Apple PDA Rumors

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jun 23, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

This AsiaBizTech article discusses Apple's use of Taiwan for outsourcing products, including production of the eMac and Powerbooks. They also revive Apple PDA rumors with this comment:

Separately, Apple is seeking production of personal digital assistants (PDAs) and some computer peripherals, such as its wireless communications access points, namely airports, in Taiwan.

2. macrumors 68000

3. macrumors 603

I think that it's great that we are going to see newer iMacs and eMacs, since they would most likely be much faster.

I also noticed that the article refered to the display of the eMac as a flat CDT, not a flat CRT. Just pointing that out.

As for the PDA rumor, eye, you might want to switch to heavy medication to get you through the day! :D

Attached Files:

4. As Seen on TV (apple.com/switch)

damon

See, now, this is interesting. There's a collective sigh every time this rumor comes around, and of course the vibe from Apple is "Great, they're buying it... suckers!" But here's the thing. If Apple truly did release a sleak PDA, with their OS, that worked seamlessly with their products, wouldn't each and everyone of us take a serious look at it? I, for one, would be thrilled to move beyond MS lackluster support for the Palm conduit. Pipe dreams? Maybe. But I loved my Newton and... well... I think it'd be like coming home again.

5. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

:eek: eeeps! Mr. Damon! Do you know what you just did? You have just summoned EYELIKEART.. A MODERATOR.. to a duel! AHHHHH! Help!!! Everybody take cover! Women and children first! AHHHHH!!!!

:p

Okay, to get to the point.. yes, it would be interesting to see the the Newton back.. but do you think it will work? Now? With Palm and the Pocket PC people? Hell, I would buy it... but...

irmongoose

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 6502a

jadam

yeah, but GREAT, I just bought a PocketPC and now Apple wants to come out with a PDA... this sux.... But then again, i love my PocketPC...

8. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Serious look? I would buy it... sight unseen. That's how much I liked my previous Apple PDA (Newton).

I know the Apple PDA rumor is a bit "overdone" - in that it comes up every few months...

but I think it's a sign of the interest in such a device. we'll see. At this point I don't know what the best direction would be for Apple to create a handheld... Palm OS? Proprietary OS?

arn

9. macrumors member

Have you seen this?

http://home.no.net/macosx/Xpalm.mp4

its a straaaaaaange video of someone running what looks like a smaller version of os x through a palm. i dont believe it but i want to see what everyone elses reasons are for it not being real. i see that the harddrive attached to the palm is taped on and seems to be drawing its power from the palm. not possible... right? check it out anyways... you need quicktime 6 though =)

10. macrumors 6502

I actually think this is Apple's best time to enter the portable device market with something as long as it can show some strengths and differences from the Palm and Pocket PC's. Knowing Apple they could probably do that.

I have to say though that as much as I would like to see what they could offer, I would not purchase one if it can't interoperate with a Windows based system. That is just a fact of life in this day and age unfortunately.

11. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Have you seen this?

Interesting vid, looks real enough, yet somehow I can't quite believe it.
    All though I'm sure I saw some photos of this Palm with the HDD attached to the back of it in the spymac gallerys, but I can't seem to find it now :(
    If I do I'll post a link to it.

12. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BTW...here is the second part of the video, this demos the navigation of X on the palm.

Get it here (4.37Mb .sit, again it's an mp4 once uncompressed)

13. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry for yet another post, but here's a quick screen snap for those on a 56k that don't want to download 4-15Mb mp4 files.
    It does look a little photoshoped in this cap but I can assure you in the vid it looks real.
    :confused:

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 6502a

its possible that this guy just taped a drive to his palm, created a video on his computer, then put it on the palm pilot -- there are a few programs out there now that will play vids of yer palm...

however, correct me if im wrong, but i thought that the IIIC (the palm showed off in the video) would only display 16 bit colours -- it looked like the palm in the vid had 32 bit colour...

heres an article about the IIIC -- it says it only displays 16 bit.

http://www.zdnet.com/supercenter/stories/overview/0,12069,193723,00.html

maybe the guy did a mod or sumthing......... it looks so real though...

