Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple today that details how new brushing and polishing tools could be used to finish a wireless charging station.

While the application covers general polishing techniques for cylindrical and contoured surfaces, Patently Apple notes that the patent also details ways to create a space for an inductive charging coil, confirming that the tools are designed specifically for the creation of a wireless charging device.

Screen-Shot-2016-09-09-at-10.37.35.jpg

In describing how the tools would work, the application includes multiple illustrations of a charging station used to provide electrical current to another device via inductive power transmission. An inductive transmitter coil wraps around a metal core and is designed to pair with a receiver coil and charge the battery in the electronic device.

Apple notes that the charging station could include an electromagnetically transparent support surface for the device to be charged, allowing it to sit on the station unencumbered and receive power wirelessly via the induction coupling technology. The charging station is also described as including a port for a USB-type connector cable to connect with an external power source, such as a laptop.

The patent application was filed in late 2015, and provides ample evidence that Apple's engineering teams continue to investigate wireless charging solutions. Indeed, Apple has had an interest in the technology ever since the first iPhone, gaining patents for wireless charging stations and wireless charging via near field magnetic resonance, which wirelessly charges a device within a certain region.

Earlier this year, one rumor source suggested the iPhone 7 would feature wireless charging as well as better waterproofing and no headphone jack. However, that report warned that the charging feature could be pulled from the iPhone 7 for a future iteration of the device, since Apple was still working on the technology.

Indeed, only two of the aforementioned features were ultimately realized this week, indicating Apple may have purposely held back the charging technology in order for it to be included in its tenth anniversary "iPhone 8", said to be debuting next year.

The suggestion will undoubtedly grate for some readers, given that this would have been the perfect solution for charging an iPhone and listening to music through wired headphones at the same time, rather than using the more cumbersome charging dock method suggested by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller.

Back in September 2012, however, Schiller said that Apple wasn't sure of how convenient the then-current state of wireless charging technology was, since most wireless charging systems had to be plugged into a wall. This may explain why Apple is still exploring the technology. Indeed, the company has shown an interest in WiTricity's wireless charging tech, which uses a "hidden charging" method that allows magnetic fields to wrap around barriers, which would allow users to place their charging pads wherever they want.

Article Link: Apple Still Working to Perfect Wireless Charging Technology for 'iPhone 8'

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
The whole point of the iPhone 7 was to cop all the **** before the iPhone 8. That's the iPhone I'm waiting for.

Reactions: Yummy_Brains

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
I'd bet my bottom dollar that this'll be in the 2018 model. 2017 one is going to be the 7S with full waterproofing.
[doublepost=1473417091][/doublepost]

You mean like those A-series CPUs that completely spank the competition?
Except Samsung Exynos 8890 CPUs, If LG decided to use the Apple Ax CPUs on one of their smartphones running android, the performance will be...well you know the resto_O

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
How do you get rid of the wires, since the charging unit has to be plugged in?
Since its not a thing yet, I don't know how the wire setup will be with the charging unit, but I imagine, I hope I can minimize the cords exposure and make it more permanent that way verses having a long dangling cord from the wall to the iDevice that the kitties play with when I'm sleeping or not looking.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
How well ceramics does conduct heat away from these A1x-chips that are extremely powerful? What is the max peak power of A10? How many watt-hours it can use in one minute?

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Huh? iPhone is jam packed.
Jam packed with what, a battery?

Windows phones can connect to a display and keyboard and serve as a kind of a desktop replacement, Samsung phones have edge to edge screen, Huawei dual camera phones have refocusing and not just a blurred background "coming later this year" (HTC had this feature first in 2014). Not to mention better water resistance in some of those and an audio jack (and some support a memory card, dual SIM etc etc).

The best thing about new iPhone is the processor, it's crazy powerful but what's the point really. Heavy gamers are the ones who need it. With all that power and money and human resources we could have a much better phone. The vision is lacking.

Last edited:

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Wireless charging would be nice for me so I can eliminate the cords at my bedside that the cats like to chew on. :p

i'm not sure i'd want a wireless charger next to my head while sleeping..
[doublepost=1473419121][/doublepost]

Windows phones can connect to a monitor and keyboard and serve as a kind of a desktop replacement, Samsung phones have edge to edge screen, Huawei dual camera phones have real refocusing and not just a blurred background "coming later this year". Not to mention better water resistance in some of those and an audio jack (and some support a memory card, dual SIM etc etc).

so basically what you are saying is:
everyone has something, noone has it all. now what?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This sounds exactly like the whole copy/paste ******** in the first iPhone. Copy/paste is there, but not on the iPhone. Apple brings it to us and people explode in excitement as though they've never heard of such magic. Wireless charging has been around for a while. I'm unsure what perfecting it needs as I've never owned a device that could take advantage of it. I do believe though that I anticipated it coming in the iPhone 7 especially since they got rid of the 3.5mm jack.

Reactions: ohio.emt

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
Since its not a thing yet, I don't know how the wire setup will be with the charging unit, but I imagine, I hope I can minimize the cords exposure and make it more permanent that way verses having a long dangling cord from the wall to the iDevice that the kitties play with when I'm sleeping or not looking.
Since your talking about the future..Why not get rid of the entire charging completely? and get unlimited 3 to 5 years of battery life until the battery dies completely

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I don't see how it would be much different than having a cell phone or wifi device in the same room. Radio waves are everywhere, from AM/FM, TV, WiFi, BT, cellular, HF, UHF, VHF, public safety systems, and so forth.
I do. Magnetic waves are not radiowaves. And it's all about power. You wouldn't keep open microwave oven running besides your head either.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
If wireless charging requires the iPhone to physically contact some kind of 'puck' then it won't help in many of the situations where people might want to use their phone whilst charging and using headphones ie watching a movie at night, playing games etc...

I also worry that you will need charging pucks everywhere, one by the bed, one on your desk, one in the car etc...

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida

Windows phones can connect to a monitor and keyboard and serve as a kind of a desktop replacement, Samsung phones have edge to edge screen, Huawei dual camera phones have refocusing and not just a blurred background "coming later this year" (HTC had this feature first in 2014). Not to mention better water resistance in some of those and an audio jack (and some support a memory card, dual SIM etc etc).

The best thing about new iPhone is the processor, it's crazy powerful but what't the point really. Heavy gamers are the ones who need it. With all that power and money and human resources we could have a much better phone. The vision is lacking.

Are you serious lol

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Wireless charging has been around for a while. I'm unsure what perfecting it needs as I've never owned a device that could take advantage of it. I do believe though that I anticipated it coming in the iPhone 7 especially since they got rid of the 3.5mm jack.

Try the article for info on the things that need to be worked on:

"Indeed, Apple has had an interest in the technology ever since the first iPhone, gaining patents for wireless charging stations and wireless charging via near field magnetic resonance, which wirelessly charges a device within a certain region."

"Back in September 2012, however, Schiller said that Apple wasn't sure of how convenient the then-current state of wireless charging technology was, since most wireless charging systems had to be plugged into a wall. This may explain why Apple is still exploring the technology. Indeed, the company has shown an interest in WiTricity's wireless charging tech, which uses a "hidden charging" method that allows magnetic fields to wrap around barriers, which would allow users to place their charging pads wherever they want. "

Fingerprint readers were in devices long before Touch ID - they sucked. Implementation counts. I hope it's the Magnetic Resonance type rather than a simple pad to place your phone on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.