Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you excited for Apple Pay to come to the UK?

• Total voters

work3d

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
London
I'm with Lloyds but couldn't wait so I went and signed up with Natwest, I'll transfer my lunch funds over to the Natwest account at the start of each week (Which will help me save also). I've been waiting for this feature since the iPhone 6 was announced, and even more when my watch was delivered.

Has anyone changed banks? Or am i just a little over excited?

Reactions: AppleFanBoy82

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Yes I'm looking forward to it. My bank is a launch partner, though on a chat to one of their staff members they said they suspect it won't launch until the end of month due to the lack of information they have on it.

I see no problem with people switching account for it. If Apple pay makes it easier for you to manage your money and pay for things then why not, after all isn't that what a bank is supposed to do?

AppleFanBoy82

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2015
Mexborough, UK
Yes I'm looking forward to it. My bank is a launch partner, though on a chat to one of their staff members they said they suspect it won't launch until the end of month due to the lack of information they have on it.

I see no problem with people switching account for it. If Apple pay makes it easier for you to manage your money and pay for things then why not, after all isn't that what a bank is supposed to do?

which bank was that then that said end of the month

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
which bank was that then that said end of the month
RBS, which is the same company as Natwest.

The guy on the online chat said that since they have had no new information then he would imagine it's launch would be towards the end of July. It was anything official, just an educated prediction.
This was late last week.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Glad it's happening annoyed that some terminals are limited to £20

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
It's great that my natwest account will use apple pay but Barclays is my pain bank and I hope they launch apple pay sooner rather than later.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I'm not really excited for it because it's just a payment system. I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about paying for things in a slightly different way. I honestly don't find paying with my debit card all that inconvenient enough to be excited by Apple Pay.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's not an improvement because it is, it's just not something to get excited about.

Apple Music on the other hand I am excited about. Having used iTunes for over a decade as my main music player being able to just play any song I want with just the nominal subscription price is exciting to me.

Reactions: Will22

work3d

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
London
I'm not really excited for it because it's just a payment system. I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about paying for things in a slightly different way. I honestly don't find paying with my debit card all that inconvenient enough to be excited by Apple Pay.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's not an improvement because it is, it's just not something to get excited about.

Apple Music on the other hand I am excited about. Having used iTunes for over a decade as my main music player being able to just play any song I want with just the nominal subscription price is exciting to me.

I've wanted to be able to pay with my mobile for years, when i had an android phone i tried to get Google Wallet working it just wouldn't have it.

Instead of rustling through my wallet trying to squeeze my card out between my Oyster card and others, either double clicking my watch or putting my phone next to the reader will be amazing. The £20 purchase limit is annoying though. That really does need to be removed.

And yes I'm very excited about Apple Music, basically the entire library for £9.99 and beats radio helping to find new music. It's a very good mix.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
i'm kind of excited to try it (on my 6) but probably won't be that excited for long. also i'm probably just a bit of a dummy but on some terminals in places you're unfamiliar with, it's not immediately clear if they take contactless card until the last moment when they're ready to take the payment... i'm usually a bit keen at check out and have my card ready to put in quite early, usually before they're ready for the payment, and it means sometimes i've used chip & pin when i could have used contactless as i realised too late. so for me adding a third option is just going to make me more nervous... do i need my phone or card out? etc....

work3d

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
London
Honestly I'm looking forward to getting rid of my wallet. Would also be amazing if I could add my Oyster card as one of the cards with my monthly travel card. The day you can leave your card and your cash at home will be a good day :)

Reactions: iSimx

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
will 5s still benefit from in-app apple pay?

I have a 5s. Yes, my understanding is that you can use it for in app purchases. I would love to have a list of supported apps though, I guess it's somewhere out there on the Internet.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I have a 5s. Yes, my understanding is that you can use it for in app purchases. I would love to have a list of supported apps though, I guess it's somewhere out there on the Internet.
There is a list on Apple's UK website of apps that will support it a launch. Also retailers will be able to support it in Safari as well.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The main issue is the amount of wireless terminals out there. Some of the big stores don't even have them yet.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I asked HSBC about this and they have no information yet to give.

I'm thinking we are going to see the 'hiccups' our friends across the pond had on this.

The last time I tried to use a contact less payment via my Debit Card the shop assistant didn't know what I was doing, didn't know if she had to do anything and didn't know if the machine was turned on.

I gave up and paid by cash.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Plenty of places will not have a limit.
The amount of places that will be limited to £20 will sharp decrease.

Are you sure about that?

I'm not excited about it because mainly because I very rarely spend less than £20 in one transaction. Breakfast I have at home, I can only wish that lunch cost £20 or less, I get my food shopping online and I don't buy junk food.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.