Apple Photo editing software

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Gherkin, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2004
    #1
    Apple really needs to make a basic level photo editor. Maybe they could build it right into iPhoto.

    Apple Photo:photoshop as Garageband:Logic

    That's basically what I want.

    What I usually use for stuff like this is GraphicConverter, which isn't that great. Is there anything free to download that would be better than GraphicConverter?
     
  2. Counterfit macrumors G3

    Counterfit

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Location:
    sitting on your shoulder
    #2
    How basic? Red-eye/cropping/slight airbrushing basic? That's already there...
     
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

    munkle

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2004
    Location:
    On a jet plane
    #3
    There's also Photoshop Elements if you're looking for more advanced features than the ones already offered by iPhoto.
     
  4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

    Mertzen

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2004
    Location:
    ]KLGA[
    #4
    They are already close to pissing off MS .. now why would they go piss off Adobe too ..
     
  5. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #5
    Photoshop Elements is a great alternative

    And contrary to what has been said,
    I think Graphic Converter is a great tool and value!

    Woof, Woof - Dawg
     
  6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

    DavidLeblond

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    #6
    Didn't they already do that?

    I thought that Adobe was really pissed that Apple was competing with Adobe Premiere...
     
  7. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #7
    That would be correct... which is why Adobe canned Premiere for the Mac.
    There is a thread on this.

    Woof, Woof - Dawg
     
  8. Mertzen macrumors 6502

    Mertzen

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2004
    Location:
    ]KLGA[
    #8
    But I don't think Premiere ever had the same installed base on the Mac as Photoshop has ..
     
  9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

    mrgreen4242

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    #9
    Can anyone point me to a point by point feature comparrison of Elements and CS?


    Thanks
    Rob
     
  10. JDar macrumors 6502a

    JDar

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2003
    #10
    Yes, indeed--a good comparison is on the Adobe site.

    My basic take is that unless you need to do color separations for a professional printer, or blend color curves, and a very few other really advanced things, is that Elements will do at least 80% of what CS will do at a fraction of the cost, and the other 20% can be gotten through add-ons if you really need to do them.
     
  11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

    mrgreen4242

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    #11
    Ok, I must be daft. I can't find a point by point comparrison on Adobe's site... I see all the product discriptions for CS and Elements, but not a feature comparrison type chart... :confused:

    Anyways, I was also wondering if there will be an Elements upgrade with the Photoshop 9 upgrade?

    Thanks,
    Rob
     
  12. JDar macrumors 6502a

    JDar

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2003
    #12
    The Elements (3) upgrade was released a few weeks ago. It's a winner. The few nits people are picking on the Adobe PSE forum will probably be addressed shortly, and they are minor.

    I'll find a comparison of PSE and the real PS CS and pm that to you, unless others express an interest.
     
  13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

    LethalWolfe

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #13
    IIRC something like 90% of Premiere users are PC users and Premiere Pro was a completely new, ground up version of Premiere. Why spend the time and money to create a product for 10% (and shrinking) of your audience. Adobe dropped Premiere for the Mac because it made sense, not out of spite. I don't think there is any way a Mac version of Premiere Pro would've covered its costs.

    Lethal
     
  14. fBaran macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2003
    #14
    It's like Paint, and it's called Teal. It's better than photoshop for just basic stuff.
     

Share This Page