesco credit card and no text for this either, no matter how many times I chose the option. I cant see if the number is wrong because its starred out. Help.

EDIT: NEVERMIND CAME A FEW MINS LATER. ALL SET UP NOW.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
TSB at last! Happy days :)

TSB also paying out 5% cashback for using Apple Pay on their credit cards.

"Get 5% cashback on your first £100 of Apple Pay spend each month using your existing TSB MasterCard or AMEX credit card, until December 2016 (subject to eligibility)"

That could be up to £5 each month which is better than nothing -

Their 555 offer is good for a few other bits too:

http://www.tsb.co.uk/news-releases/tsb-launches-555/

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
More stores, like Walmart and Market Basket, need to accept it.

Ziosks need to accept it.

Agreed, I think the first few waves of bank support covered most users. The problem is, and has been, the lack of retailer support.

Even the ones that support it sometimes do a horrible job. Macy's is an example where I tried to use Apple Pay and at 2 different locations they told me it wasn't supported because their terminals weren't working.

Reactions: Banyan Bruce

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
More banks support it than Apple even lists, too: my bank is a medium-size chain across several states, and supports ApplePay, but has never been listed by Apple—because they don't directly issue their own credit cards. The card has their name and logo, I signed up in their branch, and the bill comes from them—but the fine print shows they are partnering with another bank to operate the card--one that is listed by Apple. (But listed with the name a little different—probably parent company vs. subsidiary, or something, but that's further confusion to make you think your bank isn't listed.)

So if you just assume your bank doesn't support it because it's never been listed, try adding it to ApplePay anyway! Or just call the phone number on the card and ask (when I did that before ApplePay was supported, they did at least tell me it was coming).

P.S. Weren't US retailers supposed to support Chip [and PIN] by this October (at least the Chip part!) or else assume a bunch of liability? What ever happened with that? I don't think I saw single store, small or large, gain new terminals this fall. Retailers don't need to "support Apple Pay" specifically, they just need modern terminals! I though Chip [and PIN] would cause a wave of upgrades, and NFC (including Apple Pay) would come along for the ride. Did the deadline extend again, or something?

(And if a small local retailer doesn't support Chip [and PIN] and the liability for fraud is now on them... does that mean if an employee steals my card # and uses it, I'm on the hook to pay for their purchases if the store/restaurant goes out of business and can't pay? Do I no now longer have the fraud protection of the big, stable credit card company to protect me? Just curious—my credit card # gets somehow stolen pretty much once a year...)

Last edited:

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Quick question for others in the UK, does the text verification code option work for anyone? When I set up my Lloyds Bank card I had to call the number. Ive just set up my Tesco credit card and no text for this either, no matter how many times I chose the option. I cant see if the number is wrong because its starred out. Help.

EDIT: NEVERMIND CAME A FEW MINS LATER. ALL SET UP NOW.

Glad you got it sorted in the end. My TSB and Tesco Bank cards worked fine with SMS verification on my iPhone and Apple Watch; when I added the TSB card to my iPad it wanted me to call them so have left it for now.

Have been using Apple Pay since July 14th (with Santander) but will use my TSB card more as Santander only offer 3% on contactless payments (capped at £3 monthly, ends February 2016) whilst TSB's is good thoughout the whole of 2016.

I'm hoping the new Ingenico terminals I spotted in my local Tesco Metro will mean stores outside of London are being prepared for contactless/Apple Pay.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I was surprised that Argos (UK) didn't accept Apple Pay, or any kind of contactless payment, when I went in to their shiny flagship store on Tottenham Court Road to buy the new Apple TV the other day.

Weren't they listed as one of Apple's launch partners when Apple Pay had it's UK launch?

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I think that the dam is breaking. I know that they got the big ones early on, but now the updates have 40+ US banks at each one.

