Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alsjeblaft

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Wow, really? That's awesome! Might pick up this enclosure then, hard to go wrong at that price. Especially since I could simply move the SSD to a T-bolt enclosure if/when one becomes available in the future.

Thanks!

Edit: Apparently bootcamp is not working on a similar USB 3.0 UASP enclosure so I might have to look into that first. :(

Last edited:

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
I ordered one one as well from applecomponents.com and will report back. The description and photo both indicate the PCIe flex cable are included, so I am hoping it's real.

Ive also started to see some pop up on eBay as well, suspiciously with the same grainy photo as the above website. Perhaps they are selling around the world.

Either way I'll report back when/if I receive it.

I am happy to report that I received the part from Applecomponents and it is the real deal-it's an entire HDD bracket with the SSD PCIe connector attached to the top. I connected it to the PCIe SSD connector on a 2014 Mini, plugged in a 256GB Apple SSD, and it booted right up perfectly.

I had considered just trying to remove the SSD cable from the bracket and just attach it to the existing bracket in my Mini. This would save a considerable amount of disassembly, but I found the cable seems a bit fragile and is attached with high strength glue, so I did not want to risk tearing the cable and just replaced the entire drive bracket, completely disassembling the computer in the process.

Note that the 2.9mm T5 screw to hold down the other end of the SSD is *not* included-there are threads to accept the screw, but does anyone know where to get one of these screws? All the usual sources don't seem to have it.

P00t

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
Nottingham UK
Sorry to ask this, but can anyone confirm if I can just add my own flex to any of the new Mac Mini's for a PCIE SSD?

What I'm trying to say is if all the logic boards have the socket, been trying to confirm.

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
Sorry to ask this, but can anyone confirm if I can just add my own flex to any of the new Mac Mini's for a PCIE SSD?

What I'm trying to say is if all the logic boards have the socket, been trying to confirm.

Yes this is exactly what I have done. The Mini I am working on is the middle-level model with a 1TB HDD. I added an Apple SSD with the above part, connecting to the previously unused PCIe connector on the logic board. As far as I know all the 2014 Mini logic boards have this socket. No guarantee this will be the case going forward, but I suspect it will be there as long as they sell these models, as it gives them flexibility for CTO orders with SSD or Fusion Drive without having to stock a separate logic board.

P00t

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
Nottingham UK
Yes this is exactly what I have done. The Mini I am working on is the middle-level model with a 1TB HDD. I added an Apple SSD with the above part, connecting to the previously unused PCIe connector on the logic board. As far as I know all the 2014 Mini logic boards have this socket. No guarantee this will be the case going forward, but I suspect it will be there as long as they sell these models, as it gives them flexibility for CTO orders with SSD or Fusion Drive without having to stock a separate logic board.

Thanks very much for that, I was looking at all the teardowns, but most used the ones with PCIE SSD's, so I couldn't compare if they had the sockets on all boards.

Thanks again.

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Ok So I have the Part Pictured ..
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0920.jpg

Rather than take the whole logic board out to replace the carrier I choose to try and remove the cable using a hairdryer (as suggested ) to loosen the glue and removed the cable..
IMG_0921.jpg

Picture with SSD fitted
IMG_0923.jpg

Popped the bottom
IMG_0924.jpg

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
removed the 6 torx security screws.
IMG_0925.jpg

and fitted the SSD and Cable (the re-assembled in reverse) Took no more the 4 or 5 mins..
IMG_0927.jpg

Booted the Mac Mini using a USB (could have used Internet recovery) .The mac offered to repair the fusion drive. and formatted both drives then offered to set them up in fusion . (which I accepted) .. I then built from the USB (could use IR) and then restored my settings from time machine.
IMG_0930.jpg
Screen Shot 1.jpg

Getting about 320MB/s Writes and 700MB/s reads, which I believe is normal on a fusion of this type and small SSD

Hope the small Guide helps..

Reactions: iMidway

P00t

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
Nottingham UK
Awesome, thanks for posting Scoob.

I'm struggling to find the right SSD's for mine, I'm seeing quite a few versions on eBay, can anyone verify fully compatible drives somehow?

My plan was to use it for the OS and use the spinner for storage.

