Apple Photo editing software

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Gherkin, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Apple really needs to make a basic level photo editor. Maybe they could build it right into iPhoto.

Apple Photo:photoshop as Garageband:Logic

That's basically what I want.

What I usually use for stuff like this is GraphicConverter, which isn't that great. Is there anything free to download that would be better than GraphicConverter?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

How basic? Red-eye/cropping/slight airbrushing basic? That's already there...

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

There's also Photoshop Elements if you're looking for more advanced features than the ones already offered by iPhoto.

4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

They are already close to pissing off MS .. now why would they go piss off Adobe too ..

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Photoshop Elements is a great alternative

And contrary to what has been said,
    I think Graphic Converter is a great tool and value!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Didn't they already do that?

I thought that Adobe was really pissed that Apple was competing with Adobe Premiere...

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That would be correct... which is why Adobe canned Premiere for the Mac.
    There is a thread on this.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

8. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

But I don't think Premiere ever had the same installed base on the Mac as Photoshop has ..

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Can anyone point me to a point by point feature comparrison of Elements and CS?

Thanks
    Rob

10. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Yes, indeed--a good comparison is on the Adobe site.

My basic take is that unless you need to do color separations for a professional printer, or blend color curves, and a very few other really advanced things, is that Elements will do at least 80% of what CS will do at a fraction of the cost, and the other 20% can be gotten through add-ons if you really need to do them.

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ok, I must be daft. I can't find a point by point comparrison on Adobe's site... I see all the product discriptions for CS and Elements, but not a feature comparrison type chart... :confused:

Anyways, I was also wondering if there will be an Elements upgrade with the Photoshop 9 upgrade?

Thanks,
    Rob

12. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

The Elements (3) upgrade was released a few weeks ago. It's a winner. The few nits people are picking on the Adobe PSE forum will probably be addressed shortly, and they are minor.

I'll find a comparison of PSE and the real PS CS and pm that to you, unless others express an interest.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

IIRC something like 90% of Premiere users are PC users and Premiere Pro was a completely new, ground up version of Premiere. Why spend the time and money to create a product for 10% (and shrinking) of your audience. Adobe dropped Premiere for the Mac because it made sense, not out of spite. I don't think there is any way a Mac version of Premiere Pro would've covered its costs.

Lethal

14. fBaran macrumors regular

It's like Paint, and it's called Teal. It's better than photoshop for just basic stuff.