Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainless

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2001
I agree with all those people crying for Apple Subnotebook or PDA. I need one too !
Hope Apple learned enough from the success of iPod and will reenter the arena. My favorite will be more of subnotebook than PDA. Something like OQO (http://www.oqo.com), big screen, no keyboard but bluetooth and low consumption PowerPC (or Crusoe) running MacOS X int the form factor similar to iPod. Can be turn into workstation at home by plugging in monitor and keyboard, or used on the move with bluetooth keyboard and phone.
Makes a lot of sense IMHO as such product is clearly lacking in Apple's portfolio. iBook is still too big.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by Nipsy
I built it just for you:
pda.jpg

On a more serious note if Apple does a device, it won't have a laser pointer, a camera, or a massive screen. These are niche items, clumsy add ons, or poor substitutes for other devices.

They are far more likely to build out the iPod to include phone and pda funtionality, in a similarly sized device (this is one device my golden pocket clutter killing dream).

The iPod has a DSP, a hard drive, contact and calendar features, an OS, audio out, and a damn good battery. To become a PDA, it needs an input mechanism. To become a phone, it needs a mic and an antenna (and some telephony software).

So, add a mic, and antenna (headphone cable), and a pen sensitve screen, and you've got the iPDAPhonePod. Not likely in this market, but not impossible in the future.

It may happen yet, but it will be a while.

Good lord, what is that thing on the top? It looks like an iBrator (another device Apple is as likely to make as the iPDA)

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
It's a CueCat. They were given out by Radio Shack some time ago, used for merketing and stuff. If you use it to scan the right type of barcode, it would take you to a products web site.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by crazy_will
It's a CueCat. They were given out by Radio Shack some time ago, used for merketing and stuff. If you use it to scan the right type of barcode, it would take you to a products web site.

I don't have a laser pointer, but I was hoping the red led from the CueCat would show up in the photo as a pretend 'laser pointer'.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Cue Cat? I still say you didn't build an Apple PDA, you built the ultimate multifunction iBrator. (Pictures, mood music, black book pda, + phone)

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
Nipsy !!!

You debil !!

LOL !

It's beautimous !!!!

But, how do I launch the missiles ?

:p

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
Somebody,

The large pic I saw in the Clié at the store had more than enough detail to read an 8.5" X 11" page if one could zoom in.

At any rate - if a humble EyeModule2 can
handle 640X480 full VGA JPEG's with my Prism's 160X160 screen at $99,
don't you think Clié will better that in the next sw release ?
I don't have a Clié to play with a lot, so I can't be sure.

My EyeModule2 Springboard for my Visor Prism does a great job of the detail. -
It is only a software issue that , in spite of the great interface of the module,
it will not zoom and it's database clumps all pics as one file that requires EyeSplit for me to load them separately into AcidImage for a beautiful zoom
view. Apple could write these features more elegantly... easily.

Originally posted by Somebody
I'm looking at the top-of-the-line Clie (specifically, the PEG-NR70V, at http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/micros/clie/models/70V.html), now, and having a hard time seeing how it would meet the need you describe. The camera it includes only has 100,000 effective pixels (i.e. 0.1 megapixel, or images about 360x270). This resolution seems far too low to effectively capture the text of a document of any size; you could only capture a small chunk of 10pt text with an image that size, a fraction of the text that you might find on an 8.5x11 piece of paper. Sure you could take multiple photos and stitch them together later when you're at the computer, but that sounds terribly tedious to me.

Also, pixel resolution doesn't tell the whole story. You also need a lens system that can effectively resolve a very fine level of detail; It's extremely difficult to make such a lens that will be an appropriate size for a pocket device that will also have the resolving power you need for document capture. So it's not just a matter of cramming a higher-resolution CCD into the thing.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by mcrain
Cue Cat? I still say you didn't build an Apple PDA, you built the ultimate multifunction iBrator. (Pictures, mood music, black book pda, + phone)

I ran it over to Jonathan Ive's office, and he cleaned up the design some, new image is above.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
Nipsy,

My laser pointer (even without a "crisp" power setting)
is incredibly helpful in teaching math to extremely hyper
and unruly kids. When I get my little raptors quiet and I need
to get the attention of one without rousing the others, I
just put a red dot on his desktop or book, and he looks up
without the others noticing. When I am busy with one
questioner, at my desk, and another kid is misaligning the
numerals of his division, at the board, I sweep a red, vertical
line over the numerals, and they always fix the alignment
instantly and without wordy confusion. I demo constant speed
vs. acceleration on the wall, use it in games, to break the
tension, etc. .... and, with a "crisp" setting, I could resolve discipline
issues in no time at all.

Couldn't you have built a little laser into
your Grand Agglomeration XL unit ??? I just saw an ad
for one in a magazine- $4.00 --- maybe an after-market stylus laser ?