128GB would do for me, but if it's only a £20 difference, I'd go for a 256GB.

Would appreciate some help.

Last edited:

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Awesome, thanks for posting Scoob.

I'm struggling to find the right SSD's for mine, I'm seeing quite a few versions on eBay, can anyone verify fully compatible drives somehow?

My plan was to use it for the OS and use the spinner for storage.

128GB would do for me, but if it's only a £20 difference, I'd go for a 256GB.

Would appreciate some help.

You need to ensure it is PCie firstly . The Mid 2013 macbook airs / pro's had these I believe , previously SATA drives. Mine is made by Sandisk, Samsung also produce for apple. The PCIE are shorter than the SATA

I believe these are dual channel and 4 channel are available for Mac Pro.. (Maybe Wrong with that)

Top one is and far right is the one you want ..

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

P00t

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
Nottingham UK
Thanks Scoob, you rock.

I've found some I think, mostly outside the UK, so they're costly.

I also noticed some don't label them as PCIe versions, so some might be missing out on details like that to push sales.

My 2014 arrived about 3 hours ago, still haven't opened it yet lol

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011

Cant see a reason why it wouldn't .. Its not the most cost effective route. I only went this way as I had a spare SSD already, and it would be handy for upgrades after the purchase.
As mentioned previously if you dont mind an external drive, I found a USB3.0 UASP SSD a cheap way of giving my 2014 MAC a fusion drive, and making it far faster, for approx same cost as I paid for the PCie Flex Cable !! lol

jod1921

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks scoobdriver

I'm getting ready to do my install and wondering what 3 screws you used to hold down the ssd

jod1921

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks scoob

It asked for fusion just like you said. It was a very easy install. I'm getting 475 writes and 735 reads. It rocks.......

fpenna2

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015
scoob

Excellent news glad it may have helped a little..

1) Im pretending to buy a new mac mini 2014 and was wondering if is not a better ideia to order it with a 1tb fusion drive (and comes with pcie cable) and add a spare Samsung 850 SSD 1tb EVO that a have here sitting down at the sata space that might be empty.
So i can buy later a OEM 256gb SSD from macbook air to add to the Pcie and have only operational system on it and Samsung SSD for storage. I would have a "fusion" with 2 SSD drives (256 SSD + Samsung SSD 1tb). Will works?
Is that a good approach or you have a better solution?

2) Won't be a good idea to wait until next mini release that might be in ?March/April with quad core and maybe they have that configuration i suggest OEM? Just want to use my samsung 1tb that is sitting down here.

i appreciate your help...

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
1) Im pretending to buy a new mac mini 2014 and was wondering if is not a better ideia to order it with a 1tb fusion drive (and comes with pcie cable) and add a spare Samsung 850 SSD 1tb EVO that a have here sitting down at the sata space that might be empty.
So i can buy later a OEM 256gb SSD from macbook air to add to the Pcie and have only operational system on it and Samsung SSD for storage. I would have a "fusion" with 2 SSD drives (256 SSD + Samsung SSD 1tb). Will works?
Is that a good approach or you have a better solution?

2) Won't be a good idea to wait until next mini release that might be in ?March/April with quad core and maybe they have that configuration i suggest OEM? Just want to use my samsung 1tb that is sitting down here.

i appreciate your help...

1., that would perhaps be the most cost effective way in the long run if you want PCIe on top of Sata SSD (Pcie will have a speed benefit, may or may not be humanly noticable)
The fusion drive is already made up of a 128GB pcie SSD and 1TB Sata HDD so not sure if you would benefit greatly from changing it to 256GB ?
The Evo SSD wont natively support TRIM if that bothers you ..

2. No idea lol

fpenna2

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2015
1., that would perhaps be the most cost effective way in the long run if you want PCIe on top of Sata SSD (Pcie will have a speed benefit, may or may not be humanly noticable)
The fusion drive is already made up of a 128GB pcie SSD and 1TB Sata HDD so not sure if you would benefit greatly from changing it to 256GB ?
The Evo SSD wont natively support TRIM if that bothers you ..

2. No idea lol

Tks.

Are you sure on that TRIM issue on a EVO SSD?
Even if i use a kind of trim enabler like this?
http://www.groths.org/software/trimenabler/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.