Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Mac Otakara, Japanese firm ACCESS today announced [Google translation] that Apple has agreed to license a set of patents related to Palm's smartphone technology. ACCESS acquired the patents when it purchased PalmSource in 2005.

ACCESS notes that the portfolio of patents, which was licensed to Samsung in 2011, includes intellectual property from Palm, PalmSource, Bell Communications Research, and Geoworks.

access_banner.jpg
The press release from ACCESS indicates that it will record roughly 1 billion yen ($10 million) in revenue for the quarter as part of the deal, which closed on March 31. ACCESS will evaluate the impact of the deal on the following quarter and full fiscal year and will revise its earnings forecast appropriately.

Article Link: Apple Pays at Least $10 Million to License Palm-Related Patents From ACCESS

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
doesn't specifically said what kind of patent apple is buying, which makes me curious.

but 10 million dollar for the patent must be an important one.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
doesn't specifically said what kind of patent apple is buying, which makes me curious.

but 10 million dollar for the patent must be an important one.

They are not even buying they are licensing for that amount.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Palm developed the first popular handheld tablets and smartphones that sold millions of devices, years before the iPhone (but after the Newton). Thus Palm patented tons of stuff in that area.

Lots of mobile app developers started out doing apps for PalmOS. PilotGear/PalmGear was the big app Store.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Remember when this was awesome?

I kind of miss palm. I still have my Tungsten E.

Definitely miss them! My Tungsten was awesome but my Sony Clies were always a bit sketchy though. But my Treos with PalmOS were brilliant! Had several models through the years and they all were excellent - and all had great battery life! :D

----------

Apple should just buy them, then revoke the licenses from Samsung.

:rolleyes: Awesome.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands

I loved my palms... started with a IIIe, moved on to a Vx and I've still got my T|X somewhere although sadly while the device itself should still work the charger (and thus the battery) both died several years ago...

Last edited:

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010

That thing still is awesome. I still use my Tapwave Zodiac to play some games (mainly LJP) and Zire 72S (though not so much my Zire anymore).

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX

*sigh* My last Palm was a Treo 650. I was so excited back then. It just never cut it for me in practice. Oh well. At least I have an iPhone now.

<no stalgia>

----------

Palm developed the first popular handheld tablets and smartphones that sold millions of devices, years before the iPhone (but after the Newton). Thus Palm patented tons of stuff in that area.

Lots of mobile app developers started out doing apps for PalmOS. PilotGear/PalmGear was the big app Store.

But *after* the Newton, which is of such tremendous significance in my view that it is painful that it is overlooked. When I first read the main article I was like "why doesn't Apple just *buy* the flipping company?!?"

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
When I first read the main article I was like "why doesn't Apple just *buy* the flipping company?!?"

I'm guessing there might be some anti-competitive issue or something like that, especially if other companies are currently licensing the patents.

I'm really curious what they are. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything my old Palms could do that I would really want back.

I did like my BlackBerry Curve's auto dimming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.