MisterBlack

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2002
OK EVERYONE.

DON'T PANIC.

I DON'T WANT TO ALARM ANY ONE

but

i HAVE THE NEW APPLE PDA !

It is the size of a pack of cigarettes and has a wireless remote control in the form of glasses, controlled by the movement of your pupils. If you already have glasses you can trade in the Glasses Remote for the Glasses Addon Remote Clip for no extra charge.
It is an MP3 player, notepad, digital camera, digital phone, digital media center, internet terminal, handheld video game unit, GPS, encyclopedia, eBook, wacom tablet, surround sound audio reciever, vibrating back massager with a velcro attachment tube for Pringles potato chips.

It has a 4" color screen that has a paperlike FOLD OUT option to make it a 21" WIDESCREEN display with MILLIONS of COLORS.
It has a 1 tb hard drive, and bluetooth connectivity. Optional Loot Mode will download all the music of any Apple computer it is within 100 yards of.
It uses the earth's magnetic field to float 3', 4' or 5' (you can select which in software) off the ground while not in sleep mode.

It holds all your contacts, phone messages, calender info with important dates, appointments and recent conversations. It updates all of these things automatically in real time as you receive the information through your desktop, laptop or bluetooth enabled cell phone.

You can speak into it and it will translate your speech into audio in one of a dozen languages. It is also waterproof, for casual use in the shower or professional deep sea research/exploration applications.

It has high speed wireless internet access anywhere in the world that also allows me to use the cell phone and gps features. When the screen is folded out, you can use the unit to play games online. When the makers of Tribes heard about this device, they made a special Tribes port to run on Macs, and more specifically, this. I can file share and instant message people on it too.

The device also features support for hardware addons. I can hook up a CD burner to the firewire port and burn music directly off the MP3 player. Similarly, I can also hook up external hard drives to the unit and copy off data for backup. I can hook up my external DVD drive to it for movies. It also has multiple monitor support, as well as support for a traditional keyboard/mouse setup.

It has the ability to play both AM/FM and TV signals. HBO still costs extra.

Due to its revolutionary Lego-like construction, hardware upgrades have been coming out as often as software upgrades, and are free.

I'll post again once i've downloaded and replicated the new iSeat floating chair addon. I hear it uses the same electromagnetic wave differential as the original iFloat hover module, except it has the ability to hold 10-15 times the weight.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
Somebody,

Below is my first attempt to attach a pic in this site.

It is from my EyeModule2 resting flat on a book a few inches from an 8" X 11.5"
printout .

Set to 640 X 480 /brighten/ timer=5 sec.

Zoom in with your desktop.

My Visor can zoom with AcidImage after EyeSplit isolates the pic from the BurkeDB.

The docs I shoot have larger print + handwritting -- this is a worse-case challenge
and it is still legible enough for me to zoom-view and key the info into my db.

Also - Minox spy cameras had document lenses in the 1940's -- it is not a big deal.

I just know Sony (and Apple ! ) can improve on this.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by insidedanshead
I am so sick of the PDA rumors. Steve Jobs said apple WILL NOT venture into that market.. if steve says something isn't going to happen. it ISN"T going to happen. The PDA market is NOT something you want apple to get into... they will fail. Apple.. concentrate your efforst on powermachines.. and people.. no more PDA threads.. ugh

gawd. I couldn't agree more. The PDA market is a niche market
that would be bad for apple to get into. I really hope apple doesn't
make a PDA because they are going to have to boost their other
prices to make up for the lack of sales on the PDAs.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
I am so sick of the PDA rumors. Steve Jobs said apple WILL NOT venture into that market.. if steve says something isn't going to happen. it ISN"T going to happen.

I have only a few things to say to this comment.

Steve was quoted as saying something to the effect that the lcd iMac was the death of the crt monitor. Not long after Apple released the eMac which as most people know has a crt monitor.

Also when Steve killed the Newton he publicly stated that Apple would release a new product to take it's place about a year later. They, of course, did not.

People's minds and decisions can change.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
the market shows we don't want pda's

Keep in mind that the market only shows the data that was collected. It really depends on what is defined as a pda. I can see Apple releasing a device that they define as not a pda but the rest of the industry does.

When you get down to it though such a device at this point now is going to be more difficult than it would have been even a year ago. You've got Palms on the lowend in terms of cost. PocketPC's and Palms next with Sony Palms and PocketPC's above that. Next comes more PocketPC's and then the recent TabletPC. I'd say that things point to Apple focusing on challenging the TabletPC market which could carry some pda-like functions. The two biggest challenges here will be cost and battery life. I know Apple could handle getting the features attractive but those other two would be the real problem.

im done here. instead of wasting your time antagonizing a fellow mac user.. go spend your time trying to switch someone over..