The next post explains why:

More banks support it than Apple even lists, too: my bank is a medium-size chain across several states, and supports ApplePay, but has never been listed by Apple—because they don't directly issue their own credit cards. The card has their name and logo, I signed up in their branch, and the bill comes from them—but the fine print shows they are partnering with another bank to operate the card--one that is listed by Apple. (But listed with the name a little different—probably parent company vs. subsidiary, or something, but that's further confusion to make you think your bank isn't listed.)

This is especially true for credit unions: they outsource credit cards to a partner. Once the partner supports Apple Pay, all of their partners will be able to do so.

P.S. Weren't US retailers supposed to support Chip [and PIN] by this October (at least the Chip part!) or else assume a bunch of liability? What ever happened with that? I don't think I saw single store, small or large, gain new terminals this fall. Retailers don't need to "support Apple Pay" specifically, they just need modern terminals! I though Chip [and PIN] would cause a wave of upgrades, and NFC (including Apple Pay) would come along for the ride. Did the deadline extend again, or something?

No, it wasn't extended. The merchants are assuming liability for fraudulent use. I'm starting to see more chip readers in use: my local Lowe's store just started requiring me to insert my card, even though they have had the terminals for months. I'm seeing this in a lot of places: even though they HAVE terminals with chip readers, they aren't necessarily using them.

Other merchants have point-of-sale systems with an integrated mag-stripe reader, and I think they were caught napping. They can't just easily swap out a terminal. It may even be a supplier problem: they can't get an updated terminal because they can't be manufactured quickly.

Finally, the merchant's transaction processor may be assuming liability. An example is Square:

https://squareup.com/emv-liability-shift

Square doesn't yet ship an EMV chip reader, but you can reserve one now. If you do so, you can use their mag-stripe reader, and Square will cover liability for any fraud. But, you have to reserve their EMV chip reader to get that protection.

Do I no now longer have the fraud protection of the big, stable credit card company to protect me? Just curious—my credit card # gets somehow stolen pretty much once a year...)

No, the liability shift is to the merchant -- not to you. Your agreement with the credit card issue has not changed.

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
At Puerto Rico Apple Pay works perfectly but there is no local bank that support it yet. ;(

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006

(And if a small local retailer doesn't support Chip [and PIN] and the liability for fraud is now on them... does that mean if an employee steals my card # and uses it, I'm on the hook to pay for their purchases if the store/restaurant goes out of business and can't pay? Do I no now longer have the fraud protection of the big, stable credit card company to protect me? Just curious—my credit card # gets somehow stolen pretty much once a year...)

I remember for YEARS before chip & PIN came to Canada (I'm talking before I even knew such a thing existed) a lot of places had what I'm assuming were POS terminals that could physically accept chip cards. I remember always thinking I could insert and quickly remove my card from that slot instead of swiping down the side. Never did try though, and obviously wouldn't have worked. My point is that some of the terminals you've been encountering might actually be chip ready.

As for liability.. I don't think you were ever on the hook for fraudulent charges and that would still be the same today. Previously, if said employee stole your card details the issuer would be on the hook. Now, the merchant is on the hook. Not you!

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
And Sainsbury's! OMG!

btw: All the Tesco Express/Metro's around here (London) seem to take contactless, so I don't think it's just a few.

My local One Stop store has a contactless terminal; similarly my local Sainsbury's has the Ingenico IPP355 terminal which IS contactless capable (it's just disabled).

I had a survey from Sainsbury's Bank a few weeks ago banging on about card designs and they featured the contactless symbol so I'd hazard a guess and say that sometime next year we'll be using Apple Pay in store.

From my recollection Argos were an Apple Pay "launch partner" for the app itself; that's gone out of the window (for some reason) but they have integrated the option to have your reservation stored in the Wallet app.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I have a small amount of insight here in to a large nation-wide company that has chosen not to move forward with replacing their readers to be chip and pin compliant for the next year...

It's more expensive to replace the equipment across the organization than it is to eat the charge backs.

So it's an expense they're planning for in 2017 or so.

Plans change, of course, but I imagine a lot of large organizations are facing a similar decision.

Reactions: ptb42 and nagromme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.