Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo today reported to AppleInsider that Apple may be on the verge of phasing out its white MacBook, the company's longtime entry-level notebook. In particular, Kuo notes that internal shipment forecasts show build plans for the MacBook "suspiciously" tailing off next month with no signs of a replacement.
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities shared with AppleInsider Tuesday that industry checks show that Apple's internal shipment forecast for the white MacBook suspiciously drops-off in August of this year, which leads him to believe that the notebook may go "end of life" around the same time.
As noted in our Buyer's Guide, the MacBook hasn't been updated since May 2010, a period of 427 days. With supplies tightening late last month, speculation regarding a potential refresh or a discontinuation began to circulate.

macbook_2010.jpg

Signs of life sparked again last week when it was claimed that leaked part numbers for an upcoming hardware update included a new MacBook model. That interpretation was incorrect, however, as the part number in question turned out to be for an as-yet unreleased LED Cinema Display with Thunderbolt that leaked on Apple's own site late last week.

Kuo argues that with Apple's MacBook Air line now beginning at the same $999 price point as the MacBook, Apple may feel that it can discontinue the plastic notebook and direct consumers to the thinner and lighter MacBook Air line. Apple's MacBook shipments have reportedly fallen to just 80,000-100,000 per month so far this year, representing less than 10% of Apple's Mac sales.

With Apple rumored to be boosting the MacBook Air to a minimum of 128 GB of solid state storage, even the base model may be sufficient for many users. The MacBook Air does not, however, feature an optical drive, and entry-level consumers who still wish to have optical drive capabilities will have to either take advantage of the Remote Disc capabilities through an optical drive on another computer or purchase an external MacBook Air SuperDrive for an additional $79.

Article Link: Apple Phasing Out White MacBook in Favor of Entry-Level MacBook Air?

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Only 80,000-100,000 per month. Haha (That's still pretty good)

Isn't it crazy that those number are less than 10%...so another 90% of awesome sales are still happening and PC still dominates (in numbers) the market.

I feel like we have more computers out there than humans! :p

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Not surprising. They did the same thing with the higher capacity iPod classic. Phased it out for the iPod touch.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I am not sure how this makes sense taking into consideration the fact that the Macbook outsells the other Mac hardware. Well, according to the Apple online store rankings. It doesn't really matter to me since I would have never bought the white Macbook, but I am trying to understand the business decision behind this.

Edit: Sorry, it's number 5 in the US store behind the iMac and MBP. It's ahead in the UK store. The numbers quoted in the article don't really make sense. Or is the "Top Sellers" bit in the Apple store erroneous?

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Not surprising at all, I remember speculating this when the new line of MBAs came out, doesn't really make sense offering both at $999, most people will take the Air.

DylanT

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Well, a $999 air would be suitable to some people but others would still just want the good ole' macbook. I would go with the air, because I do not need a CD drive.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
According to Apple, MacBook sells more than MBAs together... See "Top Sellers" on the right-hand-side http://store.apple.com/us

I doubt this will happen. Or why not discontinue 13" MBP as well, there is 13" MBA at same price points after all :rolleyes: This sounds like another useless analyst

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Not surprising at all, I remember speculating this when the new like of MBAs came out, doesn't really make sense offering both at $999, most people will take the Air.
Say you didn't have a computer at all and you needed one.

Right now you'd take an Air (w/64GB) over a MB?

And I'm saying right now...not when the refresh comes out tomorrow...but now.

No way...that would be silly.

Edit - The only way a MBA is good as you're ONLY computer is if you get an Ultimate. Other than that the Air is for portability...IMO.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
not surprising.

the white macbook did really well with their old product line of when there was no 13" mbp and the base entry was the whitebook. With the lower pricepoint of the 13 mbp, the death of the whitebook was inevitable. Through its introduction and now the MBA, it cannibalized sales. I wasn't even a fan of the new unibody macbooks. The bottom case was really ugly with the rubber bottom.

Its a good time to remove it from their product line if they do. If they don't, well it wont hurt them.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Without a Macbook, they need to redo the naming scheme. No point in having a Macbook Pro and Air without a "Macbook."

I'm glad in a way, because it signals Apple moving more toward the Air's design.

I am eagerly awaiting the next Macbook Pro refresh, because I think it will be a redesign without the optical drive. I likely will go with the Macbook Pro if that occurs.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
And thus officially begins the end of Apple's relationship with optical media. Smart move getting all the college kids to take the leap, thats where the real cultural changes stem from.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
The 13" MacBook Pro would be the logical replacement since it's only a tad more money and also faster.

A MacBook Air is going to be slower than that white MacBook.

The MBA market is more the people that like gimmick hardware. The 13" takes up the same space as a Pro besides being thinner. Yet its also slower and more money.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
According to Apple, MacBook sells more than MBAs together... See "Top Sellers" on the right-hand-side http://store.apple.com/us

I doubt this will happen. Or why not discontinue 13" MBP as well, there is 13" MBA at same price points after all :rolleyes: This sounds like another useless analyst
According to the Apple store, yes, but the numbers quoted in the article do not make any sense then.

:confused:

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I don't really see the point of the Air. It's always seemed fragile, and not having a CD drive is a bit...well, it's something alright.

I'm not in love with the all-white look, but I think it's an odd choice to phase out the MB for the Air. Why not a less-powerful, cheaper MBP instead?

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
The MacBook is no longer needed. The MBA fits the same niche for those that want a laptop in that price range.

The iPad is Apple's new MacBook. The iPad fills the niche of a computing device for the average consumer better than the MacBook.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

The MacBook seems to go for the people who want an optical drive and larger harddrive instead of speed but smaller storage.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wish they would make the 13 inch air the same price as the current 13 Mbp.....and the 13 Mbp the price of the current 13 MBA. In other words, air is lower end and pros are upper end. Right now, I don't want to pay more for lighter but less CPU power.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Say you didn't have a computer at all and you needed one.

Right now you'd take an Air (w/64GB) over a MB?

And I'm saying right now...not when the refresh comes out tomorrow...but now.

No way...that would be silly.

Edit - The only way a MBA is good as you're ONLY computer is if you get an Ultimate. Other than that the Air is for portability...IMO.

I would definitely grab the current base MBA as my only computer over the white MB.. Since these new MBAs at 999 I always felt that way..

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
And thus officially begins the end of Apple's relationship with optical media. Smart move getting all the college kids to take the leap, thats where the real cultural changes stem from.
You make a good point about the cultural change, but the Super Drive is the top selling Mac accessory. ;)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I know the MacBook is prone to cracking but it feels more substantial than the MacBook Air. Not sure if a MacBook Air is sturdy enough for entry level users and students who can be hard on their computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.