Let it go. Even new folks here have a right to express themselves here as long as they're not making personal insults and spamming threads. What's the big deal? Are you not going to send him a xmas card now? ;)

Somebody

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2002
NYC
gooddog:

Okay, I was wrong on the document capture front. The image you posted was hard to read, but certainly not illegible.

But I still think that a heavily multi-functioned PDA is going to be a nonstarter in the marketplace. Sure, it will be useful to you, and to some other people. But I honestly doubt that many people have such a broad array of needs as yours. For people who don't have such needs, something simpler, cheaper, and more elegant will will be more desirable. And for many who do have such needs, carrying multiple more specialized devices will be a better solution than an all-in-one. For someone who already carries a compact 2MP digital camera around, camera functionality in a PDA isn't much of a selling point.

Also, if the iPod is any indication of Apple's design philosophy for small mobile devices, that philosophy is pretty clearly "do one thing, and do it well". The iPod is a fantastic MP3 player, but that's all it really is. Yeah, it can be used as a portable HD, and it offers some simple PIM features, but these functions are just garnishes, and would have been left out if their inclusion had detracted in any way from the iPod's utility as an MP3 player (e.g. by requiring a change to the physical interface). So you probably shouldn't count on seeing your über-PDA from Apple.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
Somebody,

I think Handspring had the right idea --modularity--, even though they claim the modules didn't sell. The new,smaller modules will remedy the clunkiness.

Enough of the most wanted types would be available immediately.

The rest would come later... spread the risk out over time --
and make it all open to module developers.

If they are made available at good prices and in a timely fashion (unlike the much-delayed Springboards) we could use a multi-port attachment to install most of what I want.

A shell that adds 50% to the thickness of any elegant Apple PDA (and the Newton was huge) would easily accomodate several of today's tiny card-like modules along with a good power source. The ipod-like front would present the GUI in style.

Bluetooth might let the phone just stay in the briefcase anyway.

For that elegant, hyper-slim, overdressed crowd --- just disconnect the back shell, pop on a thin mother-of-pearl cover in it's place and go on to that theatre engagement.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
I agree to a point with

"one thing done well" .

But it is not the only market.

Work AND play is a more realistic model of our lives

- and we NEED relief at WORK now.

The rockin' dudes and vacationing flash poppers are well catered to.

Teachers, professors, waitresses, medical workers, police, clerks, salespersons,
all together represent a very large and well-paid market who are mostly forced, by
indolent administrators, to make do with Windoze trash if anything at all.

Some people may lead double lives --- take the unit to work 9-5, then get prettied up for the fancy date in the evening. I can see the ad campaign already -- can't you?
The straight-laced attorney or doctor running through a hectic day saved by the PDA walks out at day's end, removes some work apparel and transforms into a gorgeous cool person --
Near at hand, the animated PDA mirrors (her/his) stripN'switch moves and is smoothly slipped into a pocket by the model...

"All work and all play ... the Apple way"

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
why would you want to have SM?? SM sucks, its dead, the media is fragile, and its capacity is very small. CF is much better and SD kicks ass also. In fact, flash on a pda? dude, what are you smoking, this thread should go into the garbage section. Sorry but, this post comes from someone who knows nothing of PDAs and has never used a High Power PDA like a PocketPC or a Sony Clie/Palm Tungsten. Those are the features you want in a PDA not the ones you mention.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
You can rip the $50 128-MEG SM card from my cold, dead fingers and from my megapix Fujifilm and from my MemPlug module, and from a dozen other devices --- if the other stuff you mention are really better... fine with me.

I just like the price, size, and interchangeability of SM.

I know a little more than nothing about PDA's -- use mine every day -- 3years now.

I have been shown the "high-power" stuff you mentioned by their owners.

Speed performance is not DRAMATICALLY better. Neither is RAM. And in Handspring's
case, the features and the fit-N-finish went down.

Some (Clié and Tungsten) are nice, but just not dramatically better than the last
generation machines.

Progress in PDA's is WAY too s...l...o...w.

Compare the jump Apple made with the FP iMac with SuperDrive.

The more PDA's can do, the more often they come out of the pocket, the more kinds of buyers take notice, the more sales.

BUT -- ALL FUNCTIONS MUST BE ADVERTISED CONTINUALLY !

Ads showing MANY clever uses ...

