Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I tried to add my Lloyds MasterCard, but it shows that I need to call Lloyds on the number provided to verify. Whether this is because it's a second card I'm adding to Apple Pay I'm unsure.

The M&S credit card was so simply to add, I just choose to verify by selecting to receive a code in a text message, pity Lloyds isn't as simple :mad:

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
I tried to add my Lloyds MasterCard, but it shows that I need to call Lloyds on the number provided to verify. Whether this is because it's a second card I'm adding to Apple Pay I'm unsure.

The M&S credit card was so simply to add, I just choose to verify by selecting to receive a code in a text message, pity Lloyds isn't as simple :mad:

This is Lloyds policy for the moment. I had the option to receive a text for my debit card but it never came through. There are two numbers: one for Visa Debit and one for Mastercard Credit.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
This is Lloyds policy for the moment. I had the option to receive a text for my debit card but it never came through. There are two numbers: one for Visa Debit and one for Mastercard Credit.

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow and get it sorted out.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

Similar on Halifax, my debit card had the call to activate or text to activate option but the credit card only had the call to activate option.

I'll probably do it tomorrow or Monday (having the credit card active isn't as important to me as the debit card).

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
So people are aware, Lloyds and Halifax are still having problems clearing verifications. I've been assured this will be dealt with (unlike certain other banks...)

Reactions: iGeek2014

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Used my Lloyds card in Co-Op. Worked lovely! I feel a bit behind the game, I said to the guy serving that it was "my first time" even though Apple Pay has been around for ages now.
You'll still find plenty of staff who haven't seen it, I'm still finding the looks of wonderment/confusion are outweighing the looks of "I'm used to that". Take outs/restaurants seem to be the most accepting (Pret, Costa,GBK) in my experience so far.

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
You'll still find plenty of staff who haven't seen it, I'm still finding the looks of wonderment/confusion are outweighing the looks of "I'm used to that". Take outs/restaurants seem to be the most accepting (Pret, Costa,GBK) in my experience so far.

Same thing happened to me in M&S yesterday while I was buying some lunch. Funny looks from the people in the queue behind me as well.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Lloyds worked brilliantly in Costa. Scanned from passbook to get my points and then double clicked the button to bring up my Visa card and held it over the terminal. One ping and haptic vibration later and all done. Took less than 10 seconds from start to finish.
The staff took it all in their stride but the looks from customers in the queue was priceless

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I'm finding that with some terminals (card readers) in the UK, though they show the contactless symbol, don't work for ApplePay. It's kinda embarrassing when you have to pull out your card after trying like a goon to pay with your watch.

I thought ALL contactless terminals should work (up to the 20 quid or whatever) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I'm finding that with some terminals (card readers) in the UK, though they show the contactless symbol, don't work for ApplePay. It's kinda embarrassing when you have to pull out your card after trying like a goon to pay with your watch.

I thought ALL contactless terminals should work (up to the 20 quid or whatever) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

They should all work, if they are contactless they are ApplePay compliant. I would presume it's a faulty terminal, but some retailers are still having problems, for example, I spoke to a manager a KFC and he said they are having general problems with all contactless, every so often the whole system falls over.

Where are you seeing the problems?

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Anyone have feedback on Starbucks transactions? For such a massive company - and being a UK launch partner - their tech in the stores around me is abysmal. There are 5 in my vicinity and only 1 even takes contactless let alone any sort of mention of Apple Pay.

Co-op, however, have gone all out!

Reactions: johnalan

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Anyone have feedback on Starbucks transactions? For such a massive company - and being a UK launch partner - their tech in the stores around me is abysmal. There are 5 in my vicinity and only 1 even takes contactless let alone any sort of mention of Apple Pay.

Yeah co op have done it right. Man Starbucks sucks. In London EAT has better coffee.

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
I've used mine in a few places now:

Co-Op
Starbucks
Costa

And this evening, Burger King. The look the dude in BK gave me was priceless. Just wish the Tescos around here would upgrade their card machines. Seems weird that arguably the biggest supermarket in the UK is lagging behind on its tech.

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I've used mine in a few places now:

Co-Op
Starbucks
Costa

And this evening, Burger King. The look the dude in BK gave me was priceless. Just wish the Tescos around here would upgrade their card machines. Seems weird that arguably the biggest supermarket in the UK is lagging behind on its tech.

Yeah I was thinking about this- the thing is that Tesco has a lot more card machines to upgrade than, for example, the cooperative so it naturally follows the Tesco will take longer to roll out. PS I still dislike Tesco.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I'm still waiting for Sainsbury's to make the jump. It's super annoying!

So far I've used Apple Pay at Costa dozens of times without any problems, but I've experienced glitches at Co-op, Boots and McDonalds. It's difficult to figure out what goes wrong, because my phone detects the transaction and then says "Done", and the transaction is listed in my wallet.

However, in each case where it has failed, the terminal just sits there, awaiting payment. At McDonalds I repeated the Apple Pay about four times, each one saying "Done" and listed under recent transactions, but nothing went through.

Also, my primary card is an Amex, and Apple Pay will say the same thing even if that card isn't accepted. I've done that at a couple of places, and ended up asking the cashier. Fortunately I have a debit card in my wallet so I just swiped to switch cards and the Apple Pay went through.

Very cool system but boy, it needs work. Some kind of error detection on the phone would be good. I've ended up checking card statements to make sure those multiple transactions didn't actually go through!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I haven't used ApplePay in Starbucks that much. Maybe once or twice. I have a Starbucks card on my app which I top up and use that with my watch or phone as it gives me rewards.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
The new Tesco express in Grand Central Birmingham accepts contactless and Apple pay, as far as I know this is one of the first outside of London. Perhaps they're finally rolling it out across their stores!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.