15. macrumors 6502a

sorry to post again.. but in the same directory of the video, there is this photo -- the dock in the picture looks real weird -- it would go against the idea of someone actually creating a video off of a real OS X desktop...

http://home.no.net/macosx/PICT0002.jpg

16. macrumors 6502

It looks like a palm III c....if im not mistaken..:confused:

17. macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

not only is he running osX but he is running jaguar, see the iChat icon. so i highly doubt that this guy is just some joe without some access inside apple. thea is if its real:D

18. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good observation! I hadn't noticed that. :rolleyes:
    I wonder if it could just be possible...:confused:

19. macrumors 6502a

man, but this guy has to be pretty smart to replace a 16 bit screen with a 32 bit screen AND get it to run OS X...

a 16bit screen is only 256 colours -- and it looked like there were more than that on that screen -- it looked like a 32 bit screen which supports way more coulours -- 1024 colours.

i doubt this is real.. im just wondering how this guy did it at this point...

[edit] also, why the heck would apple release a PDA in a Palm encasing :rolleyes:.. overall i think this is just weird - without much significance... [/edit]

[edit] i still honestly think that that spymac video of the iWalk has been the most realistic - though hard to believe...[/edit]

20. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

16-bit is somthin like 65000 colors actually! :p

21. macrumors 6502a

oh.. i see :( .. sorry bout that... but anyways, ive seen a IIIC and it clearly doesnt have as many colours as OS X uses.. yet the video looks like it has as many colours as OS X has... im prolly wrong.. hehe.. but just a thought. :eek:

22. macrumors 68030

britboy

It is indeed a Palm IIIc, a model with a maximum of 8MB RAM. The 'About This Mac' says the PDA has (i think) 36MB RAM. Either i have my facts wrong, or this is just another fake.

How can this be be 'proof' of an Apple PDA? In the vids you can clearly see that the guy has taped a HD to the back of his Palm. That wouldn't even be a first prototype for apple :rolleyes:

Damon~ Yes, there is a "collective sigh" every time this rumour comes around, but the PDA market just isn't profitable enough. Look at Palm and Handsprings' stock: from $60 and $90 respectively in Nov. 2000, they are both in the mid $1 range now. That doesn't sound to me like the healthiest market for apple to be entering.

23. macrumors 68000

topicolo

Actually, the article said that the IIIc displays only 256 colors, which is 8-bit. 16 bit color is 65536 colors.

24. macrumors 6502a

sorry, what i meant is that it displayed 256 colours and only that.. and that OS X requires a palette of more than 256 colours and that it OS X wouldnt look as good as it does in the video if the palm was truly 256 colours.

25. macrumors 6502a

jadam

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    thats the most BS ive ever seen. Umm the Palm IIIC is only 18mhz, has a 256color screen(8bit) and THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL YOU COULD HOOK UP A HARD DRIVE TO A PALM IIIC, it has no expansion ports, other than the 115kbs Serial Port. This is definetly a hacked job, not to mention, Palm IIIc's cant play videos, well, they can, but only at like 7fps. So this is complete Bull****!.

now, if he was running this video ona PocketPC, it would be more believable, Since On PocketPC's you can hook up Toshiba 10gb Hard drives or IBM 1GB Microdrives, and they run @ 206mhz and have 16bit(65,000) color screens. he could of easily have been playing a DivX movie on it, but there is no way in hell. Not to mention, dont you gusy think that interface would be a little TOO cluttered for a PDA?? i mean seriously. OH YEAH!!! DUMB ASSES DID I FORGET TO MENTION, THE PALM IIIC ONLY HAS A 160X160 RESOLUTION. How sharp is the screen in that picture?? it looks like 1024x768 on a 2" screen, now that is COMPLETE BS. You guys just dont know your hardware well enough. BTW, if they could run OSX on that hardware, then they would be still selling Classic Macs, as they have the SAME processors, and probally BETTER video cards.