Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you excited for Apple Pay to come to the UK?

• Total voters

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Plenty of places will not have a limit.
The amount of places that will be limited to £20 will sharp decrease.

The 9to5Mac article which MacRumors used as the source for the story confirming the £20 limit says that most retailers will have the limit.

However, the usual £20 limit on contactless transactions does apply … for the time being. When Apple Pay launches in July, almost all merchants will only allow Apple Pay purchases up to £20

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Been able to do NFC payments from my phone for about three years now, so no. Apple were very very late with this.

AppleFanBoy82

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2015
Mexborough, UK
I have a 5s. Yes, my understanding is that you can use it for in app purchases. I would love to have a list of supported apps though, I guess it's somewhere out there on the Internet.
you can only use the 5s with apple pay if you pair it with an apple watch
Apple Pay.png

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Do we have a date in July for when this launches?

I've got a secondary Current Account (and Credit Card) with Santander; my default bank, Lloyds, won't be supporting Apple Pay just yet.

When I've enabled United States as my 'Region' under Settings and attempted to add my Visa Debit/MasterCard I hold with Santander it brings up the Terms and Conditions.

So I'm guessing it'll be in the first half of the month.

I am looking forward to it being rolled out in the UK; yes it's nothing new as I use contactless where I can but it'll be great to try it out.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I stand corrected.
It's because of the lack of the secure element which is part of the NFC chip I believe - found on an iP6, Air 2 and Watch but not the 5S.

My question is when will Apple Pay launch? They said July but it makes sense to enable it in the 8.4 update, surely? But I am very excited! Even though it's not too different from using a contactless card in KFC or Tesco or wherever, I'm looking forward to at least truing it out.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Anyone think this will launch today with Apple Music?

For natwest customers I think it will come with the 8.4 update because their app just updated today and users had to confirm their phone number with a code again. This is only done on big updates or when first using the app or reinstalling on a new iPhone etc. I think natwest are ready to go the moment apple software update comes.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
It will be a little while before I get on the Apple Pay Bandwagon (still 8 months on a 5S contract) - When I upgrade then I'll probably use, for now Card in iPhone Case does the same trick.

Browno01

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
For natwest customers I think it will come with the 8.4 update because their app just updated today and users had to confirm their phone number with a code again. This is only done on big updates or when first using the app or reinstalling on a new iPhone etc. I think natwest are ready to go the moment apple software update comes.
I've tried to add it on 8.3 until a few days ago, I used to get a message about accepting Natwest's T's&C's but now it just fails...

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I've tried to add it on 8.3 until a few days ago, I used to get a message about accepting Natwest's T's&C's but now it just fails...

well theres nothing in the release notes on 8.4 which I'm downloading now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.