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
FYI Handsprings SpringBoard technology is just a larger version of CF. CF can do much more then SpringBoards can because guess what? more people support CF. SM SUCKS, its incredibly fragile and SD is much smaller. CF is also much more durable and you can get 1gb CF cards for pretty cheap. Youve used a Visor for 4 years? that meaans nothing to me. Ive had 5 different PDAs, a bunch of palms and 2 pocketpcs. youve been shown the "high-power" stuff ehh?? hahaah, yeah, stuff, wow, thats very vague thank you very much. SPeed Performance is not DRAMATICALLY better??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? what are you smoking, show me your visor playing Quake II. how is progress in PDA's WAY TOO SLOW?!??! look at pocketpcs. They update every 3-4 months with tons and tons of new features. and your defintion of progress is some kind of start trek device. PocketPCs now use 400mhz Processors and they have video chipsets with 64mb RAM and 48mb ROM. They also are becoming incredibly thin with 14+ hour battery lifes(same with the new palms now BTW). they have everything you want in fact. You can easily get a CF card camera. MP3? that comes built in. Memory? get a dual slot pocketpc and put a 1gb CF card and 1gb SD card into it. Power? what do you want, is a 400mhz processor not enough?

tell me, how biug was the jump apple made with the FP iMac? it s not as big as YOU think(granted it was big)

The More PDA's can do? get a ****ing tablet PC, if you want a PDA that gives you 1 hour of battery life then fine, have yourself that imaginary PDA that you want. but you personally know nothing about PDAs dude. you idealize the situation too much.

BTW how old are you?

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
The biggest problem I see with the stuff you mention is that it makes the users
play games on them too often and, that, in turn, causes them to become frenetic
hysterics who lose their PDA's.

Over time, the user loses all subtleness regarding his more Freudian apprehensions
which he associates with everyday, unrelated objects and begins to present his "wares", such as they are, at inappropriate times and in belligerent ways. Unable to compensate, he declines. Extensive use of stimulants and synthetic steroids accelerate the mental decline and social ineptitude of the advanced cases. Eventually, they wrap their SUV around a phone pole or beat themselves to death with a chair, in a moment of self doubt.

How can both

*pocket pee_C's have all I want*,

and

*all I want is impossible and sci-fi*

be true simultaneously ?

In any case (and don't go for the chair yet) we don't want to play that game thing...

nor do we want to pay $600 .

We don't wish to invade Poland with you either.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
umm... no, pocketpcs cost only $200-500 for the new ones. and mind you the new $200/300 pocketpcs are REALLY REALLY REALLY nice BTW.

and FYI you are a child.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
For the less incendiary readers ,

WHY CAN'T APPLE DO ONE FOR US ?

(Or must I buy a Windoze emulator ?)

If you go to

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/ipaq/5400/5400-3.htm

and check out the hp H5450, you will see that it will have TONS of features

including FOUR wireless modalities and

FINGERPRINT READER for security.

It has voice record, mp3, and tons of memory of all sorts with 14 hr. batt'

that (as I ask) is user-replaceable and recharges in the USB cradle.
Still, I'd like an empty batt' case where I can put my own AA rechrgeables or Alkalines in an emergency.

It has phone built-in too.

The screen is practically 16 X 9 , it seems, with high resolution.

All it lacks (BUILT-IN) seems to be a cool camera like Clié has., pointer, and motion

sensor.

The motion sensor can double as a proximity alarm : if the PDA is moved

from where you left it to turn your back or answer the door or stop a fight ...

the motion is sensed as a movement in the field of view -- having toggled the alarm

feature ON in addition to the pict-snap-email feature ... I hear my baby screaming for help.

This camera with screw-on lenses can be added modularly -- but I'd rather have it built in...

...with a built-in pointer for one-handed presentations from the PDA via Bluetooth to digital projector (these often involve not only the computer screen, but wall posters etc. whence the need to point...very minor addition - extremely useful-trust me!)

gooddog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
JDAM,

FYI ...I know they are expensive. Yawn...

But ...evidently...it is quite possible to have all the features I ask for without

all the artificial calamities and hurdles that skeptics conjure up.

The laser is a negligible expense that yields extreme utility -- well worth it, and

speeds up alignment of documents for snap. ... $4 cost max.

A built-in camera seems more secure to me than a CF module..

The motion sensor/alarm feature already exists in Pen cameras .. big deal.

The H5450 will be ALMOST complete.

The idea is to tap a HUGE non-yuppie, non-teenrocker, but rather middle-class work force market who R E A L L Y need these features for instant multi-media DATA GATHERING IN STRESSFUL ENVIRONMENTS.

You should see my co-workers drool over just my little Prism/EyeModule2 and ask for buying info as they shuffle away with a mountain of papers in their arms !

Anyway, I'd rather have an Apple version of it than have to install Virtual PC in my
otherwise clean iMac just to use the H5450....but I might do just that if Apple won't
smell the coffee.

Handhelds are a MOST IMPORTANT part of the "DIGITAL HUB" -- not a niche.

Thanks for the "child" compliment. Now, give us a big kiss :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.